Gransnet forums

News & politics

Hogmanay Party at Sturgeon's ???

(115 Posts)
Maudi Fri 24-Dec-21 08:41:26

Hogmanay party at Sturgeon's house!': Man, 33, is arrested after 2,000 people sign up on Facebook to attend New Year's Eve bash at First Minister's home - amid backlash over her new Covid curbs (Daily Mail today) ?

Galaxy Mon 27-Dec-21 21:00:48

With respect Calistemon I dont think you get it. This person was never going to do this joke without the address. It's a really common form of intimidation on the internet particularly aimed towards women. Its textbook stuff. Boring if it wasnt so dangerous.

Calistemon Mon 27-Dec-21 21:10:53

Yes, I get it absolutely, Galaxy

As I said, a jokey comment is one thing but this person was not making a joke and it had sinister intentions.

Galaxy Mon 27-Dec-21 21:13:50

Sorry I am going on a bit Callistemon grin. The thread hit a nerve but I am drinking wine now wine

Aveline Mon 27-Dec-21 21:30:54

If her official residence -Bute house- was suggested as a venue that might have been slightly more acceptable but not her private address.

Calistemon Mon 27-Dec-21 21:31:30

It's ok Galaxy ?

I do think a flippant remark could have been funny, but this was stalking and intimidation.

Ro60 Mon 27-Dec-21 23:09:03

Happy Birthday Alegrias1 - I've just discovered. ? Hope you had / are having a great day.

Maudi Tue 28-Dec-21 08:26:45

I'm sure if the party invite had been for Dominic Cummings, Nigel Farage or a Brexiteer some posting on here would have thought it was so funny, but because it was about Sturgeon the SNP diehards couldn't take it, well ain't that the truth ?

Grannynannywanny Tue 28-Dec-21 09:09:28

Maudi

I'm sure if the party invite had been for Dominic Cummings, Nigel Farage or a Brexiteer some posting on here would have thought it was so funny, but because it was about Sturgeon the SNP diehards couldn't take it, well ain't that the truth

Are you seriously still saying you think that publishing a politician’s private home address online was just a jolly jape? There are now 5 pages of posters who disagree with you and I think I can safely say we are not all “SNP diehards” as you describe.

Marydoll Tue 28-Dec-21 09:31:48

Maudi

I'm sure if the party invite had been for Dominic Cummings, Nigel Farage or a Brexiteer some posting on here would have thought it was so funny, but because it was about Sturgeon the SNP diehards couldn't take it, well ain't that the truth ?

Well I'm Scottish and certainly not an SNP diehard.
To whomever a joke like that is directed, it is certainly not funny, in fact it is quite dangerous.

Galaxy Tue 28-Dec-21 09:43:41

Maudi your understanding of the motivation of many on this thread is painfully inaccurate. I dont think you grasp the issues at all.

Maudi Tue 28-Dec-21 10:04:58

I have already stated up thread it was wrong to publish a private address.

Anyway Happy New Year, hope 2022 will be better than 2021 in many ways and everyone remains healthy and enjoy happy times with their loved ones ???

Blossoming Tue 28-Dec-21 10:06:36

Maudi When you’re in a hole stop digging.

FarNorth Tue 28-Dec-21 12:03:42

I have already stated up thread it was wrong to publish a private address.
So why come back with a ridiculous accusation about what others might think was funny?
Put down the spade, indeed.

Lucca Tue 28-Dec-21 12:31:19

Well I disagree with Maudi strongly and how would I be an SNP diehard ? I’m not even Scottish !