Gransnet forums

News & politics

Meanwhile on Planet Johnson.....

(93 Posts)
GillT57 Tue 28-Sep-21 14:27:13

From The Times: Britain will launch rockets next year, vows Boris Johnson

Spaceports from Cornwall to Shetland will launch rockets into orbit next year as Boris Johnson promises to create 'galactic Britain'. The Prime Minister insisted that Britain cannot remain 'earthbound' and must seize leadership in the multi billion pound space industry. Chris Smith Whitehall Editor

Is this before or after we complete HS2/Cross rail, build the vanity yacht? It is getting to be increasingly like living through a rather cheesy and unrealistic political drama.

Alegrias1 Wed 29-Sep-21 05:34:15

I don't get annoyed about the PM being slagged off, it's no more than he deserves. But I do get annoyed with the attitude that we need to spend money "fixing our problems before we start messing around in space".

This is about investment in industry. We've cut off our connections to Europe when it comes to science and technology, and the space strategy, which is an entirely acceptable economic and scientific program, might help us get back where we should be. Probably not, but at least it's something.

Anybody complaining about how we should be spending money on what you deem to be morally superior, where do you think the money comes from? Answer: a working economy. If you think we're going to get that without investment, you're very wrong.

JaneJudge Wed 29-Sep-21 07:39:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

JaneJudge Wed 29-Sep-21 07:42:13

btw I did manage to speak to him yesterday, eventually....he said the photographs were of that Elon Musk thing taken on some beach and they looked like bubbles because of atmospheric changes/speed/light etc. He explained it in great detail but I just heard Elon Musk - beach- blah blah blah. I imagine I am a dreadful disappointment

Froglady Wed 29-Sep-21 07:43:33

Grannynannywanny

Could we crowd fund to pay for Boris to be strapped to the outside of it when it takes off?

I'd help with the cost if that happened!

NotSpaghetti Wed 29-Sep-21 07:51:54

Johnson is only happy when he has a slogan. I expect he'd be even happier if it included a superlative.

Lucca Wed 29-Sep-21 07:52:55

JaneJudge

I think I can top trump you all.... my husband worked for Nasa grin

Oh nice one JaneJudge !!

Lucca Wed 29-Sep-21 07:53:45

NotSpaghetti

Johnson is only happy when he has a slogan. I expect he'd be even happier if it included a superlative.

Per ardua ad astra?

Barmeyoldbat Wed 29-Sep-21 08:07:35

Johnson wants to be like Churchill, a hero to the nation but what he should remember is that his hero lost the first election after the war because his total disregard for the people. Let’s hope history repeats itself.

NotSpaghetti Wed 29-Sep-21 08:10:46

Ha ha Luca.
Johnson of course doesn't want adversity for himself, obviously! grin

Alegrias1 Wed 29-Sep-21 08:15:08

JaneJudge

At JPL? Does he know my DH? ?

I know someone who has a ridge on Mars named after them.

Petera Wed 29-Sep-21 08:19:30

Alegrias1

JaneJudge

At JPL? Does he know my DH? ?

I know someone who has a ridge on Mars named after them.

There's a Mars Bar with my name on it.

I'll get my coat.

Galaxy Wed 29-Sep-21 08:27:04

So let's get this straight Janejudge, you have pet circus mice and an astronaut in your house.

Alegrias1 Wed 29-Sep-21 08:29:06

That's rich from someone called Galaxy grin grin

Lucca Wed 29-Sep-21 08:30:13

Galaxy

So let's get this straight Janejudge, you have pet circus mice and an astronaut in your house.

Note poster’s username…….

Lucca Wed 29-Sep-21 08:30:50

Great minds Alegrias

ayse Wed 29-Sep-21 09:02:28

Alegrias1

I don't get annoyed about the PM being slagged off, it's no more than he deserves. But I do get annoyed with the attitude that we need to spend money "fixing our problems before we start messing around in space".

This is about investment in industry. We've cut off our connections to Europe when it comes to science and technology, and the space strategy, which is an entirely acceptable economic and scientific program, might help us get back where we should be. Probably not, but at least it's something.

Anybody complaining about how we should be spending money on what you deem to be morally superior, where do you think the money comes from? Answer: a working economy. If you think we're going to get that without investment, you're very wrong.

I’m all for investing in our economy but we also need to invest in people such as nurses, teachers, plumbers, electricians, lorry drivers.

Let’s invest in sustainable energy technology such as wave power and hydrogen fuels and even produce the goods at home for export. Let’s invest in removing all the rubbish that we have floating round in space or in the oceans or landfill.
I’m all for investment in science and technology but space is not at the top.

Investment in sustainability is where our resources need to be now, IMHO

TopsyIrene06 Wed 29-Sep-21 09:08:29

Grannynannywanny. Hilarious and yes please.

Alegrias1 Wed 29-Sep-21 09:10:18

Let’s invest in removing all the rubbish that we have floating round in space.

How do you do that without going into space?

I'll wait.

Sorry, but you don't know a thing about it and what you're saying doesn't make sense. This is not a fancy space rocket to Mars. Its using near earth orbits to improve things like earth remote sensing. (Which is what it said in Johnson's spiel, if anyone had bothered to read it properly)

My criticisms of the strategy is that it is too little too late and that Brexit has made proper international collaboration impossible. But at least its something.

Galaxy Wed 29-Sep-21 09:26:34

Point taken you bunch of gitsgrin

JaneJudge Wed 29-Sep-21 09:28:37

Galaxy

and a feminist dog
I asked for my post to be removed but you've all quoted it now! so I have buggered that up grin

Lovetopaint037 Wed 29-Sep-21 09:29:31

Grannynannywanny

Could we crowd fund to pay for Boris to be strapped to the outside of it when it takes off?

I want to donate NOW.

MaizieD Wed 29-Sep-21 10:43:20

I thought we'd launched rockets well before now?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_space_programme

Lucca Wed 29-Sep-21 10:45:06

Galaxy

Point taken you bunch of gitsgrin

??

Lucca Wed 29-Sep-21 10:46:08

JaneJudge

Galaxy

and a feminist dog
I asked for my post to be removed but you've all quoted it now! so I have buggered that up grin

Why withdrawn ?? Official secrets ?

JaneJudge Wed 29-Sep-21 10:51:40

He might have to kill me but I'm sure it is fine really confused