Gransnet forums

News & politics

Protests blocking the highway

(10 Posts)
FannyCornforth Tue 05-Oct-21 15:29:22

Thanks M0nica!
Always the voice of wisdom. smile
I must have got carried away with my estimation of them. Silly me!

M0nica Tue 05-Oct-21 14:30:51

No, the government are too stupid to think of anything like that. Do notgive them ideas!smile

FannyCornforth Tue 05-Oct-21 14:24:38

Crusties, not crustiest

FannyCornforth Tue 05-Oct-21 14:24:15

I’ve just been wondering…
Do you think that it’s a possibility that this ‘rent a mob’ (‘Irresponsible crustiest’ I think Johnson called them this morning on LBC) is actually part of a conspiracy?
A conspiracy by the Government (or whoever) to soften the GB public up for their controversial Public Protest laws?

M0nica Tue 05-Oct-21 14:19:36

I too would query the OPs deductions, because most modern very well insulated houses, and those with insulation retro fitted do not have these problems. Most plastic framed double glazing has a trickle vent at the top of each window to enable the house to ventilate.

I would have a lot more respect for Insulate now and ER if they had published a fully researched, peer reviewed report that showed how their irrational and unreasonable demands could be met in any reasonable time scale. For the insulation -rentamob- group. I would expect them to have fully assessed materials and methods to be used so that we have no more tragedies like Grenfell tower or find houses suffering damage or becoming dangerous to live in because of the use of unsuitable materials and methods.

I usually have some respect for protest groups but I have none for ER and Insulation Now. Both groups are johny-come-very-very-latelys to the party. There are a large number of responsible environmental groups from The Green Party and others who have received a lot of respect and media coverage for raising concerns on Climate Change for decades now, before a year or two back, ER came into existence.

We are already at a stage where on some days half our electricity comes from carbon neutral sources. In fact today 60% of the power we are using, as I write, is from carbon-neutral sources (wind, solar, hydro, uclear) gridwatch.co.uk/

ER and Insulation are a rentamob crowd of the disaffected, who were looking for a cause and thought Climate Change would be a good band wagon to climb on.

NotSpaghetti Tue 05-Oct-21 12:30:06

That is my understanding, Blossoming.
We rented a property once with a damp and mouldy kitchen. The landlord was made to dry line and insulate it by the local council's environmental health team - and guess what, the problem went away.

Blossoming Tue 05-Oct-21 12:25:59

Isn’t it condensation that causes most problems with mould and mildew?

MaizieD Tue 05-Oct-21 12:07:16

@Jackthelad

Do you have any examples of houses where insulation causes this problem?

I would suspect that it's a combination of cold air in poorly insulated houses and poor ventilation.

But then, my knowledge of physics isn't too good...

NotSpaghetti Tue 05-Oct-21 10:32:36

I suppose if it's the end of the world as we know it, we can hardly accuse people of not thinking things through.

Jackthelad Tue 05-Oct-21 09:42:16

Insulation Rebellion protest is wrong all ways round. Firstly we live on a small island with very high humidity. Humidity is the amount of moisture in the air. In house we have heating, cook and breathe: all of which produce moisture. Air revolves so that hot air rises and cold air comes in to replace it. As the hot air rises it reaches dew point when it releases the water as it can no longer support it, onto a cold surface. This where mildew and rot appear. So buildings must breathe and have air circulation. This places a limitation on the amount and degree of insulation that can be used. Today from my observations most building seem to have achieved that balance . So why the are these protesters protesting. I am inclined to think they are useful idiots mischief making on behalf of other group. This group of protesters just don't think things through and have no care as to any collateral damage they inflict