Gransnet forums

News & politics

Reintroducing Imperial measures…..

(296 Posts)
MayBee70 Fri 17-Sep-21 00:10:51

Please tell me the government aren’t planning to do this and it’s just a joke…..

25Avalon Sat 18-Sep-21 18:42:55

Brunel’s broad gauge.

Alegrias1 Sat 18-Sep-21 18:49:05

25Avalon

Different times on the railways was because that was the actual time where they were. Bristol time was behind London time and Exeter time behind that again for example. To avoid confusion it was decided the whole country should be on the same time which is how Greenwich Mean Time was applied everywhere.

The gauge on railway tracks also related to the size of Engine so you ended up with abrunel’s broad gauge, which was actually more stable, being unable to run on standard gauge, so at Gloucester all the freight had to be transferred from one train to another. It was therefore decided to have one uniform gauge which was the smaller standard gauge as one could not be transposed on the other. Unlike metric and imperial so not a very good analogy.

I know ?

So like an analogy with each company doing what they thought was right but in the end it was better to standardise...

Never mind.

Patsytaylor Sat 18-Sep-21 19:04:30

I have never used metric. I'm 70 so have always weigh pounds and ounces , yards , feet and inches. I'm probably a bit of a numpty but could never get the hang of metric hmm

Mamie Sat 18-Sep-21 19:29:48

I am in awe of these people who could happily multiply and divide in base 12,14,16 etc. I just used to sit at my desk and cry.
Would you really want your grandchildren chanting pecks, bushels, chains and furlongs from the inside cover of the maths textbook?

Saetana Sat 18-Sep-21 19:35:10

Nobody is reimposing imperial measures - the government are just removing the EU law that meant people could be prosecuted (and a few were) for using those measures in their businesses. Storm in a teacup. I'm comfortable with either for the most part.

Florida12 Sat 18-Sep-21 19:49:09

I must admit I always do a quick reckoning/conversion in my head back to imperial especially, feet and inches, stones pounds and ounces, miles, and when I am travelling I do it in hours not mileage or kilometres.
I never did it when I was a nurse though, I stuck to the mgs. And mls.
I visited my aunt last week, she is 93, and I admired her coat, thankyou she said, “it cost me 40 Guineas from the market” she has never altered in the 60+ years I have known her.

Maremia Sat 18-Sep-21 21:22:24

Hi Urmstongran, just in case no-one has already pointed out that the number below the crown on the glasses, 2043, indicates that the glasses were manufactured by a French company.

NotSpaghetti Sat 18-Sep-21 23:46:52

I have clothes which were bought in guineas florida

Cunco Tue 21-Sep-21 10:01:54

Alegrias1: Of course others disagreed with Martin Schultz. I make no other claim than that mention of the concept of a United States of Europe does not indicate paranoia. It is a live issue which has adherents in the EU although, as yet, a minority.

The meaning of the term 'ever closer union' has been a subject of debate since the Treaty of Rome in 1957. Almost 60 years later, David Cameron was still seeking to clarify its meaning. More recently, Macron has suggested reforms interpreted as either favouring greater integration or greater French influence or both.

Of course the EU is sensible to re-examine its structure, especially after its experience with Brexit and the pandemic. There are conflicting views within the EU and it will be interesting to see whether it ends in greater integration or no.

I am a eurosceptic with a background in economics and banking. I was not alone in questioning the motive or sense in creating a single currency without a more unified banking, fiscal and economic system. Its weaknesses shown in 2008. I do not wish the EU ill and nor am I blind to the errors of successive governments in the UK, exemplified by its performance before, during and after the Referendum.

Maybe you disagree but it would be better to discuss rather than trade insults. Social media offers a tremendous opportunity but sadly, it has created partizan groups who show little respect for the opinions of others.

That really is it from me. I don't think I deserve to be accused of paranoia but in the tolerant, open, kind world of extreme Remain, who knows?

Alegrias1 Tue 21-Sep-21 10:19:48

I've never been called an extreme Remainer before, but if that means I was extremely keen that we didn't withdraw from the world and pretend to be better for it, then I guess the description fits. I will never forgive the people who voted Leave. Ever. They've basically ruined out country for the forseeable, based it would seem on nebulous ideas of a United States of Europe and a focus on finding fault rather than trying to make things better.

Coincidentally, I just read this article from the New Statesman, just this morning. David Frost doesn't come out of it very well. Not sure if it can be read without a subscription, so I'll just copy the last few sentences:

...it is surely inevitable that future governments, once the argument has become less toxic, will take Britain closer to the EU rather than further away. We will creep back to an inferior, outside version of the market access we once had on the inside. On a 50-year view it will prove to be a colossal waste of time and money, all so that the Rishis and Lizzes and Andreas could briefly feel they were doing something to control the destiny of Britain.

www.newstatesman.com/politics/brexit/2021/09/the-gloom-of-leading-brexiteers-signals-a-dark-outlook-for-independent-britain

MaizieD Tue 21-Sep-21 10:44:38

Not sure if it can be read without a subscription,

I think that if you just register with them, the NS lets you read a limited number of articles each month with no charge.

I very much agree with your first paragraph, Alegrias.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 21-Sep-21 10:48:59

Alegrias1

I've never been called an extreme Remainer before, but if that means I was extremely keen that we didn't withdraw from the world and pretend to be better for it, then I guess the description fits. I will never forgive the people who voted Leave. Ever. They've basically ruined out country for the forseeable, based it would seem on nebulous ideas of a United States of Europe and a focus on finding fault rather than trying to make things better.

Coincidentally, I just read this article from the New Statesman, just this morning. David Frost doesn't come out of it very well. Not sure if it can be read without a subscription, so I'll just copy the last few sentences:

...it is surely inevitable that future governments, once the argument has become less toxic, will take Britain closer to the EU rather than further away. We will creep back to an inferior, outside version of the market access we once had on the inside. On a 50-year view it will prove to be a colossal waste of time and money, all so that the Rishis and Lizzes and Andreas could briefly feel they were doing something to control the destiny of Britain.

www.newstatesman.com/politics/brexit/2021/09/the-gloom-of-leading-brexiteers-signals-a-dark-outlook-for-independent-britain

Agree wholeheartedly

lemongrove Tue 21-Sep-21 11:47:26

Cunco

*Alegrias1*: Of course others disagreed with Martin Schultz. I make no other claim than that mention of the concept of a United States of Europe does not indicate paranoia. It is a live issue which has adherents in the EU although, as yet, a minority.

The meaning of the term 'ever closer union' has been a subject of debate since the Treaty of Rome in 1957. Almost 60 years later, David Cameron was still seeking to clarify its meaning. More recently, Macron has suggested reforms interpreted as either favouring greater integration or greater French influence or both.

Of course the EU is sensible to re-examine its structure, especially after its experience with Brexit and the pandemic. There are conflicting views within the EU and it will be interesting to see whether it ends in greater integration or no.

I am a eurosceptic with a background in economics and banking. I was not alone in questioning the motive or sense in creating a single currency without a more unified banking, fiscal and economic system. Its weaknesses shown in 2008. I do not wish the EU ill and nor am I blind to the errors of successive governments in the UK, exemplified by its performance before, during and after the Referendum.

Maybe you disagree but it would be better to discuss rather than trade insults. Social media offers a tremendous opportunity but sadly, it has created partizan groups who show little respect for the opinions of others.

That really is it from me. I don't think I deserve to be accused of paranoia but in the tolerant, open, kind world of extreme Remain, who knows?

Excellent post cunco ?

lemongrove Tue 21-Sep-21 11:50:15

The pampered generation...the 1950’s ! Don’t make me laugh.

Kali2 Tue 21-Sep-21 12:21:53

MaizieD

Urmstongran

I think the return of the Crown stamp is symbolic because it was banned by the EU and replaced by their European conformity mark. Symbols are not at all important in themselves, their power resides in what they represent - in this case independence - and the freedom to choose a different path.
?

I'm afraid that it just represents mindboggling stupidity to me.

After a long long break. I thought I'd have a peep at GN and see if it has improved smile lol Maizie- thank you for putting me straight back into the picture and make me laugh so loud.

If anyone has still not mastered metric, when it was introduced in 65, and later confirmed in 1973 - so a minimum of 48 years - then I am afraid you comment truly must stand.

Those new Pint glasses with the Imperial Crown are made in France, by Crystal d'Arques, btw, oh the irony. And forget about exporting any good made in Imperial measures to EU - be it in engineering or anything else- it won't work with supply chains, and the cost to have dual systems in factories will just be so prohibitive, at a time of staff shortages, gas and utilities massive price hikes, etc, etc.

Oh dear ...

Kali2 Tue 21-Sep-21 12:23:20

Visited 4 European countries this Summer, just returned from Italy- no shortages of anything on shelves, or gas and CO2- because they are a great club, and supply each other, for some strange reason.

MaizieD Tue 21-Sep-21 12:31:12

Nice to have you back, Kali2.

(And thanks for the lol grin )

Lincslass Tue 21-Sep-21 12:31:47

MaizieD

Urmstongran

I think the return of the Crown stamp is symbolic because it was banned by the EU and replaced by their European conformity mark. Symbols are not at all important in themselves, their power resides in what they represent - in this case independence - and the freedom to choose a different path.
?

That’s it unless it’s European ie EU ordained everything and everyone is stupid, is that what you’re saying.

Lincslass Tue 21-Sep-21 12:32:21

Or as in another poster, lazy.

MaizieD Tue 21-Sep-21 12:35:32

lemongrove

The pampered generation...the 1950’s ! Don’t make me laugh.

Free education right through to tertiary level, free health care (no prescription charge, no dentistry charges etc). Easy come easy go jobs at reasonable wages. No soaring house prices (but the ones we bought soared in value from the 70s onwards).

I think that's pampered compared with later generations.

Alegrias1 Tue 21-Sep-21 12:35:57

their European conformity mark.

their our European conformity mark.

We used to be part of the gang, remember?

MaizieD Tue 21-Sep-21 12:37:57

Lincslass

MaizieD

Urmstongran

?

That’s it unless it’s European ie EU ordained everything and everyone is stupid, is that what you’re saying.

No, it's not what I was staying. I was just referring to the jingoistic proposed return to imperial measurements.

but if the other cap fits, do wear it

MaizieD Tue 21-Sep-21 12:38:23

saying, not 'staying'

MayBeMaw Tue 21-Sep-21 12:40:03

Welcome back Kali2 - have you been away? Or extra busy?

I liked this grin

Kali2 Tue 21-Sep-21 13:11:42

Thank you- away a lot, travelling around Europe after our long UK trip, and extra busy (decorating, etc) - but mainly just decided the aggro is just not worth it. I think I was right- much better sleep and sanity.