Gransnet forums

News & politics

Johnson's attempts to limit our democratic freedoms

(150 Posts)
Dinahmo Sat 02-Oct-21 00:08:35

Who remembers the supreme court voting 11-0 against Johnson's unlawful suspension of parliament back in 2019? I do. It actually brought tears to my eyes listening to Lady Hale's speech (she of the spider brooch). Johnson wants to reform judicial review.

Who remembers the £1 billion fund set up in order to help struggling towns? 39 of the 45 towns selected are in Tory constituencies, some of them being adjacent to poorer towns. Could the reason be to make the sitting MP popular so that he or she will keep their seat at the next election?

Our Parliament grew from the assemblies created in the Middle Ages that then became councils that were called by kings for the purpose of redressing grievances and for exercising judicial functions. In time, Parliament began to deal with important matters of state, notably the raising of revenues needed to support the policies and decisions of the monarch. As its judicial functions were increasingly delegated to courts, it gradually evolved into a legislative body. By the end of the 15th century, the English system displayed some of the basic features of modern parliamentary government.

Our ancestors fought a war and executed a king because of the conflict between king and parliament. Our democracy has developed over the centuries since then. One of the reasons for Brexit was taking back control of our country (whatever that meant). It now seems as though Johnson is trying to limit the democratic controls as currently exercised and he could well succeed given the venality of some of the current govt.

The following is a link to the article in the Guardian by Jonathan Freedland which prompted me to write the above. I was aware of the proposed actions as I'm sure many of you are too. To those of you who don't read the Guardian, please have a quick look at the article.

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/oct/01/boris-johnson-rigging-the-system-power-courts-protest-elections

MaizieD Sat 02-Oct-21 13:30:08

Whitewavemark2

I thought we left the EU to gain greater democratic freedom?

Different democracy, Wwmk2.

I don't think that Leavers thought much beyond the fact the they'd 'won'. That trumped everything. How the vote they'd 'won' was to be implemented was not their concern. Parliamentary democracy didn't enter into it.

Smileless2012 Sat 02-Oct-21 13:50:59

My personal opinion of what I think BJ's objectives may or may not be are not relevant to my last post MazieD. We should be mature enough to understand that not everyone agrees with our point of view. There's no need to suggest anyone who doesn't is blinkered, unable to understand or is simply choosing to ignore.

Dinahmo Sat 02-Oct-21 14:01:16

Smileless2012

My personal opinion of what I think BJ's objectives may or may not be are not relevant to my last post MazieD. We should be mature enough to understand that not everyone agrees with our point of view. There's no need to suggest anyone who doesn't is blinkered, unable to understand or is simply choosing to ignore.

Of course everybody won't agree with my point of view and you might not agree with the views of those on here who are concerned about Johnson's objectives. However, you haven't provided a factual riposte to either the article or other statements made.

Smileless2012 Sat 02-Oct-21 14:05:14

No I haven't Dinahmo and have no intention of doing so. If however I were to disagree with any of the views expressed here, I would do so without disparaging the poster(s) whose opinion(s) I disagreed with.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 02-Oct-21 14:13:27

1. Mr.Johnson is lazy, a liar, not clever, not organised.

2. Mr.Johnson is planning to turn U.K. into a dictatorship, with himself at the helm.

They cannot both be true.

There does appear to be a sense of mounting hysteria on the N & P threads.

growstuff Sat 02-Oct-21 14:15:17

Smileless2012

But you're evading the issue. How can you justify the actions which have been taken to limit freedoms?

It's not a question of agreeing with anybody's point of view. It's about being empowered to express a point of view and influencing how we are governed. There is no doubt at all that steps have been taken to limit that. It really is before our eyes.

rosie1959 Sat 02-Oct-21 14:16:04

GrannyGravy13 I pondered that one too

growstuff Sat 02-Oct-21 14:16:09

Smileless2012

No I haven't Dinahmo and have no intention of doing so. If however I were to disagree with any of the views expressed here, I would do so without disparaging the poster(s) whose opinion(s) I disagreed with.

So why have you contributed to the thread to say you won't be contributing? hmm

Alegrias1 Sat 02-Oct-21 14:17:16

GrannyGravy13

2. Mr.Johnson is planning to turn U.K. into a dictatorship, with himself at the helm.

I'm not sure many of the dictators of history were known for their organisational skills.

Julius Caesar, maybe. Or Genghis Khan.

Not much of a project manager, that Hitler.

growstuff Sat 02-Oct-21 14:18:52

GrannyGravy13

Why can't both be true?

Many historians have claimed the same of that little man with the funny moustache (and it's almost certainly true).

growstuff Sat 02-Oct-21 14:19:59

No, you're right, he wasn't Alegrias, which is why he got others to do his dirty work.

growstuff Sat 02-Oct-21 14:20:39

Stalin was a bit different from most other dictators.

MaizieD Sat 02-Oct-21 14:21:16

Smileless2012

It's a shame that you won't, Smileless because you might well come up with something that we've overlooked that might modify our opinions.

Or at least give us an insight into how other people's opinions are formed. Without insight we are just left with possibly mistaken generalisations, such as people being blind to what is happening.

Alegrias1 Sat 02-Oct-21 14:22:01

growstuff

No, you're right, he wasn't Alegrias, which is why he got others to do his dirty work.

great minds think alike growstuff.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 02-Oct-21 14:22:15

Alegrias1

GrannyGravy13

I'm not sure many of the dictators of history were known for their organisational skills.

Julius Caesar, maybe. Or Genghis Khan.

Not much of a project manager, that Hitler.

I am having trouble understanding why according to some Mr.Johnson couldn't organise a p*ss up in a brewery but is now planning what amounts to a political takeover and cancelling elections

MaizieD Sat 02-Oct-21 14:27:34

Mr.Johnson is lazy, a liar, not clever, not organised.

But he is influenced by others in his government, by what is 'popular in focus groups, the primacy of part and power, and a host of other things. He isn't running the government single handed, no PM ever does.

The influence of others can shape the direction his government takes because he can only stay in power by keeping his party, and MPs, happy with what he is doing.

Alegrias1 Sat 02-Oct-21 14:27:35

I think growstuff hit the nail on the head. He has staff.

He wants to be World King (his words, as a child, I believe) but he's a lazy sod who doesn't want to work for it.

So people can exploit him as much as he exploits them (symbiosis, I suppose). He gets to be top dog by being one of the lads, and the wolf pack following him do all the dirty work to keep him there. So if someone tells him the best thing for him is that they get rid of public bodies that might interfere with him being World King, and that they know how to do it, he encourages them to get on with it.

25Avalon Sat 02-Oct-21 14:27:54

How long before Johnson arrests and executes his opponents to secure a dictatorship just as Hitler did?

MaizieD Sat 02-Oct-21 14:29:42

Sorry '..the primacy of party and power...'

(And, the objective of the party in government is to stay in power and shape the country and institutions in the way they'd like the country to be run.)

MaizieD Sat 02-Oct-21 14:31:45

25Avalon

How long before Johnson arrests and executes his opponents to secure a dictatorship just as Hitler did?

Oh, do keep the debate within the bounds of possibility. Imprisonment is, execution, ATM, isn't.

growstuff Sat 02-Oct-21 14:35:12

Alegrias1

I think growstuff hit the nail on the head. He has staff.

He wants to be World King (his words, as a child, I believe) but he's a lazy sod who doesn't want to work for it.

So people can exploit him as much as he exploits them (symbiosis, I suppose). He gets to be top dog by being one of the lads, and the wolf pack following him do all the dirty work to keep him there. So if someone tells him the best thing for him is that they get rid of public bodies that might interfere with him being World King, and that they know how to do it, he encourages them to get on with it.

He doesn't need to do the work himself. He has the power to promote or sack people. When a person is in that position, others will do what needs doing to impress.

Sir Ian Kershaw, one of the most respected scholars of Hitler and Nazism, wrote "There is about Hitler personally, and the Nazis in general, a sort of cultism that attracts fascination".

Kershaw also wrote "The road to Auschwitz was built by hate, but paved with indifference", which I always find chilling.

25Avalon Sat 02-Oct-21 14:36:01

Do you imagine Putin has not despatched people who disagree with him, that Stalin didn’t, that Franco didn’t? These are whom you have compared Johnson with so thought I would continue the analogy.

growstuff Sat 02-Oct-21 14:39:44

25Avalon

Do you imagine Putin has not despatched people who disagree with him, that Stalin didn’t, that Franco didn’t? These are whom you have compared Johnson with so thought I would continue the analogy.

Not at all, but you're missing the point entirely.

Alegrias1 Sat 02-Oct-21 14:43:09

Just read the thread again.

Nobody compared Johnson to Putin, Stalin or Franco. Except those who think that would be a clever way of undermining sensible arguments.

And the poster who thought the we'd see Stalin-like dictatorships when the wokey wokes get elected.

confused

Smileless2012 Sat 02-Oct-21 14:43:49

I am not evading the issue growstuff and where exactly have I justified any of BJ's actions on this thread? You're simply making assumptions and what are you basing them on?

Why shouldn't I contribute to this thread to express my opinion, not on the thread per se but on a particular post?

As it happens MaizieD I am not in total disagreement with some of the views already expressed but don't agree with the way some are expressed for example "How long before Johnson arrests and executes his opponents to secure a dictatorship just as Hitler did".

Really 25Avalon!!