Gransnet forums

News & politics

Keir Starmer’s reshuffle & Angela Rayner

(82 Posts)
Urmstongran Mon 29-Nov-21 15:15:23

Just hours beforehand, Ms Rayner appeared to play down reports of an imminent reshuffle, telling reporters that she believed Sir Keir “would tell me first” before proceeding.

But by 11.30am senior Labour sources had confirmed that a reshuffle had now commenced, with Cat Smith, the shadow secretary of state for young people, publishing her letter of resignation on Twitter.

Was Angela blindsided by this reshuffle do you think?

TopsyIrene06 Sat 04-Dec-21 11:20:50

For what it's worth I was very impressed with Peter Kyle and Kate Green, when they shadowed education together. Peter Kyle now shadows Northern Ireland. He really is worth listening to.

Wes Streeting is another. Bridget Phillipson, Thangam, Debbonaire, Rosina Allin-Khan, Lucy Powell, Rachel Reeves. Just a few of the lesser known MPs I rate. We can but hope.

Lincslass Sat 04-Dec-21 11:52:12

This is all I am saying, the French President is going to have to get re elected next year, hence the foot stamping,
fullfact.org/europe/french-pm-eu-president-punishment-letter/

Mamie Sat 04-Dec-21 13:50:46

Not sure what it has got to do with Keir Starmer, but are you confusing the President and the Prime Minister of France Lincslass? Castex is the PM.

Ilovecheese Sat 04-Dec-21 16:08:15

By the way Urmstongran I love the way you put photos in your opening posts.

Grany Sun 05-Dec-21 10:14:09

Ian Hislop says that Keir Starmer has finally brought ‘some sensible people’ into the Shadow Cabinet and Clive Myrie rightly points out that Yvette Cooper is an absolute proven failure. The look on Hislop’s face. #HIGNFY

— Pete Dudgeon ?? (@PeteDudgeon1) December 3, 2021

Fascinating how the fact Yvette Cooper was Shadow Home Secretary from 2011-2015 has been completely forgotten, for a very good reason – she was completely and utterly invisible in the role, except for occasional gratuitous pandering to migrant bashing rhetoric

Remembering when Yvette Cooper accused Theresa May's 2014 immigration bill of being too soft on immigration.

You know, the one that directly allowed the Windrush scandal to happen.

And her appalling Priti Patel-esque voting record on Asylum Seekers. @Keir_Starmer @UKLabour

— Daniel Grigg (@Daniel_Grigg) November 29, 2021

Anniebach Sun 05-Dec-21 10:51:33

Commonwealth citizens were affected by the government’s ‘Hostile Environment’ legislation - a policy announced in 2012 which tasked the NHS, landlords, banks, employers and many others with enforcing immigration controls. It aimed to make the UK unlivable for undocumented migrants and ultimately push them to leave.