Gransnet forums

News & politics

we aren’t in lockdown -so why are there anti lockdown protests?

(54 Posts)
vegansrock Wed 20-Oct-21 12:35:54

Michael Gove was subject to a barrage of obscenities and abuse from
A bunch of anti lockdown protesters yesterday. Are they just fruit cakes?

GrannyMacawell Wed 20-Oct-21 13:02:21

Is it because of a possibility there may be one this winter? regardless any mp should be allowed go about their business without harassment, and given recent events it's unbelievable they think it's acceptable to carry on like this.

Blossoming Wed 20-Oct-21 13:02:50

Disgraceful behaviour, especially in the light of the recent murder of Sir David Amess.

Zoejory Wed 20-Oct-21 13:04:26

They were anti-vaccine protesters.

They are idiots and need a lock down in prison.

lemongrove Wed 20-Oct-21 13:06:21

What others say ????

Casdon Wed 20-Oct-21 13:06:54

I think as they sense that the battle is lost, those who have the alternative viewpoint become more and more aggressive in their assertions. In Cardiff a couple of weekends ago anti-Vax demonstrators were aggressively harassing 12-15 year olds as they went for their vaccinations. The use of the police is the only option in those circumstances I think, because you can’t reason with people who are baying for blood.

AGAA4 Wed 20-Oct-21 13:07:00

However much we disagree with or dislike politicians they shouldn't be open to abuse. As we know this can result in violent acts.

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 20-Oct-21 13:14:00

Well said Zoejory.

Esspee Wed 20-Oct-21 13:51:20

In this country we are far too soft on protestors. Stand around with placards, fair enough. Block motorway slip roads then jail them.
Time we exhibited zero tolerance.

MayBee70 Wed 20-Oct-21 13:57:44

Zoejory

The newsreader who said anti lockdown made another mistake last night too. Having said that, what Gove experienced was nothing like the abuse that Anna Soubry used to suffer from the hands of the pro brexit lot. But no one seemed to care about that.

MayBee70 Wed 20-Oct-21 13:58:56

And newspapers with pictures of people on the front page with the word Traitors above them shouldn’t be allowed.

Maudi Wed 20-Oct-21 15:10:45

The Anna Soubry who looked down on white van man and was a Labour MP who supposedly are the working man's party. No wonder the working man has deserted them.

Sarnia Wed 20-Oct-21 15:37:10

There isn't a great deal going on between the ears with most of these misguided idiots. They probably don't conform with a lockdown when there is one. Anything to wave a placard.

MayBee70 Wed 20-Oct-21 15:38:40

She was Conservative. Get your facts right please. And does that make it right for her to be threatened by men in the street while going to parliament to do gopher job?

MayBee70 Wed 20-Oct-21 15:42:57

Maudi

The Anna Soubry who looked down on white van man and was a Labour MP who supposedly are the working man's party. No wonder the working man has deserted them.

Oh, and it was Emily Thornbury who made the comment about white van man. She apologised, I believe, but also pointed out that her brother was a white van man.

Blossoming Wed 20-Oct-21 15:44:57

Maudi

No, the Anna Soubry who was a Conservative MP and minister before being an independent and later joining Change UK.

members.parliament.uk/member/3938/career

Grannybags Wed 20-Oct-21 15:47:32

Zoejory

Exactly that

Smileless2012 Wed 20-Oct-21 15:49:09

Fruit cakes is one way of describing them.

maddyone Wed 20-Oct-21 15:50:39

If these people are anti vaccine, why don’t they just not have the vaccine? Why do they feel the need to harass other people and try to persuade them not to have the vaccine?

Maudi Wed 20-Oct-21 16:05:25

Yes it was Emily Thornbury in my hurry to post got the names mixed up, I stand corrected. Just substitute Thornbury for Soubry and my post stands. ?

varian Wed 20-Oct-21 18:10:04

maddyone

If these people are anti vaccine, why don’t they just not have the vaccine? Why do they feel the need to harass other people and try to persuade them not to have the vaccine?

They have been brainwashed. Brainwashing has happened a lot in the last ten years.

maddyone Wed 20-Oct-21 19:00:02

You’re right varian, they’re brainwashed and stupid! I normally respect the views of others however much I might differ, but anti vacciners have absolutely no basis for holding their views whatsoever. The ridiculous idea that some sort of a chip is in it so we can be tracked is actually beyond ridiculous.

Blossoming Wed 20-Oct-21 19:04:19

Maudi

Yes it was Emily Thornbury in my hurry to post got the names mixed up, I stand corrected. Just substitute Thornbury for Soubry and my post stands. ?

Except that the post you were responding to wasn’t about Emily Thornbury grin

Maudi Thu 21-Oct-21 07:06:11

Must have been a senior moment ? seem to be having a few of them latelyconfused

Iam64 Thu 21-Oct-21 07:52:00

The polarisation between different points of view seems to be getting worse by the day. These anti vax protesters are like so many ‘minority’ groups, they make a lot of nouse, break laws, intimidate and bully, with impunity.
Worse, they perpetuate total nonsense about the pandemic. I’ll informed, arrogant fools. I’m fed up with them. There. Nothing useful or constructive to add, just a rant from me.