Gransnet forums

News & politics

Does anyone here believe, as I do, that Johnson is finished (and I am sure HE does know himself)

(245 Posts)
Kali2 Sat 25-Sep-21 18:48:07

All the signs are there, no?

MayBeMaw Tue 28-Sep-21 09:32:41

Tue 28-Sep-21 09:26:48
Listen very carefully, I will say this only once
gringrin

M0nica Tue 28-Sep-21 09:49:59

Alegrias We are at one on Northern Ireland. My post said exactly what yours said.

We are in agreement on Gordon Brown as well, but compared with PMs/LotO that have followed, Brown was a PM beyond price, that was the point.

Alegrias1 Tue 28-Sep-21 09:52:35

Fair enough M0nica, but Tony Blair didn't negotiate the Northern Ireland Protocol, While you said he did.

There's enough misinformation around the Brexit agreement without making it worse wink

westendgirl Tue 28-Sep-21 10:28:20

Where is Johnson at the moment ? Back in his fridge ?

FannyCornforth Tue 28-Sep-21 10:30:05

westendgirl

Where is Johnson at the moment ? Back in his fridge ?

You’re right.
Where are any on of them?
What’s going on?

growstuff Tue 28-Sep-21 10:31:57

M0nica

Alegrias We are at one on Northern Ireland. My post said exactly what yours said.

We are in agreement on Gordon Brown as well, but compared with PMs/LotO that have followed, Brown was a PM beyond price, that was the point.

No, it didn't.

Tony Blair had nothing to do with negotiating the Northern Ireland Protocol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dinahmo Tue 28-Sep-21 10:35:26

WWM2 Thank you for the link to Michael Lambert. I've only got to page 3 on this thread but I'm interested to find out whether any of the Johnson and/or Brexiteer suporters on here listened to him.

Dinahmo Tue 28-Sep-21 10:39:04

Kandinsky

Workers from Eastern Europe didn’t have to come here at all, ever. They choose to come, & when they did they were willing to work cheaply ( company bosses dream ) UK workers were no longer willing to work long hours for crap money like migrants were, & I don’t bloody blame them.
If we’d never had freedom of movement we’d never be where we are now.
Temporary visas are a great idea until we train up our own workers & pay them a decent wage.
This country was flooded with cheap labour from abroad undercutting our own people for years.
- thankfully that’s over.

So it's the foreign workers to blame for undercutting wages. Why not blame the British employers for not paying enough?
It's much easier to blame Johnny Foreigner.

Dinahmo Tue 28-Sep-21 10:43:59

Urmstongran

I just hope we don’t end up with Brexit-lite. That wasn’t what I voted for.

Did you listen to WWM's link to Michael Lambert. If you did, were you not shocked by the list of foreign owners of our utilities and rail networks. I knew about some of them but was unaware of the extent. Now I know why rail travel in Europe is cheap in comparison with that in the UK. It's subsidised by the UK.

MaizieD Tue 28-Sep-21 10:46:36

M0nica

Gordon Brown and his chancellor, Alistair Darling rescued the UK from the disaster that was the Global Financial Crisis. A sadly underrated achievement.

Kali2 Tue 28-Sep-21 10:47:40

Indeed Dinahmo - and it has been said here on GN so many times in the past- if you are going to totally alienate your nearest neighbours, and those futher afar- and behave in a way that makes them truly distrust you and your word- make absolutely sure you don't sell all your essential utilities and services beforehand.

Because then they literally have you over that proverbial barrel (not of laugh!)

Dinahmo Tue 28-Sep-21 10:54:59

Namsnanny

M0nica

No, he will be like Cameron, seen as another shyster, who has to stoop very low to make any money because no decent company will want to be associated with him.

He's a PM M0nica that position has currency. Do you really think people in business will turn their back on that?
I dont.
Your forgetting the financial rise of T Blair.

Blair had a wife who worked, no doubt earning loads of money. Johnson doesn't.
Blair was clever with investments - property for one.
Blair is a good speaker.
Blair didn't need friends to pay for his lifestyle.
Blair still makes a lot of sense and so is no doubt welcome as a speaker (highly paid)

Dinahmo Tue 28-Sep-21 10:55:59

GrannyGravy13

If he Mr.Johnson gets fuel in the filling stations, food on shelves and Turkeys on the menus for Christmas Day I would be surprised if he is going to be usurped anytime soon.

That's a very big IF. You cannot be serious.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 28-Sep-21 10:57:45

Paying people a good living wage is not impossible, (we have been doing so for 40 years)

Unfortunately people are so used to buying everything cheap, throwaway fashion, cheap food with no thought as to how it’s produced and the impact on the planet. We have to expect to pay more and in all probability consume less.

Kali2 Tue 28-Sep-21 10:57:57

Mentionned the other day forecast of shortage of water purifying chemicals. I wonder how many are aware that more than 70% of our water suppliers are foreign.

That most of our energy providers are also from abroad- with more than 60% of our energy supplied from overseas?

Being an Island, as Raab discovered some time ago- also puts the UK in an isolated position, which is very easy to blocade as there are so few ports able to deal with heavy ships and tankers.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 28-Sep-21 11:02:02

Dinahmo absolutely serious, that’s what the man/woman in the street is in all probability focusing on.

Not everyone is constantly considering the day to day political situation, they are considering themselves and their daily lives.

MaizieD Tue 28-Sep-21 11:03:47

Dinahmo

GrannyGravy13

If he Mr.Johnson gets fuel in the filling stations, food on shelves and Turkeys on the menus for Christmas Day I would be surprised if he is going to be usurped anytime soon.

That's a very big IF. You cannot be serious.

GG13 is confirming what I said earlier in this thread. It was more or less that, if Johnson 'gets Christmas done' he'll be fine...

(though, at the moment, the indications are that he won't get it done...)

Alegrias1 Tue 28-Sep-21 11:05:36

GrannyGravy13

Dinahmo absolutely serious, that’s what the man/woman in the street is in all probability focusing on.

Not everyone is constantly considering the day to day political situation, they are considering themselves and their daily lives.

So wait, wait....

Joe Public is very well informed and has enough political understanding to vote away 40-odd years of political stability and advantageous trading environments.

But Joe Public will be won over by the buffoon getting him/her a turkey in time for Xmas and not worry about the political situation that made that a problem in the first place.

Dinahmo Tue 28-Sep-21 11:09:32

GrannyGravy13

I actually meant do you really believe that everything will be back to normal by Christmas? I doubt it somehow.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 28-Sep-21 11:10:01

Alegrias1 unfortunately yes.

I know it’s unpalatable to some (and me) but I think Mr.Johnson still has a few years left.

MaizieD Tue 28-Sep-21 11:11:40

Alegrias1

GrannyGravy13

So wait, wait....

Joe Public is very well informed and has enough political understanding to vote away 40-odd years of political stability and advantageous trading environments.

But Joe Public will be won over by the buffoon getting him/her a turkey in time for Xmas and not worry about the political situation that made that a problem in the first place.

Maybe I should post this on all today's N &P threads grin

It does relate to your comments, I think, Alegrias.

From the New European:

It was, the occupiers of the moral high-ground said, sheer condescension to suggest anybody who voted for Brexit did so without fully understanding the implications for both themselves and their nation.

Nobody, it seems, was thick at the ballot box.

But when people sit in a two hour queue outside the nearest Shell garage, then suddenly their intellectual abilities come under a more forensic scrutiny.

Britain is suddenly full of eejits.

www.theneweuropean.co.uk/panic-buying-petrol-stupid/

GrannyGravy13 Tue 28-Sep-21 11:12:33

Dinahmo I do not think everything will be back to normal by Christmas, but many many people will accept a new normal after nearly two years of a pandemic and happily blame the EU for any shortages.

Dinahmo Tue 28-Sep-21 11:14:39

I don't think there'll be many turkeys around. In case you missed the link on a different thread take a look at this

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oz33NNrs7g

MaizieD Tue 28-Sep-21 11:23:07

Dinahmo

I don't think there'll be many turkeys around. In case you missed the link on a different thread take a look at this

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oz33NNrs7g

I thought we were going to import lots of turkeys from Brazil...hmm

Racingsparrow Tue 28-Sep-21 14:27:39

I correct myself. Tony Blair negotiated the Northern agreement including the controversial letters to the IRA terrorists giving them freedom from prosecution. The Northern Ireland protocol keeps this in place and does not allow for a border between the Irish Republic and Northern Ireland, hence the stupid border down the Irish sea. The EU are using this to punish us for leaving the Common Market by controlling what can be sent to Northern Ireland from the rest if the UK. No other country in the world would agree to something as stupid as this.