Gransnet forums

News & politics

Who is paying for it then?

(189 Posts)
Gwyneth Mon 11-Oct-21 18:23:19

I think you’re just stirring quite honestly. The PM and his family deserve a holiday. Why should they be different to everyone else? The rest of the Cabinet I’m sure can cope whilst he is away for a short holiday.

Forsythia Mon 11-Oct-21 18:22:25

This man, like him or loathe him, has had COVID, been at deaths door apparently, has just lost his mother to whom he was very close. Why is he not allowed a week away? Who cares if Zac Goldsmith has loaned him his villa? At least he isn’t putting it through on expenses. He is entitled to a week away with his wife, his little toddler and I hope he has a good rest.

Kali2 Mon 11-Oct-21 18:18:49

The country is facing the biggest multiple crisis in a very long time. And if holidays and other perks are exchanged for peerages (you know, that undemocratic chamber where big decisions are made- and where peers are paid too)- then I do believe it is a matter for concern.

Gwyneth Mon 11-Oct-21 18:17:57

So if a friend offered their villa to you for a holiday would you refuse Kali? Why are you making such an issue of it?

MamaCaz Mon 11-Oct-21 18:15:58

Chestnut

When you think of the responsibility the PM has, and how he is called upon at weekends as well as during the week I don't begrudge him a holiday now and then. He should be able to get away and unwind without being criticised for doing so.

That scenario (apart from the 'responsibility, but that is a subjective term ...) also describes perfectly many people in minimum wage jobs, such as care workers.

Like Boris, at least part of their income frequently comes from the public purse, yet they are regularly criticised for far less!

Josianne Mon 11-Oct-21 18:15:30

I agree with MayBeMaw.

Lucca Mon 11-Oct-21 18:10:41

MayBeMaw

Does any body really care? Well obviously you do, but why should it be an issue?
People in senior positions in industry, the law, finance, whatever have holidays, they are at the end of a telephone or internet connection, BJ has not gone to the moon or into a deep jungle to render him incommunicado.
If Zac Goldsmith who is not short of a bob or two offers him his villa for a family holiday that is no skin off my nose or indeed yours
How many holidays the PM has had? So what?
It’s hardly worth getting up a head of steam about.

You know what ? I agree with you. I have scant regard for our illustrious PM but this seems a bit OTT. There are far more things he can be criticised for or questioned about.

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 11-Oct-21 18:04:58

Couldn’t agree more MayBeMaw. On television this morning there was the usual moaning that he was on holiday given the ‘energy crisis’. When isn’t there some crisis or other? How can anyone be expected to work at that level without holidays? But anyone at that level is always contactable and indeed working. I wasn’t PM but working while on holiday was the norm - clients demanded access 24/7.

Cold Mon 11-Oct-21 18:03:11

I don't really care where Boris goes on holiday

However there is a reason that MPs have to declare expensive gifts.

Chestnut Mon 11-Oct-21 18:01:47

When you think of the responsibility the PM has, and how he is called upon at weekends as well as during the week I don't begrudge him a holiday now and then. He should be able to get away and unwind without being criticised for doing so.

Visgir1 Mon 11-Oct-21 18:00:13

My first thought was, why can't he have one?
Regardless of you job we are all entitled to a holiday.

MayBeMaw Mon 11-Oct-21 17:56:29

Does any body really care? Well obviously you do, but why should it be an issue?
People in senior positions in industry, the law, finance, whatever have holidays, they are at the end of a telephone or internet connection, BJ has not gone to the moon or into a deep jungle to render him incommunicado.
If Zac Goldsmith who is not short of a bob or two offers him his villa for a family holiday that is no skin off my nose or indeed yours
How many holidays the PM has had? So what?
It’s hardly worth getting up a head of steam about.

rosie1959 Mon 11-Oct-21 17:55:31

If the villa belongs to a friend probably hasn't paid anything
Holidays this year think he went away in the summer but that didn't last more than a day
Last year Scotland
Christmas 2019 Mozambique
2days Portugal for his Honeymoon
All I can think of

Kali2 Mon 11-Oct-21 17:16:02

Boris Johnson’s spokesman repeatedly refused on Monday to confirm who has paid for Boris Johnson’s holiday to Marbella and won't say whether the Prime Minister has paid for his own holiday or who else has funded it.

Pushed on the question, Downing Street would only say that the prime minister would disclose any donations he has received, if required to do so, at a later date.

The caginess from Johnson’s spokesman follows reports that the prime minister is currently staying at a villa owned by the Conservative peer Zac Goldsmith.

Goldsmith, who is a close friend of both Johnson and his wife, was handed a peerage by Johnson, despite having been rejected by voters three times in just four years.''

Does anyone know- how many holidays has the PM had since he became PM!