Esspee Fri 14-Jan-22 07:10:52

Australia intends to deport him.

Thoughts?

Alegrias1 Sat 15-Jan-22 13:29:06

Lucca ?

Lucca Sat 15-Jan-22 13:31:11

maddyone

GrannyGravy13

I am wondering what will happen at the next three slams will he be allowed entry into France, U.K. or the USA if he remains unvaccinated?

I’m assuming that if his PCR shows negative after two days (and do the unvaccinated need to take a second test after a few more days?) that he’ll be allowed in and to play.
Personally I think he’s shown a great lack of sportsmanship in all this and I’d be quite happy if he was banned from all grand slams for a period of time.

Apparently he will be allowed into the French open. I think I read it in the Times

cc Sat 15-Jan-22 14:55:58

I imagine he'll be keen bot to be actually deported because in that case he may not be admitted in future.

cc Sat 15-Jan-22 14:57:41

Sorry, typo "keen NOT to be deported..."

Clevedon Sat 15-Jan-22 15:47:05

Good. I like him but if he doesn't want to get vaccinated then tough!

sandelf Sat 15-Jan-22 15:55:05

Lucca

LauraNorderr

The Australian government are at match point but it won’t be game, set and match until the plane lifts off with Djokovic on it.

I think there’ll be a let….

Oh you did make me laugh. What none of us understand is that these silly rules are not made for demi-Gods...

LesLee7 Sat 15-Jan-22 17:12:53

They shouldn't have let it play out so long. Glad they are enforcing it at last, why should he be treated differently to anyone else wanting to travel there (and anywhere for that matter) now the other things are coming out about him mixing when he'd tested positive and travelled prior to his trip which his staff?? didn't put on the form - can he not even fill in his own forms or at least check for accuracy before submitting. I don't think it was a political stance he was so arrogant as to believe he could get away with it and what sign would that have sent out to other anti vaxxers - when (hopefully) I travel again I want to know airlines etc are helping me keep safe by ensuring everyone is vaccinated (yes I know it doesn't always stop you catching it) but you have a better chance. Just like I wouldn't be happy if I was in hospital being treated by un vaccinated staff but of course at the moment you don't know..
Years ago I went to Turkey and had to have Typhoid ? injection (I think) which hurt like hell but if I didn't have it couldn't go on the holiday - simples..

Frankie51 Sat 15-Jan-22 19:08:21

Other sports people have been refused entry for similar reasons. He's not above the law, not "special". I think he's behaving in an arrogant way, even if he is the best tennis player in the world.

kevincharley Sat 15-Jan-22 23:53:49

Good for Australia. I think it's great that they're sticking to their policy.
I'm still chuckling that a man named Novak has refused vaccinations.

FannyCornforth Sun 16-Jan-22 06:36:56

Final decision at 6.45am

FannyCornforth Sun 16-Jan-22 06:55:00

I’m listening to the judge now.
Can’t make head nor tail of it…confused

FannyCornforth Sun 16-Jan-22 06:57:17

Apparently he’s lost his appeal

Urmstongran Sun 16-Jan-22 06:58:24

About to be deported it seems.

nanna8 Sun 16-Jan-22 07:01:05

He’s lost his appeal. Quite right,too. He shouldn’t have been allowed in in the first place.

JenniferEccles Sun 16-Jan-22 08:54:53

Australia has endured some of the harshest lockdown restrictions in the world so it would have been so unfair to have allowed the unvaccinated Djokovic permission to play.

So pleased this arrogant man is finally being deported.

Tell you what Djokovic. Spend the time when you get home having your vaccines and you will then avoid putting other countries to all this trouble.

Shropshirelass Sun 16-Jan-22 09:59:52

Good, just a shame it has taken so long! There are no exceptions to the rules. Will he be allowed in next year? After deportation Australian rules state that they will not be allowed in for three years I understand? In this case he won’t, depends on the virus situation anyway so who knows.

maddyone Sun 16-Jan-22 10:05:33

I’m very pleased with this decision. He’s tried to play the Australians for fools, but they weren’t having it. Well done Australia.
He’s released a statement saying that he’s uncomfortable that the focus of the last week has been on him. Well he made it all about him didn’t he!

Mamma66 Sun 16-Jan-22 10:09:46

They interviewed an Australian politician yesterday on Breakfast News (possibly a previous Prime Minister). He was refreshingly pragmatic. He said that the real issue was not that Djokovic refused to have a vaccine, but that he refused to have a vaccine AND also was not prepared to quarantine, which would have allowed him to compete without being compelled to have the vaccine. He wanted an exception to be made. The politician said, “regardless of whether you like them or not, we all have to abide by the rules. He should be exactly the same.” Simples in my book…

Pammie1 Sun 16-Jan-22 11:48:04

Saw the decision on BBC Breakfast at 7am. I think the Australian authorities could have handled it better, but I think the decision is the right one. He was massively entitled from the word go. He didn’t want the vaccine but he also clearly didn’t want to quarantine either, and admitting that he’s previously flouted quarantine rules after testing positive won’t have helped. For me it’s very telling that he was voicing concern at the Australian quarantine rules quite a while ago, and this has been an attempt to circumvent those rules. It backfired and now he’s faced with a potential three year ban. Anyone fancy his chances next year ?

Pammie1 Sun 16-Jan-22 11:51:37

maddyone

I’m very pleased with this decision. He’s tried to play the Australians for fools, but they weren’t having it. Well done Australia.
He’s released a statement saying that he’s uncomfortable that the focus of the last week has been on him. Well he made it all about him didn’t he!

I agree. I feel sorry for the other players - the focus should have been on them and the build up to the start of the tournament. Instead this has overshadowed things, and I suspect will continue to do so. Whoever wins, there will always be those who think it was only because he didn’t play !!

Juliet27 Sun 16-Jan-22 11:55:22

Just watched his flight take off on Flightradar 24

Shelflife Sun 16-Jan-22 12:04:22

Good!!

Esspee Sun 16-Jan-22 12:07:59

As I said on a previous thread - It couldn’t have happened to a nicer guy! ?

Calistemon Sun 16-Jan-22 12:10:05

The right decision but seen on Twitter:

"Is Djokovic the only sportsman to be banned from a competition for not taking drugs?"

tickingbird Sun 16-Jan-22 12:21:13

As an ardent tennis fan I think it’s a shame that this fiasco was allowed to play out. I’m not a fan of Djokovic but he’s a supreme tennis player and the AO will be worse off without him.

However, it’s obvious someone at the Australian end gave him the go ahead to enter and play. I find it highly unlikely he just travelled all that way just assuming he’d be let in. It’s left a blight on the AO and definitely diminished the Aus government.