Gransnet forums

News & politics

Who is paying for it then?

(190 Posts)
Kali2 Mon 11-Oct-21 17:16:02

Boris Johnson’s spokesman repeatedly refused on Monday to confirm who has paid for Boris Johnson’s holiday to Marbella and won't say whether the Prime Minister has paid for his own holiday or who else has funded it.

Pushed on the question, Downing Street would only say that the prime minister would disclose any donations he has received, if required to do so, at a later date.

The caginess from Johnson’s spokesman follows reports that the prime minister is currently staying at a villa owned by the Conservative peer Zac Goldsmith.

Goldsmith, who is a close friend of both Johnson and his wife, was handed a peerage by Johnson, despite having been rejected by voters three times in just four years.''

Does anyone know- how many holidays has the PM had since he became PM!

Kali2 Tue 12-Oct-21 17:22:17

Josianne

Irrespective of whether Boris should be away on holiday rather than leading from Number 10, the answer to the question, "Who is paying for it?", is the owner of course. It's certainly not a peak week, and half term bookings are a few weeks off yet. The property would be standing idle anyway and charges like utilities, taxes and insurance are paid annually. It makes no real odds.
Someone mentioned cleaning, laundry and bed making. Really? We allowed friends to use our properties free of charge, but how churlish would it have been to say, "give us £100 for the cleaning, oh yes and £60 for the linen, and £20 for the logs you use." We even left the car keys for them to go out and about.
Whether in Boris's case the owner is out for something else in return, we don't know. Maybe he is just a good mate.

Josianne, why would it be standing idle? It is currently half term holiday in several European countries, and Goldsmith rents it for £15.000 a week.

Parliamentary rules request that all gifts are registered and vested/interests declared. He has recently give Goldsmith a peerage, for instance. And as said before, there are still many questions un-answered about 'gifts' of previous exotic and very expensive holidays- including one in Umbria with Russian Oligarchs- which was a huge safety concern for UK at the time- and now linked to Tory party funding.

But the main question remains- which responsible PM goes off on his jollies in the middle of a very serious crisis- especially as he has had quite a substantial number since becoming PM.

Do continue defending him, whatever he does, or more importantly, does NOT do ... If you do not believe the country is in a very serious crisis- then ... wait and see.

growstuff Tue 12-Oct-21 17:15:16

Daisend1

I would not want his job how ever many holidays how much money I earned. Knowing you can't move without someone watching No thanks.

But he did want it and did everything he could to get it.

Daisend1 Tue 12-Oct-21 16:57:40

I would not want his job how ever many holidays how much money I earned. Knowing you can't move without someone watching No thanks.

dolphindaisy Tue 12-Oct-21 16:43:06

Josianne

^without needing to holiday in a 25k per night villa.^
Good Lord dolphindaisy, that's steep! I think it is £25k per week and probably in high season. grin

Sorry - must have got mixed up with the holiday I had when expecting my 2nd.

JaneJudge Tue 12-Oct-21 16:34:50

25k could be a house deposit to someone trapped in our ridiculous rental market, someone who is working hard

Josianne Tue 12-Oct-21 16:32:06

without needing to holiday in a 25k per night villa.
Good Lord dolphindaisy, that's steep! I think it is £25k per week and probably in high season. grin

JaneJudge Tue 12-Oct-21 16:29:49

MayBeMaw

^Borace wimp^

I know it's going back a bit JaneJudge but I didnt understand this ???

but he just stood there mumbling and fumbling

he has found a wife though, 3 in fact

GrannyGravy13 Tue 12-Oct-21 16:25:54

Whitewavemark2

8 that he’s admitting to I think.

He told an American journalist when he was in the US last month (CBS I think) he had 6 children and was expecting his seventh.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 12-Oct-21 16:20:57

8 that he’s admitting to I think.

dolphindaisy Tue 12-Oct-21 16:20:04

JenniferEccles

If all these ‘thousands of women in this country expecting another child’ are so desperately hard up as you are implying, dolphindaisy why are they putting themselves more in debt by adding to their family?

Oh yes I forgot. Only having the size of family they can afford, is, amazingly, an alien concept with some on GN.

Pammie1 ?

I didn't say ALL the women expecting their 2nd child are desperately hard up, just that they manage to have a 2nd child without needing to holiday in a 25k per night villa. Some of them (even the ones who are working) might claim Universal Credit but still managed before the huge rise in food and gas prices and the loss of £20 per week. My point was disputing the ridiculous idea the Johnsons need a Spanish holiday because they are having a 2nd child- or whatever number this is for Boris.

trisher Tue 12-Oct-21 16:07:15

Can't imagine what anyone is complaining about, it's obviously part of the "Build back Better" policy. Which should actually read "Build Back Better for Boris". He's looking for bigger villas and better holidays and b*****the rest of the country. I wouldn't be surprised to see an advert in the Times. "Free peerage offered for holidays in luxury villa. Apply 10 Downing Street." I mean you wouldn't want him having stay somewhere like Chequers for a week would you? Not with a fuel shortage and soaring energy prices.

Daisymae Tue 12-Oct-21 15:55:58

There's no doubt that the country is in crisis after crisis. The PM should be at least in the country. Despite the fact they are trying to say that he is WFH.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 12-Oct-21 15:55:58

Maudi

Well I'm confused as well, why my post was deleted, Whitewave 13.31 repeats it ?

That’s because I’m perfect????????

Maudi Tue 12-Oct-21 15:47:54

Well I'm confused as well, why my post was deleted, Whitewave 13.31 repeats it ?

Callistemon Tue 12-Oct-21 15:32:12

Yet again I miss all the fun deleted posts!

MayBeMaw Tue 12-Oct-21 15:28:27

Borace wimp

I know it's going back a bit JaneJudge but I didnt understand this ???

Josianne Tue 12-Oct-21 13:51:43

I think the £20 a week was the right thing in the circumstances. I do think it was taken away again far too soon. However, I don't think it was ever intended to be forever.

growstuff Tue 12-Oct-21 13:47:14

Witzend I expect there were, but I'm sure I remember being told that two wrongs don't make a right.

3nanny6 Tue 12-Oct-21 13:37:50

Is he having a lovely holiday? It's amazing he has buggered off
a fine time to have a holiday with the complete crisis the country is in. Haulage problems gas problems closing down of businesses if they don't get money in the next couple of weeks, and the £20 per week off Universal credit just starting which will make it difficult for mothers to FEED THE CHILDREN in half term and also run up to Christmas.
I wish I could take a weeks holiday even in England that would be good too busy keeping up with the rising cost of food and paying my energy bills so it will probably be a pound of sausages and onion gravy for Christmas day.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 12-Oct-21 13:31:43

Josianne

Maudi

Yes any poster from anywhere can post on this forum but why if you live in Switzerland are you bothered about Boris?

Because maybe you have children and grandchildren in the UK?

Maybe because she is British. Not that it makes an iota of difference. I have opinions about other leaders and their actions.

Alegrias1 Tue 12-Oct-21 13:29:43

JenniferEccles

If all these ‘thousands of women in this country expecting another child’ are so desperately hard up as you are implying, dolphindaisy why are they putting themselves more in debt by adding to their family?

Oh yes I forgot. Only having the size of family they can afford, is, amazingly, an alien concept with some on GN.

Pammie1 ?

Dear me.

Boris apparently can't live on his paltry PM's salary. Yet they are having more children. That's OK, is it? Oh yes, he's posh, of course.

Witzend Tue 12-Oct-21 13:23:16

growstuff

Witzend

TBH if it had been a villa belonging to some dodgy oligarch then I’d certainly be worked up about it. But it doesn’t, so I can’t.

Might add that (whatever anyone thinks of the Tories) Zac Goldsmith was our MP and was an excellent and very active constituency MP, who replied very promptly to any email and frequently held public evening meetings where anyone could air views or ask questions. I never went but dh went to several.

In this constituency it’s always a pretty close toss up between Tories/LDs - Labour come nowhere. IIRC in the previous GE the LD candidate lost (after more than one recount) by only 50 odd votes.

But the fact remains that he was voted out more than once and was given a peerage. At the very least, it smacks of cronyism and has a whiff of "cash for questions" about it.

Have there never been peerages for Labour MPs who’d lost their seats? Genuine question, I don’t know.

As regards jobs for the boys, though, I’m not sure there’s much to beat Neil Kinnock and Peter Mandelson swanning off to extremely lucrative jobs in Brussels.

JenniferEccles Tue 12-Oct-21 13:22:45

Pammie1 ?

Josianne Tue 12-Oct-21 13:12:36

Message deleted by Gransnet. Quotes a deleted post.

Maudi Tue 12-Oct-21 13:09:43

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.