Gransnet forums

News & politics

Djokovic’s visa cancelled again

(113 Posts)
Esspee Fri 14-Jan-22 07:10:52

Australia intends to deport him.

Thoughts?

Boz Fri 14-Jan-22 10:25:50

As he is due on Court Monday, I don't see how any appeal would work. It was said the Aussie Gov, would leave it to the last minute to foil the usual legal shenanigans from team Novax.

Gwyneth Fri 14-Jan-22 10:37:14

I really hope this will be the case Boz and he does not play. Better still it would be great if Nadal won the Australian Open and overtook him on the number of titles won. Trying not to be mean but can’t help it!!!

LauraNorderr Fri 14-Jan-22 10:44:28

The Australian government are at match point but it won’t be game, set and match until the plane lifts off with Djokovic on it.

maddyone Fri 14-Jan-22 10:51:49

I agree with both your posts Gwyneth.

Kali2 Fri 14-Jan-22 10:54:13

He is an amazing player and I have nothing against him. However, this is the right decision. He has deliberately tried to circumvent the rules- and I can well imagine him saying to his administrative team' do what you have to do and we will pretend it was all a mistake and get away with it'.

The OZ Governement is totally right in saying 'rules are rules- for all, irrespective (unlike you know who). It will serve as an example for others.

Grandmadinosaur Fri 14-Jan-22 11:01:27

Kim19

Wish they had turned him around and sent him packing on day one of his arrival but now I think they're stringing this out to make time for an appeal impossible.

I think so too. Such an arrogant man.

Spice101 Fri 14-Jan-22 11:20:48

His team are intending to lodge an appeal tonight and have requested that the Government lodge theirs by 10pm Saturday. Novax wants the case heard and decided on by Sunday.
Funny how so many cases take months or years to be heard but he can get his in court within hours!

The judge hearing the case is the same one who overturned to original decision.

Franbern I do think the Government looks bad, not because of what they have done but because of the way it has been done.

rafichagran Fri 14-Jan-22 11:30:20

Good.

Kalu Fri 14-Jan-22 11:33:41

Good for Australia. That will hopefully burst his huge ego bubble. Another one who thinks he is above the rules. ?

maddyone Fri 14-Jan-22 12:06:03

The judge hearing his case is the same one who overturned the original decision.

Mmmmm, that doesn’t bode well.

humptydumpty Fri 14-Jan-22 12:26:12

It would be so much better for all concerned if he would gracefully acknowledge his mistakes and leave the country of his own accord.

Lucca Fri 14-Jan-22 12:30:04

LauraNorderr

The Australian government are at match point but it won’t be game, set and match until the plane lifts off with Djokovic on it.

I think there’ll be a let….

Yiayia70 Fri 14-Jan-22 12:30:12

Absolutely the right thing to do, who the hell does he think he is.

Oldbat1 Fri 14-Jan-22 13:28:19

He should be deported for a variety of reasons - lying on original visa, attending public events whilst testing positive, for going to Spain but saying he hadn’t travelled anywhere. Arrogant. Full of own self importance. No sympathy for him.

Daisend1 Fri 14-Jan-22 13:36:40

Good on you Ausies.

Sarnia Sat 15-Jan-22 08:01:08

Whether he is deported or not all this circus has done is to make him the poster boy for the anti-vax brigade.

Authoress Sat 15-Jan-22 10:32:46

No patience at all with no-vax. I think the Australians are right to chuck him out.

Youcantchoosethem Sat 15-Jan-22 10:45:40

Good on Australia! @Spice101 I think the world can see that the Australians are happy to stand up for their principles. I certainly don’t think it puts the country in a bad light - quite the opposite! I wish our UK government didn’t give in to the rich and famous rather than take the high ground and stick up for rights and principals!

Suze56 Sat 15-Jan-22 10:48:56

I do not hve not have an issue with this.
- Not vaccinated
- Broke isolation when he is supposed to have tested positive
- Incorrect information on his visa.
Alo don't think it's an issue the same judge is hearing it - the previous decision was based on procedural issue not the merits of him being allowed into he country or not.

westendgirl Sat 15-Jan-22 10:50:09

I believe the case is to be heard by a team of 3 judges, not just the one.

SylviaPlathssister Sat 15-Jan-22 10:54:06

I don’t think it makes the Aussie Government look bad. Get rid of him. These spoilt kids get on my nerves. Our Government with the highest death rate in Europe should have taken lessons.

Theoddbird Sat 15-Jan-22 10:56:12

And so he should be.

Yve1 Sat 15-Jan-22 10:58:29

The rules in Australia were the same last year but he was allowed in and subsequently won the championship. How did that happen, as he obviously wasn’t vaccinated then? More untruths on the visa application 2021?

Calistemon Sat 15-Jan-22 11:00:31

Yiayia70

Absolutely the right thing to do, who the hell does he think he is.

The Serbs seem to think he's God!
Above the rules made by mere mortals.

What annoys me more is the fact that he supposedly tested positive for Covid then mixed with a lot of other people and got away with ignoring rules then, presumably spreading the virus to man people.

Calistemon Sat 15-Jan-22 11:00:54

many people