Gransnet forums

News & politics

Is Starmer finally getting his team together to fight back?

(196 Posts)
PippaZ Thu 09-Sep-21 11:03:43

Yesterday Keir Starmer was his usual self, knowledgable, patient with childlike behaviour, and cutting to the truth.

But I found Rachel Reeves (Shadow Chancellor), came up with all I could want and I wasn't the only one to notice. Paul Waugh, in his Huffpost email, was full of praise for the double act.

Starmer made all the right points. He cannily picked up on the fact that Johnson’s new plan would not only breach his manifesto pledges on tax, but it would also even breach his manifesto pledge on social care.

He did comment that it lacked drama. Something I think many of us have been hoping for and not seen. But then came Rachel Reeves. After a lack-lustre performance from Jesse Norman who tried to convince the Tory MPs that black is white and that this was very much a Tory policy in she stepped.

She used the soundbites Johnson et all are so well known for. When talking about the NHS and care workers she shouted over the Tories “last year the public clapped them, this year the Tories taxed them”. My heart began to lift a little.

Shouting successfully over the Tory pantomime she called out “this unfair, job taxing, manifesto-shredding, tax bombshell”. This sounded like politics, sometimes condemned, but in this instance getting over what many have seen to be the case.

She even did a "Johnson" and had the Labour MPs yelling ‘No!’ after a string of questions on the government's plan’s flaws, one of which had been handed to her by Sajid Javid’s blustering meets with the media: “Will it clear the NHS backlog this parliament? No! called back the opposition "And the health secretary says no.” she carefully added.

Great though it was to see the heart back in the LP she also filled out a little of what Starmer had hinted at re the Labour Party Plans. Starmer's agreement with ex-Chancellor Osbourne's "those with the broadest shoulders" widened out to "those who get their income from financial assets, stocks and shares, sales of property, pension income, annuity income, interest income, property rental income, inheritance income". As Paul Waugh noted, this list may be long enough to raise the money needed and do away with this iniquitous levy.

Those who are left or left-leaning please watch this speech. It may be a landmark; at the very least it will raise your spirits I think.

www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000zkst/house-of-commons-08092021 - 08/09/2021 at about 1:15:10 in.

Urmstongran Mon 27-Sep-21 21:40:34

I don’t think Labour are getting their act together. Which is a shame because the country is crying out for a decent alternative.

sometimes Boris must wonder how he got so lucky to have this lot in opposition..

Kali2 Mon 27-Sep-21 21:39:40

Shocking news right now:

Moments ago, the Labour Party's Conference debated Proportional Representation for general elections.

A whopping 80% of delegates representing Labour members voted in favour of a proposal that "the next Labour government must change the voting system for general elections to a form of Proportional Representation".

But half the votes at Labour conference are cast by affiliated trade unions, most of whom have no policy on Proportional Representation. Disappointingly, the motion fell.

lemongrove Mon 27-Sep-21 21:30:20

Because the far left within the LP are actively doing great harm to it and the far right in the Conserv Party aren’t ( at the moment anyway.)

MayBee70 Mon 27-Sep-21 19:33:31

Can anyone explain to me why the news media are constantly going on about the far left in the Labour Party but not the far right in the Conservatives.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 27-Sep-21 18:13:02

trisher

Kali2 I wish I could believe that Starmer would protect the NHS and the education sector. But then I remember that Blair actively encouraged privatisation and created Academy schools. And Starmer so far has reneged on all the promises he made when he was standing as leader. It isn't much use having a Labour government if all they do is pave the way for more Tory policies.

Blimey trisher I agree with you

lemongrove Mon 27-Sep-21 18:12:33

Riverwalk

Did anyone hear Rachel Reeves on LBC about an hour ago?

Another Labour politician who can't answer a simple question about women and cervixes. She was so utterly flummoxed and couldn't even speak, it was embarrassing - I thought she was about to cry!

twitter.com/LBC/status/1442380463298027520

In fairness to Reeves ( and anyone else) they are all so anxious to avoid being labelled ‘transphobic’ and vilified by the trans lobby that they don’t know what to say for the best.

Kali2 Mon 27-Sep-21 18:06:56

I cannot, and will not- accept that Centre Left with Starmer- can be worse than continuing with ERG and Johnson.

Truly, no, I cannot.

And the 'left' of Labour will not be electable any time soon.

Tragic.

trisher Mon 27-Sep-21 17:48:45

Kali2 I wish I could believe that Starmer would protect the NHS and the education sector. But then I remember that Blair actively encouraged privatisation and created Academy schools. And Starmer so far has reneged on all the promises he made when he was standing as leader. It isn't much use having a Labour government if all they do is pave the way for more Tory policies.

Kali2 Mon 27-Sep-21 15:52:42

trisher

Kali2

At the end of the day Trisher - would you have preferred Blair or Thatcher (and I am NOT talking about Irak here)?

Oh I voted for Blair Kali2 I'm not ashamed to admit I fell for the hype. The thing Starmer has to realise is that people won't fall for it again.

Oh and I get it, totally, and with respect, I can assure you.

But then what? Surely the realities of First Past the Post system have to prevail? I cannot believe, for 1 millisecond- that you would prefe ERG far right Tories again, to Left of Centre electable Starmer. Because Tories again would be a tragedy and allow the final destruction of the NHS and so much more.

Because if Tories choose to go to elections early, as I think they might - Labour is NOT in any shape of form, presenting an electable opposition. And yes, Starmer is IN OPPOSITION- without any doubt in my mind, and pro NHS and State Edu, and Social Care and more. But NOT anti-business per se- and I agree. We want a fair society, where everyone counts and has basic standards and decent facilities- but I for one am NOT anti business, but anti tax evasion and exploitation, and that is NOT paternalism, but common sense.

trisher Mon 27-Sep-21 12:18:29

Anniebach

trisher Blair and Brown gave us ‘New Labour’, they worked closely together, so you are calling Gordon Brown a Tory .

The only period Labour won three executive general elections,

The far left Labour Party gave us the Thatcher era and now
Boris Johnson.

And those governments left so much unchanged it was as if they never existed. No change on Union rights. No programme for council house building. No renationalisation of the railways. Continuing privatisation of the NHS. etc etc.

Anniebach Mon 27-Sep-21 12:13:05

Should Starmer use Corbyn’s words when he was asked about
his attendance at the wreath laying ceremony for the terrorists
who murdered an Olympic Team ?

‘Yes I was there but I don’t know if I was involved’ !

trisher Mon 27-Sep-21 12:12:15

Kali2

At the end of the day Trisher - would you have preferred Blair or Thatcher (and I am NOT talking about Irak here)?

Oh I voted for Blair Kali2 I'm not ashamed to admit I fell for the hype. The thing Starmer has to realise is that people won't fall for it again.

Anniebach Mon 27-Sep-21 12:09:33

trisher Blair and Brown gave us ‘New Labour’, they worked closely together, so you are calling Gordon Brown a Tory .

The only period Labour won three executive general elections,

The far left Labour Party gave us the Thatcher era and now
Boris Johnson.

Grany Mon 27-Sep-21 12:02:30

Starmer should stop attacking his own party and attack the Tories. He was voted in on a unity ticket and 10 pledges he soon abandoned them all. We all know Johnson is a liar now Starmer is a liar too and people who believe in democracy want a leader to do as they promised they would.

Kali2 Mon 27-Sep-21 11:56:54

trisher Mon 27-Sep-21 11:55:16

Anniebach

Kali MayBee. You are in good company, trisher called
Gordon Brown, a Tory .

Did I? I think what I said was the only Labour government the right wing press would allow was a Tory-lite one. As I remember Brown was consistently mocked in the press for his dour looks. He never won a GE.
Now if you'd said I thought Tony Blair was a Tory you would be absolutely right-and so did Margaret Thatcher.

PippaZ Mon 27-Sep-21 11:02:07

I think that by the time we get to the next election we will be looking at the calm, trustworthy politicians not the lot we've got.

Right now I can see why revolutions happen.

Lincslass Mon 27-Sep-21 09:40:45

growstuff

Ilovecheese

But Labour M.P.s shouting out "no" is just as childish as Tory M.Ps shouting.

Glad she gave some more information of what could be Labour's intentions,

"finanancial assets, stocks and shares, sales of property, pension income, annuity income, interest income, property rental income, inheritance income"

That would be a much fairer solution.

But this is the same Rachel Reeves who wanted to cut benefit payments even more than the Tories.
I can't take what she says now seriously because of what she said in the past. How do I get over that?

If you vote Conservative, I would have thought you'd have had plenty of practice in getting over broken pledges and U-turns.

Yes, makes it very easy to vote for neither.

Riverwalk Mon 27-Sep-21 09:19:15

Did anyone hear Rachel Reeves on LBC about an hour ago?

Another Labour politician who can't answer a simple question about women and cervixes. She was so utterly flummoxed and couldn't even speak, it was embarrassing - I thought she was about to cry!

twitter.com/LBC/status/1442380463298027520

Anniebach Mon 27-Sep-21 08:14:52

Kali MayBee. You are in good company, trisher called
Gordon Brown, a Tory .

trisher Sun 26-Sep-21 22:15:37

Grany

Interviewing Starmer he was shown clip of people who when asked what they think of him as leader all of them said that they didn't know what he stands for and should be stronger against Johnson. Starmer's reply was well I was chatting to two taxi drivers had a good talk with them, What he should have replied was well I would tell these people what polices I have and how I would change things for the better.

Only he can't because he hasn't any and he won't change things. Well he might but only if a focus group tells him he has to.

Grany Sun 26-Sep-21 21:45:00

Interviewing Starmer he was shown clip of people who when asked what they think of him as leader all of them said that they didn't know what he stands for and should be stronger against Johnson. Starmer's reply was well I was chatting to two taxi drivers had a good talk with them, What he should have replied was well I would tell these people what polices I have and how I would change things for the better.

Kali2 Sun 26-Sep-21 20:01:35

MayBee70

lemongrove

I had hoped, that if the LP won the next GE ( they must do at some point surely!) then with Keir Starmer as PM and Reeves as Chancellor that meant a reliable duo.
However, with the far left nipping at their heels the whole time, will either of them be still in place in a few years ?
The last GE was a wipe out for the LP and yet the far left wish to repeat that ( seemingly).

But they can’t see it, can they? You should read some of the vitriol I get on Labour Party pages telling me I’m a Tory and it’s people like me that stopped Corbyn from being PM ( even though, as I keep telling them, I still voted for him and have probably been voting Labour since before most of them were born).

Same here - accused of being a Leftie all the time, and at the same time, a Tory by t'other side. It is actually stangely funny ...

Visgir1 Sun 26-Sep-21 19:58:45

After watching his performance on Marr this morning. This Knight of the realm, will lead the Labour party back into the wilderness.

MayBee70 Sun 26-Sep-21 19:09:59

lemongrove

I had hoped, that if the LP won the next GE ( they must do at some point surely!) then with Keir Starmer as PM and Reeves as Chancellor that meant a reliable duo.
However, with the far left nipping at their heels the whole time, will either of them be still in place in a few years ?
The last GE was a wipe out for the LP and yet the far left wish to repeat that ( seemingly).

But they can’t see it, can they? You should read some of the vitriol I get on Labour Party pages telling me I’m a Tory and it’s people like me that stopped Corbyn from being PM ( even though, as I keep telling them, I still voted for him and have probably been voting Labour since before most of them were born).