Gransnet forums

News & politics

Meanwhile on Planet Johnson.....

(92 Posts)
GillT57 Tue 28-Sep-21 14:27:13

From The Times: Britain will launch rockets next year, vows Boris Johnson

Spaceports from Cornwall to Shetland will launch rockets into orbit next year as Boris Johnson promises to create 'galactic Britain'. The Prime Minister insisted that Britain cannot remain 'earthbound' and must seize leadership in the multi billion pound space industry. Chris Smith Whitehall Editor

Is this before or after we complete HS2/Cross rail, build the vanity yacht? It is getting to be increasingly like living through a rather cheesy and unrealistic political drama.

MaizieD Tue 28-Sep-21 14:56:39

Oh, GillT57!

Are we meant to take this seriously? ???

Dinahmo Tue 28-Sep-21 15:09:17

Early April Fools' joke?

Alegrias1 Tue 28-Sep-21 15:09:21

I'm actually all for our space industry. The revenue and technological advances we should see are immense.

However I almost changed my mind when I read "Galactic Britain". Why do they let him anywhere near it? ??

growstuff Tue 28-Sep-21 15:12:45

I think we are! We're supposed to be star struck and get tattoos with "Boris is the best" (or something).

No, of course it can't be serious (Can it?) It's a draft for next year's April Fool. The rocket will probably have dead cats on it.

growstuff Tue 28-Sep-21 15:13:17

Snap! I didn't see your post Dinahmo.

GillT57 Tue 28-Sep-21 15:13:48

I am a supporter of the Space industry too, but this sounds like another of his fantasies, remember the tunnel between NI and UK? The one crossing an area packed with WW2 explosives? The floating airport, Marston Sands?

MaizieD Tue 28-Sep-21 15:15:47

Nothing wrong with our space industry. Just with the vile egomaniac 'running' the country.

Yes, I remember them all, GillT57 grin

MaizieD Tue 28-Sep-21 15:17:02

The 3rd London airport was the Maplin Sands. Off the Essex coast.

GillT57 Tue 28-Sep-21 15:17:54

That's the one, couldn't quite remember the name.

lemongrove Tue 28-Sep-21 15:26:08

Alegrias1

I'm actually all for our space industry. The revenue and technological advances we should see are immense.

However I almost changed my mind when I read "Galactic Britain". Why do they let him anywhere near it? ??

I agree with you on both points ?

JaneJudge Tue 28-Sep-21 15:34:01

One of my husbands friends lives in Florida and he posted loads of photos on Linkedin of people being launched into space. They looked liked massive bubbles and tbh I really don't know if it was true or if it worked as they are all so nerdy and most of it is over my head so I googled and looked on the Nasa page and I am not tickled that Boris Johnson appeared on the home page in a blue boiler suit

JaneJudge Tue 28-Sep-21 15:34:42

The launch thing was recently btw, in the last few weeks...please tell me it wasn't a dream

MayBee70 Tue 28-Sep-21 15:47:59

He’ll be having a photo shoot soon at the wonderful ( but largely ignored till now) space centre at Leicester, no doubt wearing a space helmet….

Whitewavemark2 Tue 28-Sep-21 16:45:45

MayBee70

He’ll be having a photo shoot soon at the wonderful ( but largely ignored till now) space centre at Leicester, no doubt wearing a space helmet….

?? as long as he is the centre of attention.

I suppose it is a dead cat to take our attention away from something. God knows what though as there is so much if it.

Strange how on the one hand Sunak is preparing for austerity and on the other we are spending untold billions.

Alegrias1 Tue 28-Sep-21 16:55:40

Far be it from me to defend the government, but we're not spending untold billions.

The point is to attract inward investment of hundreds of billions for an outlay of £6bn.

Now, nobody mention that we had lots of fingers in lots of European space pies, don't detract from the positivity. grin

Grannynannywanny Tue 28-Sep-21 16:55:47

Could we crowd fund to pay for Boris to be strapped to the outside of it when it takes off?

Petera Tue 28-Sep-21 17:01:18

Alegrias1

Exactly. Galactic Britain just shows the limits of his ambition. It should be Universal Britain.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 28-Sep-21 17:05:45

Alegrias1

Far be it from me to defend the government, but we're not spending untold billions.

The point is to attract inward investment of hundreds of billions for an outlay of £6bn.

Now, nobody mention that we had lots of fingers in lots of European space pies, don't detract from the positivity. grin

Honestly do you believe what he says?

I suspect that is why people are behaving as they are because there is zero trust or belief in Johnson or his government.

Alegrias1 Tue 28-Sep-21 17:15:35

I don't trust a word Johnson says.

But I do understand the need for a space strategy.

Which is why they shouldn't have let him anywhere near it. Its got nothing to do with him but I expect he likes being associated with space rockets. confused The space rockets are just the eye-catching bit.

Eloethan Tue 28-Sep-21 17:19:14

Well, Johnson's renowned for his grandiose ideas and vanity projects - the money he wasted as Mayor of London was phenomenal.

What a stupid idea. We have so many problems to solve in this country and every penny and ounce of effort should be spent on those, in my opinion. I feel the same about all the space projects across the world, which I think are primarily for military purposes. So much disease and poverty in many parts of the world and money being wasted on things like this.

JaneJudge Tue 28-Sep-21 17:29:25

Does anyone know what I am going on about? It's annoying me now

Is it that Elon Musk thing?

Alegrias1 Tue 28-Sep-21 17:36:52

Its anything but a waste of money. Just because Johnson and his daft pronouncements make it sound like the Jetsons, its nothing to do with that. Its to do with electronics expertise, monitoring climate change, broadband provision and all those not-very-exciting sounding things.

Not manned space flight.

JaneJudge I have no idea what you're talking about. grin Elon Musk's rocket wasn't a bubble, it was a very different shape indeed grin

MayBee70 Tue 28-Sep-21 17:50:16

Well, he’s given up on his bridge so needs another vanity project to occupy his little mind…..

Dinahmo Tue 28-Sep-21 17:50:26

In the dim and distant past there was a Space Research Group (part of the Physics Department) at UCL and my father worked in it. The head of the group was Professor Sir Harry Massey and my father made the instruments that were designed by the team to go in the first British satellite that was launched in 1973.

I have just finished reading the Leviathan Wakes, set in a future where most people have left and colonised Mars and lumps of rock in space. One of the main characters had been in charge of an enormous space craft which was used to transfer huge quantities of ice from a frozen plant to an inhabited planet which didn't have water. My conclusion was that we should be looking after our own planet so that leaving it to occupy other planets wouldn't be needed.