Gransnet forums

News & politics

Conservative party conference outcomes

(338 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

Scones Sun 03-Oct-21 09:39:12

The PM has said "big, bold decisions" are needed" and it would be interesting to hear what Conservative voters are hoping for.

Casdon Mon 11-Oct-21 11:12:06

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Urmstongran Mon 11-Oct-21 11:00:01

Urmstongran Mon 11-Oct-21 10:55:19

I used Google translate. I mentioned that I had.

MaizieD Mon 11-Oct-21 10:54:03

Alegrias1 Mon 11-Oct-21 10:47:44

Message deleted by Gransnet. Quotes deleted post

GrannyGravy13 Mon 11-Oct-21 10:47:02

Message deleted by Gransnet. Quotes deleted post

Urmstongran Mon 11-Oct-21 10:45:05

My pearls of wisdom are just my opinions MaizieD. I don’t claim to be an intellectual. Other opinions are available.

Urmstongran Mon 11-Oct-21 10:43:31

MaizieD Mon 11-Oct-21 10:37:54

Whitewavemark2 Mon 11-Oct-21 10:20:56

Johnson is being severely criticised by industry for skipping off on his 14th holiday rather than deal with the existential energy crises.

Some industries will have to close within the next week or so if Johnson does not step in and instruct the treasury to provide aid.

Italy is providing €18bn to its hard hit industries.

PippaZ Mon 11-Oct-21 10:13:17

Kali2 Mon 11-Oct-21 10:11:42

I think that is quite posh

'A sprawling, 10-bedroom residence, it feels reassuringly lived-in and eclectically homespun. Hand-painted azulejo tiles depicting pomegranates and sunflowers line the bathrooms; there's a scrubbed-oak table set for 20 in the dining room and a card table in the well-stocked library ready for gin rummy. With two swimming pools (one heated year-round), a tennis court, games room and helipad, '

Josianne Mon 11-Oct-21 10:11:12

Lucca

Apologies for my contribution of french texting . I had to look up what Josianne write and then decided to reply in kind. No showing off intended …

Well if you're citing me Lucca I'll pass this business back to Jane Judge and her mention of Raymond. And she will pass it back to someone who said something about loving the French or their loving us.
No showing off intended, just how minds work, ( note I didn't say how brains work!)

PippaZ Mon 11-Oct-21 10:09:04

Kali2 Mon 11-Oct-21 10:08:09

Alegrias1

Donnez-moi un break Urmstongran

Shall we break into Latin? Mine's a bit rusty but I'll get by. That's OK, isn't it. Latin? My ancient Greek is non-existent....

Well Johnson likes to show off his Latin, and a bit of Greek - just to pad out his Conference speeches and make him look a bit more erudite... no?

Speaking a few words and phrases if fine if you go once to some country- but if you own property there and go for long periods of time on a regular basis- it would be nice if more Brits made a tad more effort- to show respect and to try and take more part in local life- not just expats. But- hey ho.

Back to Johnson and the Tory Party- brilliant contribution here by Ian Hislop- and it is seriously concerning

youtu.be/atZfmZlM5zs

Up in the hills at the enormous very posh villa Zak Goldman has lent him for his hols- I wonder how much Spanish Johnson is speaking?

Alegrias1 Mon 11-Oct-21 10:07:42

OK, I used 6 French words at the start of a post. The rest of the post was in reasonably good English. wink I then used a phrase twice, misspelling it once. A couple of people made funny comments using abbreviations, which I also had to look up, BTW. Oh, and I used 2 non-English interjections.

That's not monopolising the conversation UG, I'm sure that the thread hasn't gone over anybody's head.

Casdon Mon 11-Oct-21 10:05:49

I think to be fair that the majority of Brits of our age did learn French at school, so I think most would understand the basics at least? My children learned Welsh too, but there would be less of an audience for that on here! I think it’s a great shame that less value is placed on languages in schools these days, because a basic knowledge is actually very useful, and there are common roots in a lot of the European languages, I can pick up some of the gist of Spanish and Italian as well because I learned French, I’m sure that’s not unusual.

PippaZ Mon 11-Oct-21 10:03:13

I like the clever people on here. They make me look things up and I learn from them.

Me too. I came on here to learn and I certainly have done so - from many and varied people.

Urmstongran Mon 11-Oct-21 10:00:51

Thank you Lucca.

Lucca Mon 11-Oct-21 09:59:30

Apologies for my contribution of french texting . I had to look up what Josianne write and then decided to reply in kind. No showing off intended …

Urmstongran Mon 11-Oct-21 09:58:41

I too like clever people & learning stuff on here. But when a thread goes over the heads of most people that’s not inclusive is it?

I wonder what people reading this are thinking?
Perhaps I can ‘ask the audience’?

Alegrias1 Mon 11-Oct-21 09:55:36

Donnez-moi un break Urmstongran

Shall we break into Latin? Mine's a bit rusty but I'll get by. That's OK, isn't it. Latin? My ancient Greek is non-existent....

PippaZ Mon 11-Oct-21 09:55:35

Scones Mon 11-Oct-21 09:54:57

I learned French and German at my 'cannon fodder factory for blue collar workers' comprehensive school in the middle of a huge urban council estate. It was required of all pupils up to age 14. My family and I are working class to the core - posh we ain't. I speak English and French with an accent that would make Vicky Pollard sound like a duchess.

Thinking that Johnny Foreigner learning English is a given but that foreign languages are less easy for Brits pretty much sums up the Brexit mentality to me.

I like the clever people on here. They make me look things up and I learn from them.

Alegrias1 Mon 11-Oct-21 09:53:56