Gransnet forums

News & politics

The “grim” struggle of living on an MP’s *£81,932 salary* [angry]

(158 Posts)
grannyactivist Thu 07-Oct-21 12:14:59

You really could not make this up. Yesterday, the day on which Universal Credit cuts were implemented, Conservative MP Peter Bottomley, complained of the 'desperation' MPs faced by having to live on this meagre salary. angry

I work in a full-time unpaid job 'desperately' trying to plug the gaps created by the effects of austerity cuts implemented by Peter Bottomley's government.

A couple who are aged over 25 receive Universal Credit at the rate of £7,158.96 a year (that's per couple, not each).

nanna8 Thu 07-Oct-21 12:23:17

Some people are so cut off from the rest of the world that they only comprehend their little circle. It is quite frightening when they are also politicians who are supposed to be ‘in touch’ with their electorate. The best thing is to vote them out because they will never understand or comprehend how ordinary people live.

Alegrias1 Thu 07-Oct-21 12:31:06

Michael Portillo, not really making things any better:

"So if you went into the House of Commons at 26 and you get £82,000 you think, ‘this is fantastic’ because you were stacking shelves the week before, or whatever," he said.

"But when you are, and I think Peter is, over 70 and you’ve all those years of seniority and you are [still] making £82,000 pounds.

MaizieD Thu 07-Oct-21 12:34:09

I think people had better consider his background before making sweeping judgements:

Before university he worked around Australia, including three weeks teaching at Geelong Grammar School deputising for the explorer and teacher John Béchervaise, and unloading trucks in Melbourne docks. In between, he spent a week walking in Mount Field National Park with Tenzing Norgay. After university, he became a lorry driver and joined the Transport and General Workers Union, before moving on to industrial sales and industrial relations.[3] In the early 1970s, he co-founded the Neighbourhood Council in South Lambeth, resulting in the creation of football pitches and other facilities at Larkhall Park. His last job before entering Parliament was putting lights outside theatres and cinemas in London's West End. Bottomley joined the Conservative Party in 1972, at the age of 28.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Bottomley

Not quite a gilded youth.

But, I am willing to concede that it was the most crass and insensitive claim to make at this moment.

MaizieD Thu 07-Oct-21 12:35:32

"But when you are, and I think Peter is, over 70 and you’ve all those years of seniority and you are [still] making £82,000 pounds.

Doesn't the Father of the House get a bit extra?

MissAdventure Thu 07-Oct-21 12:36:30

He is the son of sir James Bottomly, according to that wiki page.

Alegrias1 Thu 07-Oct-21 12:39:02

MaizieD

I think people had better consider his background before making sweeping judgements:

Before university he worked around Australia, including three weeks teaching at Geelong Grammar School deputising for the explorer and teacher John Béchervaise, and unloading trucks in Melbourne docks. In between, he spent a week walking in Mount Field National Park with Tenzing Norgay. After university, he became a lorry driver and joined the Transport and General Workers Union, before moving on to industrial sales and industrial relations.[3] In the early 1970s, he co-founded the Neighbourhood Council in South Lambeth, resulting in the creation of football pitches and other facilities at Larkhall Park. His last job before entering Parliament was putting lights outside theatres and cinemas in London's West End. Bottomley joined the Conservative Party in 1972, at the age of 28.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Bottomley

Not quite a gilded youth.

But, I am willing to concede that it was the most crass and insensitive claim to make at this moment.

I really don't care if he was Mother Theresa.

Perhaps he could get himself promoted to a senior post again and then he'd get a senior salary.

Apparently all we need to do to get a better salary is to ask for it, according to the guests on Jeremy Vine today.

Alegrias1 Thu 07-Oct-21 12:40:33

Ohh - just thought.....

Does he still have his HGV licence?

grin

MissAdventure Thu 07-Oct-21 12:49:43

grin

JenniferEccles Thu 07-Oct-21 12:50:25

In this day and age it’s really not a high salary though is it?
Hundreds of thousands of people in all walks of life
earn considerably more as well as CEOs of thousands of companies.
Then of course we get onto the ridiculous sums paid to tv presenters and footballers.

Boris Johnson took a considerable pay cut when he became PM.

growstuff Thu 07-Oct-21 12:53:20

Alegrias1

Ohh - just thought.....

Does he still have his HGV licence?

grin

He's probably let it lapse. You need to do 30 hours' training within a five year period.

MissAdventure Thu 07-Oct-21 12:57:04

15 thousand on expenses on top of his earnings last year.
Oh my achey, breaky heart!

growstuff Thu 07-Oct-21 12:57:18

JenniferEccles

Then of course we get onto the ridiculous sums paid to tv presenters and footballers.

Well, yes, it is. He's in the highest paid 2 or 3%.

From what I know of Bottomley, he's a reasonably hard-working MP, who takes up a variety of causes, so I don't begrudge what he does earn, but he doesn't have any additional responsibility.

NotSpaghetti Thu 07-Oct-21 12:57:22

I don't think the background above is particularly noteworthy (except of course he went to Westminster School and then Trinity Cambridge).
Like most people he worked between school and university. Then he went to university (3 or possibly 4 years) and then he worked a few years and at 28 was in parliament.

I'm not really sure what you are pointing us towards Maisie?..

growstuff Thu 07-Oct-21 13:01:30

NotSpaghetti

I don't think the background above is particularly noteworthy (except of course he went to Westminster School and then Trinity Cambridge).
Like most people he worked between school and university. Then he went to university (3 or possibly 4 years) and then he worked a few years and at 28 was in parliament.

I'm not really sure what you are pointing us towards Maisie?..

And I dare say that his education and family background mean that he has a few influential friends.

Dinahmo Thu 07-Oct-21 13:06:44

JenniferEccles

Median incomes in 2019/20:

The richest 1/5 £62'400
The poorest 1/5 £13,880
The retired £23,557

It would seem that Peter Bottomley isn't doing too badly.

MissAdventure Thu 07-Oct-21 13:11:06

Really this just shows how little regard is given to the poorest people.
To have the audacity to speak of "desperation" is an absolute insult.

growstuff Thu 07-Oct-21 13:13:10

No, he's not doing badly at all.

In the UK, there's a tail at the top end with some people earning very high amounts, but there are very few people in the group.

Dinahmo Thu 07-Oct-21 13:15:17

Furthermore, his wife was an MP for a number of years and has been a peer since 2005.

growstuff Thu 07-Oct-21 13:16:45

His wife, Virginia, is a former MP and is now in the House of Lords, so has a pension and pay for sitting in the Lords, if she so wants. She also has various business interests, so I doubt very much if they're desperate.

growstuff Thu 07-Oct-21 13:16:55

Snap

chris8888 Thu 07-Oct-21 13:17:47

Different world isn`t it, people on zero hour contracts, or very low wages etc and he spouts this rubbish.
Well said - Missadventure it is an insult.

Lucca Thu 07-Oct-21 13:18:47

Classroom teachers would dream of that level of salary, as would nurses.

growstuff Thu 07-Oct-21 13:19:04

Like other MPs, he also owns property:

publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm/cmregmem/201109/bottomley_peter.htm

Lucca Thu 07-Oct-21 13:20:30

JenniferEccles

Yes it is a high salary. And even if you were correct in saying it is not a high salary it certainly is NOT “desperate”