Gransnet forums

News & politics

Is this a humiliation for Glasgow? ?

(284 Posts)
Urmstongran Thu 21-Oct-21 10:05:15

Strikes by binmen, piles of rubbish (and rats) in the streets, road-blocking protests and hotel rooms priced at £1,400 a night set to cast shadow over UN Climate Change Conference which starts on 31 October. Maybe it’s a ‘trick’ for Halloween ?

Alegrias1 Thu 28-Oct-21 20:45:28

Fair enough, point made.

I think I am correct in my assumption that informed commentators would not place the responsibility for any pay deal agreed between companies and Unions in England either at the feet of the Prime Minister of the country, or the country itself as an entity. I believe I am correct in this assumption.

Urmstongran Thu 28-Oct-21 20:41:38

Nah, ye wou'dnae
Yet you tell me what I’d say/do?

Alegrias1 Thu 28-Oct-21 20:41:00

Transport Minister, Graeme Dey? Not Nicola in a pair of trousers, just to be clear.

And yes, from the bastion of unbiased reporting on Scottish matters - the Telegraph

But you can, if you like correct me on the Union. RMT, not Unite. grin

Urmstongran Thu 28-Oct-21 20:35:51

Here ye go ....

“Graeme Day, the Scottish transport minister, said: "We are proud to have brokered and funded a deal which gives Scotland’s rail workers a decent pay rise and improved terms and conditions, in contrast to conditions for rail workers under the UK Government."

However, the deal was criticised by opposition leaders, who said the SNP's approach to handling pay talks did not augur well as it prepared to nationalise Scotland's railways.

After breaking the deadlock, the minister said: “As well as getting the pay rise they deserve, railway workers can now go back to delivering rail services for people right across Scotland and as well as for those attending Cop26."

(My underlining - just to be clear you understand).

Alegrias1 Thu 28-Oct-21 20:31:29

No, I wouldn't Urmstongran, because I know that Johnson isn't a Union negotiator. And I actually still believe that Unions have a role to play and cannot every imagine myself using the word "capitulated" in any discussion in which a Union is standing up for its members.

But I'm really interested to know that you believe you know how I would behave in every circumstance.

Urmstongran Thu 28-Oct-21 20:30:37

Actually didn’t the Scottish government have a hand in the negotiations? I read it somewhere. I know I did. It might even have been (mis)information in the Telegraph. I forget the Scottish minister’s name. Male. I’ll away to check....

Parsley3 Thu 28-Oct-21 20:30:25

Thank you for your concern, UG. The dear green place will cope with the shenanigans of COP26 and life in bonnie Scotland will go on. I do hope that the world leaders will agree to make some positive changes to tackle climate change, otherwise it will all have been a waste of time.

Urmstongran Thu 28-Oct-21 20:27:43

You’d be saying ‘Boris has capitulated ...’ Alegrias.
And you know it.

Petera Thu 28-Oct-21 20:23:46

Alegrias1

No, its not though is it?

Becuase the Telegraph really, really want everyone in rUK to think that Nicola is the only politician we have and that we're all in thrall to her, and that she and only she makes every decision in the whole of Scotland, about everything.

Well she disnae.

Would you say "England have handed rail workers...." etc.

Nah, ye wou'dnae.

Come on Alegrias1, it's all very simple. Just repeat the mantra after me

"Rishi Sunak raises incomes - good
Anyone in Scotland raises incomes - bad
Rishi Sunak raises incomes - good
Anyone in Scotland raises incomes - bad..."

I can guarantee you that, after a few hours, you will have brainwashed yourself and there will be no need to rely on the Telegraph to do it for you.

Elegran Thu 28-Oct-21 19:43:04

When did Scotrail become interchangeable with Scotland? Their franchise doesn't conclude until 31 March 2022.

Alegrias1 Thu 28-Oct-21 19:42:49

No, its not though is it?

Becuase the Telegraph really, really want everyone in rUK to think that Nicola is the only politician we have and that we're all in thrall to her, and that she and only she makes every decision in the whole of Scotland, about everything.

Well she disnae.

Would you say "England have handed rail workers...." etc.

Nah, ye wou'dnae.

Urmstongran Thu 28-Oct-21 19:31:02

Okay.

Well ‘Scotland has handed rail workers ...’
The news is still the same.

Alegrias1 Thu 28-Oct-21 19:28:00

Urmstongran

What part isn’t true?

That on top of everything else, Nicola runs the wages negotiations between Scotrail and Unite.

Maybe she's got one of those Time Turners that Hermione had in Harry Potter so that she can go back in time and be in at least two places at once.

lemongrove Thu 28-Oct-21 19:14:58

If the proposed rail strikes are not going ahead as planned, then what else has happened to call it off?

Urmstongran Thu 28-Oct-21 19:08:38

What part isn’t true?

Alegrias1 Thu 28-Oct-21 19:04:57

Urmstongran

Nicola Sturgeon has handed rail workers a pay rise and a £300 bonus to avoid strikes on public transport as Glasgow hosts the Cop26 climate change summit.

Staff will get a 2.5% wage increase, backdated to April 1st this year, sharply contrasting with a pay freeze for rail workers across England and Wales.

Urmstongran you really need to stop believing that everything you read in the Telegraph is true. grin

Elegran Thu 28-Oct-21 18:59:20

Perhaps libel rather than slander? Slander is spoken, libel is printed/published

Elegran Thu 28-Oct-21 18:58:15

Several newspapers slandered Glasgow. I wonder whether they will apologise? That was a question, too. Questions can be rhetorical and make a statement without expecting an answer.

Urmstongran Thu 28-Oct-21 18:55:11

Who slandered Glasgow? My OP asked a question. It wasn’t a statement!

Urmstongran Thu 28-Oct-21 18:53:35

Nicola Sturgeon has handed rail workers a pay rise and a £300 bonus to avoid strikes on public transport as Glasgow hosts the Cop26 climate change summit.

Staff will get a 2.5% wage increase, backdated to April 1st this year, sharply contrasting with a pay freeze for rail workers across England and Wales.

Glasweegran Thu 28-Oct-21 17:53:36

Today's news.

1) no strikes
2) the rats are shown to be worse in Birmingham, Leeds, Newcastle, Liverpool, London and Sheffield etc etc.... (pestcontrol.co.uk October survey)
3)Praise from the international community for the organisation by the Scottish Government.

Anyone want to apologise for slandering Glasgow?

It's just an incredible amount of anti-Scottish hate in this thread. Small wonder that we want away from all this.

Kalu Mon 25-Oct-21 16:17:10

Jaxjacky

I’m surprised insulate Britain aren’t sticking themselves to the roads in and around Glasgow, perhaps they don’t appreciate the difference, so are staying with London.

Whatever they do or don’t appreciate Jax I for one would be happy for them to remain in London.
We are full up here. ?

Kalu Mon 25-Oct-21 16:14:11

French influence changed Stewart to Stuart/Steuart because of the absence of the letter ‘W’ in the French alphabet.

Jaxjacky Mon 25-Oct-21 16:04:35

I’m surprised insulate Britain aren’t sticking themselves to the roads in and around Glasgow, perhaps they don’t appreciate the difference, so are staying with London.

Petera Mon 25-Oct-21 15:33:51

Marydoll

*Petera*, I stand corrected. I only went back to late 18th century English, but I now know differently.

1711, "an exclusive party of persons; a small set, especially one associating to arrogate power or privilege," from obsolete French clique, which meant originally (14c.) "a sharp noise," also "latch, bolt of a door," from Old French cliquer "click, clatter, crackle, clink,"

I am hanging my head in shame. I can longer claim to be a linguist.

PS, do you want to join our clique? We do make quite a lot of noise! wink

Quite appropriate as apparently it comes from claque. It seems claquers were a group of people distributed around an audience to encourage applause. So the sound (and claque is still used for 'slap') become the group of people.

And, it seems, presumably because of the noise, cliques sometimes means 'clogs'.

Just learning this myself so you're only nanoseconds behind me.