Gransnet forums

News & politics

Former Conservative MP raped his wife, family court finds

(39 Posts)
Iam64 Fri 10-Dec-21 17:41:37

A family court judge found, on the balance of probabilities, that Andrew Griffiths raped, physically assaulted and coercively controlled his wife. The matter was before the Court because of his application for direct contact to a child.

He resigned as a minister in July 2018, after media reports he had sent ‘depraved’ messages to two women constituents. His ex wife asked for findings to be made. These weren’t made public at the time, November 2020. Subsequently, journalists made an application that the public interest would be served if the findings were made public, it succeeded.
Mr Griffiths appealed, it was dismissed by three appeal Judges last Friday.

Galaxy Fri 10-Dec-21 18:23:36

I cant say how much I admire her, she has been incredibly brave. There is nothing I want to say about him.

Granniesunite Fri 10-Dec-21 18:31:15

Thank you to that judge.

M0nica Fri 10-Dec-21 18:42:50

Why is his involvement in politics relevant? Are you suggesting that Conservative MPs rape their wives and MPs from others parties do not? Could you prove that?

Man abuses wife, is, sadly hardly news these days. It will only be news when it is a rare event. It doesn't make any difference whether he is a Minister of state, a minister of religion or a navvy.

I am sure you are not trying to make a rather unpleasant political point of dubious validity.

Mollygo Fri 10-Dec-21 21:20:42

Agreed M0nica.
It’s a dreadful crime whoever commits it, and I don’t blame his wife for wanting it to be made public. If you search rape, linked with any political party you will find accusations about MPs. I don’t feel the need to announce their political affiliation when commenting on the crime.

Lucca Fri 10-Dec-21 21:27:12

Iam64 was not making any political point for goodness sake. She was merely identifying him.

welbeck Fri 10-Dec-21 21:33:58

yes, it was reported like that in all the newspapers, probably so that we will know who they are talking about, and the reasons why he had to stand down, the depraved messages to women constituents.
otherwise we would not know that it is the same person, as his name is very common, and so unfortunately is the behaviour.
unfair to accuse the OP of anything.

M0nica Fri 10-Dec-21 22:33:36

But would the OP have started a thread about this specific marital abuser if he hadn't once been a Conservative MP but a bus driver or accountant?

Whitewavemark2 Fri 10-Dec-21 22:34:59

M0nica

But would the OP have started a thread about this specific marital abuser if he hadn't once been a Conservative MP but a bus driver or accountant?

Oh dear

Whitewavemark2 Fri 10-Dec-21 22:44:44

Headlines on bbc site “Ex-Tory minister found to have raped wife”

It then goes on to outline the issue.

Griffiths identified because it is of public interest.

Gwyneth Fri 10-Dec-21 22:53:24

Here we go again!! Yes I agree Monica . What this man has done is despicable but his politics is irrelevant.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 10-Dec-21 23:04:32

Gwyneth

Here we go again!! Yes I agree Monica . What this man has done is despicable but his politics is irrelevant.

You are perfectly entitled to hold that view, but the high court disagrees and has judged that it is in the public interest that there should be full disclosure.

I agree.

Gwyneth Fri 10-Dec-21 23:07:09

Thank you whitewave that’s very gracious of you.

Galaxy Sat 11-Dec-21 00:27:04

Would anyone like to hazard a guess as to the job of his wife before they start making accusations about why this was posted.
Iam64 has consistently discussed Male violence against women on this forum, informed by her work in the real world in this area. If posters don't understand that they really havent been paying attention.

M0nica Sat 11-Dec-21 01:05:07

Whitewave I am not arguing against what happened in court or the judges decision. I am questioning why the OP felt it necessary to start a thread on GN about this case and word it in the way she did.

It is not a hidden case. It is on all the media and in the newspapers, she did not pick one element of it that concerned her because it told too much/too little. She just produced a summary of what was well inthe public eye. It read as if she picked itup because he was a Conservative MP.

I am no conservative supporter. I would have posted the same reaction had he beenin the Labour party.

Galaxy Sat 11-Dec-21 01:12:56

Because she's a feminist and posts frequently on Male violence against women, his wife is a conservative mp.

Galaxy Sat 11-Dec-21 01:17:53

Sorry Iam64 I know you can speak for yourselfgrin.

welbeck Sat 11-Dec-21 05:36:43

the OP didn't read like that to me.
it is taking a headline from the news and commenting on it.
had it been an unknown bus driver or accountant, it is unlikely that any of us would know of it, as family court proceedings are not reported, or at least not in a way that identifies the parties.
this one was only reported because the press sought special permission to do so, and part of that reason was that he is/was a public person.
and had form for anti-women behaviour.
so maybe it serves as a warning to other women who may come across him.

Lucca Sat 11-Dec-21 06:59:08

Gwyneth

Of course butOP was NOT. Making a political point just as I said identifying the man, as per other headlines.

Very unfair attack on Iam64.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 11-Dec-21 07:07:04

Quite frankly the criticism seems like unnecessary point scoring and an irrelevance.

A former Tory MP raped his wife. He belonged to a political party that promotes (or did) family values. Who voted on domestic violence.

A persons employment is part of their identity, particularly if their employment puts them into a relative position of power.

Iam64 Sat 11-Dec-21 08:43:58

Are some posters seriously suggesting I used the media headlines, or started this discussion because I’m no fan of the current Conservative government?

I was hoping for a discussion on the significant issues raised by this case. It’s rare for a Family Court Judgement to be made public, that’s news worthy.

The Family Court Found on the balance of probability that Mr G Perpetrated rape/coercive control/physical abuse against his wife over a long period His status as an MP is relevant because of the power and influence MP’s hold. His behaviour towards two female constituents is already in the public domaine, he denied that as well. It’s, irrelevant which party he represents.
Is no one going to suggest it’s worth discussing the balance of probability v beyond reasonable doubt?

Galaxy Sat 11-Dec-21 08:55:41

I must admit that I am unclear of the legal implications of the family courts decision. Why is he not in prison? Does it now go to criminal proceedings. I have found the reporting a bit unclear or I may be being a bit dense.

Iam64 Sat 11-Dec-21 08:59:04

His wife didn’t make a report to the Police. If she had, the criminal case would have to be concluded before the Family Court concluded with Findings.
It’s not unusual for allegations of domestic abuse, including sexual abuse not to be prosecuted. Successful prosecution of rape is frighteningly rare.

Anniebach Sat 11-Dec-21 09:05:37

Headline is raped his wife. Followed by balance of probability ,

so, he probably raped his wife ?

eazybee Sat 11-Dec-21 09:18:13

Because she's a feminist and posts frequently on Male violence against women, his wife is a conservative mp.
I am being pedantic here, but it matters.

The interpretation of the sentence is that the former Mrs. Griffiths is a Conservative MP because she is a feminist and posts frequently on male violence.
I don't think that was the intended meaning.