Gransnet forums

News & politics

Conservative party conference outcomes

(337 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

Scones Sun 03-Oct-21 09:39:12

The PM has said "big, bold decisions" are needed" and it would be interesting to hear what Conservative voters are hoping for.

lemongrove Sun 03-Oct-21 10:00:46

Are you one Scones?
Personally I never hope for anything from political party conferences, but will be interested to hear what is said on a few topics.

Scones Sun 03-Oct-21 10:13:34

I'm not, but I'm interested to understand a wide range of views and motivations.

yggdrasil Sun 03-Oct-21 12:18:02

If they can't stick to their manifesto, why should any decisions made at Conference matter.
And that is not a comment aimed at any particular party

vegansrock Sun 03-Oct-21 12:28:16

I predict it will be as well organised as a Nuremberg rally with loads of flags and giving themselves a huge round of applause for meaningless sound bites like levelling up and build back better and global Britain , with no firm plans an no mention of labour shortages in many sectors, inflation, highest taxes since the war, how much Brexit is really costing, the fact that EU countries are ahead of us in the vaccine programme, relaxing regulations on polluting our waterways, social care ,how much Tory donors have been given for PPE and other contracts etc etc. Can’t wait.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 03-Oct-21 13:10:17

Fifth post in and Nuremberg Rally is mentioned, I think that must be a record!

Spinnaker Sun 03-Oct-21 13:26:01

and giving themselves a huge round of applause for meaningless sound bites

A bit like any conference, whatever the party hmm

Barmeyoldbat Sun 03-Oct-21 14:26:47

I am not the slightest bit interested in what they have to say, it is all hot air and they can’t be trusted to keep to any decisions made. It will all be flag flying, rule Britannia and look at me how wonderful I am.

ginny Sun 03-Oct-21 15:03:11

Again a bit like any conference, whatever party.

Urmstongran Sun 03-Oct-21 18:08:27

Hmm. Mostly bread & circuses I imagine here in Manchester.

Nobody will dare speak such heresy, just as nobody will dare to suggest the NHS is anything other than perfect. To speak against our twin gods is sacrilege but the 'greening ' cost and associated chaos is electoral poison.

Urmstongran Mon 04-Oct-21 12:21:01

This is truly shocking ...

Andy Burnham has condemned a protest banner at the Conservative Party conference in Manchester that recalled the 1984 Brighton bombing by the IRA.

Unknown protesters hung a banner from a bridge over the Irwell River, Greater Manchester, which read: “Remember we only have to be lucky once’.

PippaZ Wed 06-Oct-21 08:21:20

The Conservatives will not tell you Scones. There are liars, dammed liars and Conservatives. Already they are saying they don't care, are not concerned or "what do you think". I'm not surprised.

We were not told the Conservatives told would carry out Johnson's dreams on the backs of those unable to do anything about their poverty. We said we thought they would be but were told that would not happen by Conservatives here - on Gransnet.

Johnson's dreams will be carried out on the backs of those with disabilities. Even, as we saw yesterday, disabilities you were born with and cannot change.

Johnson's dreams will be carried out on the backs of those with a family member child, partner or parent, with disabilities.

Johnson's dreams will be carried out on the backs of the old and very old, whose state pension is a major part of their income.

Johnson's dreams will be carried out on the backs of those who don't have the skills for the jobs available.

These are the people the Conservatives will make poorer for Johnson to "tackle" what he thinks we need but never told the country how he would do it. So why didn't the Conservatives detail their model when asking us to vote?

If your Conservative candidate told you this is what they would do, then shame on you if you voted for them.

If they did not, and you voted for them, then shame on both of you for not asking the question.

Don't even attempt to argue that this is what we need. We are supposed to live in a democracy. I want to know who knew that this is what would happen to the poorest in society - and who lied. It is very obvious from the conference that many MPs had no idea. It is obvious that businesses had no idea they too would pay for Johnson's dreams. In a world where America's economy grows more equal, ours will grind more people into poverty.

vegansrock Wed 06-Oct-21 08:32:09

But it’s going to be a high wage economy ( for some) and the way to do is to suffer soviet style shortages and hardships. Look how well East Germany are doing now? (oops no they are in the EU and so must be badly off). Well this is the policy they only dreamed up about 2 weeks ago when the supply chain crisis was beginning to show. The idea that immigrant workers are all low skilled and low paid is just ridiculous and should be challenged . Look at all the consultants in the NHS and private sectors, bankers, scientists, dentists etc etc

Whitewavemark2 Wed 06-Oct-21 08:40:18

What is becoming clear from the speeches and various interviews this week is

“Johnson's Tories are the enemy of farming, the enemy of the poor, the enemy of business, the enemy of law, the enemy of health, the enemy of education, the enemy of truth, the enemy of diplomacy, the enemy of democracy, the enemy of community and the enemy of the British people.”

ayse Wed 06-Oct-21 08:47:05

Whitewavemark2

What is becoming clear from the speeches and various interviews this week is

“Johnson's Tories are the enemy of farming, the enemy of the poor, the enemy of business, the enemy of law, the enemy of health, the enemy of education, the enemy of truth, the enemy of diplomacy, the enemy of democracy, the enemy of community and the enemy of the British people.”

??????

love0c Wed 06-Oct-21 09:16:55

However, Johnson is still the favourite to win the next election. I am no fan! There is still no other realistic, fair and intelligent political party to take on the conservatives. Hence, the Conservatives will be in again.

Kali2 Wed 06-Oct-21 09:33:56

Excellent article in The Spectator:

''So many stories. As the audience looks back down the years, they will remember the story of Johnson saying ‘there will be no non-tariff barriers to trade’. His deal would ‘allow our companies and our exporters to do even more business with our European friends.’ (Exporters order books have collapsed.)

They will remember Johnson harrumphing to the House of Commons that ‘there is no threat to the Erasmus scheme,’ and any MP suggesting otherwise was ‘talking through the back of his neck'. (Erasmus has now gone.)

And they will remember Johnson’s story to the fishing industry that Brexit would allow it to catch ‘quite prodigious quantities of extra fish.’ (It hasn’t.)

Older readers will remember Johnson warning in 2016 that Turkey would join the EU if they did not support Brexit and 77 million Turks could be coming here ‘without any checks at all’. (Five years on and there still isn’t the smallest possibility that Turkey will join the EU.) They may even remember Johnson saying, ‘I didn’t say anything about Turkey in the referendum’. (He did.)

Back we go until we reach the founding myth of the Brexit campaign that all warnings about the dangers of believing a word Johnson said were ‘Project Fear’. He would make ‘this country the greatest place on earth’. We would overtake France and Germany and our children and grandchildren would live ‘longer, happier, healthier, wealthier lives’.

Perhaps Conservative voters start each day afresh willing to believe today’s story even as yesterday’s is discredited; perhaps the audience at the Conservative party conference will listen as eagerly as the Sultan listened to Scheherazade and never want the web of fantasy to snap. As their country sinks around them, they will applaud their unreliable narrator and prove the wisdom of the words of One Thousand and One Nights: ‘People need stories more than bread itself’.

Or petrol, or fish, or exports or an honest prime minister.''

Kali2 Wed 06-Oct-21 09:34:44

Full article

www.spectator.co.uk/article/the-fantasy-world-of-boris-johnson?utm_medium=email&utm_source=CampaignMonitor_Editorial&utm_campaign=BLND++202110005++Facebook++SM+CID_b93525a58a252508be7b9d41a87aad33

Whitewavemark2 Wed 06-Oct-21 09:42:54

Good post kali

PippaZ Wed 06-Oct-21 09:49:46

love0c

However, Johnson is still the favourite to win the next election. I am no fan! There is still no other realistic, fair and intelligent political party to take on the conservatives. Hence, the Conservatives will be in again.

He should be during and after a conference, shouldn't he?

He is setting himself up as a "New Conservative" the past, with or without Conservative governments, was not good enough, he will say. Never mind if you voted for Thatcher, et al. He is going to change things -whether he has been given our democratic vote to do so or not.

Meanwhile, his Chancellor still stands for business (not "businesses" as they weren't consulted) as usual. They each come from an entirely different stance.

This should be interesting, especially when we have the return of inflation - a given under Johnson's dream.

Dinahmo Wed 06-Oct-21 09:59:26

We're fast becoming the sick man of Europe.

Kali2 Wed 06-Oct-21 10:55:25

Will anyone, just anyone- irrespective of political persuasion or attitude to Brexit- believe Johnson and co that this diabolical mess we find ourselves in, was actually THEIR PLAN ALL ALONG.

Anyone?

rosie1959 Wed 06-Oct-21 11:16:07

Kali2

Will anyone, just anyone- irrespective of political persuasion or attitude to Brexit- believe Johnson and co that this diabolical mess we find ourselves in, was actually THEIR PLAN ALL ALONG.

Anyone?

In one word no
Brexit was always going to be a pain in the arse especially over the first few months/years
Covid has thrown a right spanner in any forward planning they didn’t expect to have to pay our a humongous amount of money just to keep us afloat
They couldn’t have planned for Coronavirus back in 2019

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 06-Oct-21 11:16:54

No, despite being that object of hate and derision, a Conservative voter, I’m not looking for anything in particular from the conference. I think all parties’ conferences are just an excuse for a beano fuelled by hot air and a holiday from Parliament for those MPs not attending.

MaizieD Wed 06-Oct-21 11:18:01

Kali2

Anyone?

It was certainly Dominic Cummings' plan. Throw everything up into the air and see where it lands.

It also suits the ERG, who wanted the hardest of hard Brexits , who stymied May's 'deal' and who are the tail wagging the dog of this government.

Johnson is just a bag of hot air who suits them to be PM at the moment because, I think, they recognise that he is incapable of changing any of his, much vaunted by some, 'liberal instinct' driven soundbites into reality because he hasn't the faintest notion of how to lead them into agreement. But he keeps them in power because of his (waning) populist appeal.

The narrative coming from the conference is populist authoritarian and and destructive of any notion that the state should care for its citizens. Nothing liberal about the tories at all.