Gransnet forums

News & politics

Does Boris Johnson ever tell the truth?

(69 Posts)
varian Mon 06-Dec-21 14:15:56

Why is he allowed to get away with so many lies?

twitter.com/i/status/1459541907772780546

GillT57 Wed 08-Dec-21 10:46:35

Ian Hislop has briefly talked about the time Johnson was on HIGNFY. He said that Johnson was late, wouldn't follow the format, and was a complete liability and disaster. What a surprise. Not.

Oldnproud Wed 08-Dec-21 08:15:07

Juliet27

JaneJudge

I can't believe he told us all we had to lose weight! I have been wondering who he reminds me of and it's Marjorie Dawes

Ah yes, I see what you mean.
You also reminded me of the nursery rhyme ‘Seesaw Marjorie Daw, Johnny shall have a new master’
We certainly need one!!

That's an insult to Marjory Dawes - at least 'she' always looked neat and tidy, if I remember rightly. grin

Style-wise, I think Boris is looking more and more like like Compo!

Ladyleftfieldlover Wed 08-Dec-21 07:57:03

Does anyone remember Johnson on HIGNFY years ago? A complete and utter twit who may or may not have been pretending to host a games show badly. I doubt if the videos are freely available to the public anymore. It will be interesting to see him fluster and bluster through today’s PMQs!

Whitewavemark2 Wed 08-Dec-21 07:48:52

What I don’t understand is, when did it become OK to lie?

Lie to parliament.

Lie to the Nation.

Lie on the radio and television.

It is like an unstoppable flood.

Juliet27 Wed 08-Dec-21 07:45:09

JaneJudge

I can't believe he told us all we had to lose weight! I have been wondering who he reminds me of and it's Marjorie Dawes

Ah yes, I see what you mean.
You also reminded me of the nursery rhyme ‘Seesaw Marjorie Daw, Johnny shall have a new master’
We certainly need one!!

vegansrock Wed 08-Dec-21 07:38:34

Sickening thing is, we are paying this bunch of tossers.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 08-Dec-21 07:36:49

I am beginning to wonder about what we don’t know.

gangy5 Wed 08-Dec-21 07:30:59

After yesterdays revelations re the No 10 party and the Afghanistan withdrawal, I now, regrettably have to admit that Boris was a bad choice for PM. Naively I thought that he would be a breath of fresh air and would introduce some radical and effective ideas. Operations behind the door of no. 10 have seemingly gone to pot and appear to be totally disorganised. The appointment of dud heads of department haven't helped - Gavin Williamson, Dominic Raab and Matt Hancock. The one good thing that might have happened if Dominic Cummings had remained would have been a timely shake up of the Civil Service.

paddyann54 Tue 07-Dec-21 23:43:21

Like most of my country my motto is never trust a Tory ,thats why they haven't returned a majority here since the mid 1950's .After saying that the present batch seem even worse than all the previous ones with Bojo and his circus taking the prize for liars ,cheats and crooks .The "government" who takes £20 off the poorest and hands billions to their dodgy mates .Not for me ,I am surprised they get any votes though my husbands cousin in the North of England is convinced he's doing a GREAT JOB !! Maybe she needs help.

growstuff Tue 07-Dec-21 21:25:41

twiglet77

I really detest the ever-present smirk when Boris Johnson is talking on camera. When he is barely suppressing a giggle he looks quite incapable of taking anything seriously, so how can he expect the electorate to do so?

His lies are innumerable, he won't change - but what's the alternative? They're all rotten.

There are a number of alternatives.

twiglet77 Tue 07-Dec-21 21:19:14

I really detest the ever-present smirk when Boris Johnson is talking on camera. When he is barely suppressing a giggle he looks quite incapable of taking anything seriously, so how can he expect the electorate to do so?

His lies are innumerable, he won't change - but what's the alternative? They're all rotten.

JaneJudge Tue 07-Dec-21 21:11:54

theworriedwell Tue 07-Dec-21 21:07:14

Alegrias1

Now I know its not nice to make fun of people because of how they look, but sometimes its worth making an exception.

Here's Johnson lying about being a policeman and about his ability to get himself dressed in the morning.

Most people tend to look better in uniform, well my experience, but he really does disprove the rule.

Kali2 Tue 07-Dec-21 20:39:28

MissAdventure

I do believe he went to peppa pig world.

Actually I am not sure at all about it.

JaneJudge Tue 07-Dec-21 20:01:43

or at least distant cousins and relatives. Especially boaty fucker Grandad

JaneJudge Tue 07-Dec-21 20:01:15

MissAdventure

I believe they may been ancestors who he'd found on ancestry.com

MissAdventure Tue 07-Dec-21 19:55:54

Grannynannywanny Tue 07-Dec-21 19:38:41

youtu.be/4Ofkm48nv_k

Lucca Tue 07-Dec-21 18:09:04

Alegrias1

Now I know its not nice to make fun of people because of how they look, but sometimes its worth making an exception.

Here's Johnson lying about being a policeman and about his ability to get himself dressed in the morning.

Jed mercurio, creator of Line of Duty, wrote on Twitter that he thanked the PM for submitting his audition for the next series of Line of Duty before adding “but we’re looking for a character with at least one redeeming moral principle and a performance that places even a scintilla of doubt in the audience’s mind that he might not be totally bent”

Dinahmo Tue 07-Dec-21 14:23:48

Ange27 I've just reread your first post. It doesn't help your cause that the only lie you use as an example is WMDs. That was nearly 20 years ago and there have been many, many lies since then.

Jackiest Tue 07-Dec-21 10:51:00

Not all MPs are the same and I have taken quite a liking to Zarah Sultana after she refused to withdraw calling certain Conservatives Dodgy.

varian Tue 07-Dec-21 10:39:21

MaizieD

Hetty58

It's the 'bare faced' quality of the lies that surprises me. There's no subtlety, no disguise - and no apologies.

Why should there be? He's PM with a big majority and does what he pleases. He's completely indifferent to the effects of his lies. Why bother with apologies?

Not only does our undemocratic FPTP electoral system give a huge majority to a party which is opposed by the majority of voters, it allows MPs in "safe seats" to show utter contempt for their constituents and that has been very clearly demonstrated by the second jobs scandal.

If we cannot achieve electoral reform and transform the UK into a democracy, we run the risk of having another authoritarian PM even worse than Johnson- and I dread to think what the result could be.

www.electoral-reform.org.uk/we-must-end-the-link-between-safe-seats-and-second-jobs/

glammanana Tue 07-Dec-21 10:29:28

He would have gained more respect if he travelled past Liverpool and went up to the NE and gave support to the people who have been with out services for the last 10 days.
Somehow I can't imagine him up a pole in a hard hat & florescent jacket

MaizieD Tue 07-Dec-21 10:05:17

Hetty58

It's the 'bare faced' quality of the lies that surprises me. There's no subtlety, no disguise - and no apologies.

Why should there be? He's PM with a big majority and does what he pleases. He's completely indifferent to the effects of his lies. Why bother with apologies?

MaizieD Tue 07-Dec-21 10:02:56

I'm not sure what statement Lincslass is suggesting would fall foul of the slander laws. It certainly can't be the statement that Johnson is a liar. There would be writs flying in all directions if it was truly slanderous. But Johnson hasn't sued anyone, presumably because he knows they're telling the truth...

Dawn Butler said in in the Commons chamber and Ian Blackford said it more recently n the same place, albeit in a slightly more carefully worded fashion. Is he suing them?