Gransnet forums

News & politics

Wayne Couzens

(79 Posts)
62Granny Thu 30-Sep-21 14:29:00

He pleaded guilty and I think deservedly got a whole life sentence, but I do not think this is his only major crime he has somehow due to his position managed to cover them up, no one goes from " flashing" to murder and rape in one fell swoop I am sure as time goes on other crimes will come to light. My thoughts are with her parents and family a friends.

GillT57 Fri 01-Oct-21 11:32:29

Alegrias1

Urmstongran

Am I alone in feeling uncomfortable that Couzens is wished ill in prison? Reading such comments makes me feel uneasy.

His punishment has been metered out. It is severe. He will never be allowed out of prison. He will die in there. He has no hope of parole. Surely that is enough? None of us can imagine the loss of our freedoms in this harshest of ways.

Excellent post Urmstongran.

I agree Urmstongran

GillT57 Fri 01-Oct-21 11:26:55

Grandma70s

Obviously we feel for her parents, but I always wonder what the parents of the abuser feel. They may be perfectly decent people. Can you imagine being the parent of a murderer? Could anything be worse?

Yes, I always wonder about that too. Obviously all sympathy is with the victim's family, and rightly so, but just imagine what life must be like now for Couzens' wife, children, parents, siblings. The effects of these dreadful crimes ripple through many people and very few people will have sympathy for the family of the perpetrator, many choosing instead to make life even worse for them as if it isn't beyond bad now.

25Avalon Fri 01-Oct-21 11:19:54

They owe it to Sarah and her family to ensure lessons are learnt. The buck stops with Cressida Dick. She should do the decent thing and resign.

MayBeMaw Fri 01-Oct-21 11:06:21

So many posts I wholeheartedly agree with - but then, could anybody honestly say otherwise.
I just hope that the old adage “Lessons will be learned” will add up to more than a row of beans this time ?

Riverwalk Fri 01-Oct-21 11:03:14

I really hope that whatever any enquiry discovers that we get to know why he wasn't arrested and charged after twice exposing himself in McDonalds. His number plate was on CCTV.

This was just a couple of days before the murder.

Was he even questioned?

Robin38 Fri 01-Oct-21 10:59:24

Whitewavemark2

Are all those on his WhatsApp group being disciplined or sacked?

The real problem is that the police are institutionally misogynistic and racist.

Where is Patel she should be on all the news outlets

Completely agree and yes, Dick should be sacked and while we’re at it so should Patel. Completely useless the pair of them.

Blossoming Fri 01-Oct-21 10:58:26

Visgir1

Wonder how long he will last in a Prison? Ex Policeman, Rapist and Murderer??

I hope he lasts a very long and very miserable time, why cut short his punishment?

Whitewavemark2 Fri 01-Oct-21 10:51:19

Are all those on his WhatsApp group being disciplined or sacked?

The real problem is that the police are institutionally misogynistic and racist.

Where is Patel she should be on all the news outlets

Whitewavemark2 Fri 01-Oct-21 10:48:34

Dick should resign

25Avalon Fri 01-Oct-21 10:48:31

Several past events are now appearing online news which clearly flagged up the kind of man he is. No action was taken by the police. Had it been Sarah would be alive today and possibly others as investigations continue. And maybe, a big maybe Couzens would have got some treatment.

Anniebach Fri 01-Oct-21 10:47:34

Then the vetting team should be sacked and this is what Cressida Dick should do.

JaneJudge Fri 01-Oct-21 10:46:29

Thanks for your post Bea65

Bea65 Fri 01-Oct-21 10:44:15

JaneJudge There are strict vetting processes in the Police Service with several layers of a person's history both personal and employment obtained. How the Met's Vetting Team processed his application is beyond me! Internally am sure this is being investigated but as they say the buck stops with Cressida Dick.
?for Sarah's family and friends.

Chestnut Fri 01-Oct-21 10:32:30

There was a programme about children of the Nazis and how it affected them, living with such a dreadful legacy. It not only affects the children but the grandchildren. They live with a terrible guilt and it causes mental problems which are hard to resolve. Some consequently decided not to have children themselves. Knowing your father or grandfather was a murdering monster is going to affect those children and grandchildren for the rest of their lives.

Galaxy Fri 01-Oct-21 10:28:57

And to guide the culture of the organisation. Something which is often forgotten but in my view is the most important part of a leadership role.

growstuff Fri 01-Oct-21 10:25:07

Anniebach

If a school teacher assaults a pupil the headmaster/headmistress should resign ?

Absolutely, if the teacher hadn't been properly vetted. It's the head's responsibility to make sure systems are in place and enforced and one of the things Ofsted checks.

MaizieD Fri 01-Oct-21 10:20:21

Galaxy

If procedures and reasonable safeguarding hadnt been followed, yes.

Precisely

Galaxy Fri 01-Oct-21 10:14:28

If procedures and reasonable safeguarding hadnt been followed, yes.

Anniebach Fri 01-Oct-21 10:08:56

If a school teacher assaults a pupil the headmaster/headmistress should resign ?

Lucca Fri 01-Oct-21 10:01:31

Anniebach

His colleagues were male and female.

Should Cressida Dick be expected to vet 32,920 police officers ?

Nobody remotely suggested that, however she is at the top and as such bears responsibility for how the organisation is run.

MaizieD Fri 01-Oct-21 09:48:38

Anniebach

Yes JaneJudge but should Cressida Dick be expected to carry out the vetting herself ?

Did anyone suggest that she should?

This is yet another failure of the Met police that she is being excused for. I suppose it's just in keeping with the 'never resign, never admit responsibility' ethos of our government and its officials. She's just had her contract extended, which was disgraceful in itself.

M0nica Fri 01-Oct-21 09:46:56

Lincslass So not only are we to have deserving and undeserving poor, we are now to have deserving and undeserving victims as well.

No one would deny that Sarah Everard's family and friends are the primary victims of this terrible crime, but that does not mean that we can dismiss the sufferings of the victims of the collateral damage that arise from this crime, who are just as innocent as the main victim.

Anniebach Fri 01-Oct-21 09:45:41

You don’t have to join this discussion Lincslass

Lincslass Fri 01-Oct-21 09:42:38

Anniebach

MOnica I too have been thinking about his children, if he has
a son he can change his name but does he remain silent about
his father when/if he marries.

So the sins of the father. Are you saying his possible son will be so tainted. This discussion should be finished. He has been sentenced and ifs whats but and maybes are not going to help Sarah’s family.

Anniebach Fri 01-Oct-21 09:42:18

Yes JaneJudge but should Cressida Dick be expected to carry out the vetting herself ?