Gransnet forums

News & politics

Michael Gove: Leaked Tapes

(59 Posts)
grannyactivist Mon 13-Sep-21 22:46:20

Two things about this:

1. The timing of the leak is very suspicious. After all, these tapes have been around for decades.

2. If he were my son I would be deeply disappointed in him.

www.independent.co.uk/tv/news/michael-gove-sexist-racist-audio-vb0de1f5b

FannyCornforth Wed 15-Sep-21 06:42:42

MayBee70

I’ll never forget the way Gove used his fathers name during the referendum campaign and his father then publicly said that what Gove had said was a lie.

What was that MayBee?
What did he say about his dad?
Thank you

MaizieD Wed 15-Sep-21 09:35:58

FannyCornforth

MayBee70

I’ll never forget the way Gove used his fathers name during the referendum campaign and his father then publicly said that what Gove had said was a lie.

What was that MayBee?
Thank you

He said his father's business had been destroyed by the EU fisheries policies, IIRR.

MayBee70 Wed 15-Sep-21 09:54:48

MaizieD

FannyCornforth

MayBee70

What was that MayBee?
Thank you

He said his father's business had been destroyed by the EU fisheries policies, IIRR.

I can still actually picture him in my mind saying it: it irritated me at the time and it irritated me even more when his father pointed out that it was untrue. But, as with everything brexit, everyone seemed to take in the lies and disregard the truth. I suppose I was biased as my daughter was a teacher at the time so I already disliked the man for what he’d done to her profession.

trisher Wed 15-Sep-21 09:58:07

growstuff

Callistemon

trisher

He was speaking at the Cambridge Union. It is undoubtedly the sort of place where such humour would be appreciated. He obviously knew his audience. A bunch of over-privileged, racist, sexist prats being enterained by one of their own.

Not everyone who goes to Oxford or Cambridge is an over-privileged, racist, sexist prat trisher!

I agree. My partner went to Oxford and later to Cambridge. He comes from a working-class background and he's neither racist nor sexist. I don't think he's a prat either (although I guess I'm a bit biased).

This was the Cambridge Union. Not all students at Cambridge are members of the Union some no doubt couldn't afford the £100+ membership, others wouldn't want to join.
Cambridge did in the '80s and '90s still have an overwhelming number of students who had been privately educated. They have recently tried to ammend this and admit more state educated students.
And the odd student with progressive views by no means negates the fact that the Cambridge Union has always been a reactionary organisation. It didn't admit women until the 1960s .

PippaZ Wed 15-Sep-21 09:59:01

Goodness. That just leaves me feeling incredibly sad. I mean really, really sad. We actually gave these people power over us. How? Why? Do we never learn?

JaneJudge Wed 15-Sep-21 10:01:35

I always wonder how easy (or difficult) for 'working class' students to fit into all those formal dinners and balls they have too. My next door neighbours son got 4 A* at an ordinary school and passed the entrance exams but was really put off by it all and didn't feel like he 'belonged' there

JaneJudge Wed 15-Sep-21 10:02:29

PippaZ

Goodness. That just leaves me feeling incredibly sad. I mean really, really sad. We actually gave these people power over us. How? Why? Do we never learn?

I know, I feel exactly the same. I hate the way they talk about and treat women too.

Whatdayisit Wed 15-Sep-21 22:27:35

Hasn't stopped him getting a new post. Of course not. Sleazebags.