Gransnet forums

News & politics

Can the EU do well without trade with the UK?

(104 Posts)
Kali2 Sat 15-Jan-22 12:58:03

It would hurt, quite a lot. But then they could just adjust and forget about the UK and do very well selling and buying from each other, with Schengen, no borders, no paperwork, and with no tariffs- and a great variety of conditions and climates within to provide all they need. And labour too. What do you think?

And could of course control everything and everyone that comes in or out of UK.

Kali2 Thu 20-Jan-22 15:07:47

Sorry to bore you Maudi. Are you denying that the European countries have a vast variety of climates and growing conditions? And no borders?

Maudi Thu 20-Jan-22 15:05:22

?

Kali2 Thu 20-Jan-22 13:12:35

At least in Europe they have a huge choice, buying and selling to each other. Same for so many goods, as the European climates are very varied- so again, can buy fruit and veg, etc, which need very specific climate conditions to grow. Same for wine, cheeses, etc, etc, etc. They will never be short of choice even if they just stick to each other. And no borders, thanks to Schengen, easy, peasy.

Dinahmo Thu 20-Jan-22 13:10:16

I think it depends upon where you live. Hard water tastes very different to soft water.

Bossyrossy Thu 20-Jan-22 09:36:45

I don’t understand why the British buy still water when the stuff that comes out of our taps is of excellent quality. But I can’t get sparkling water out of my taps, so I buy bottled, or at least try to. But, like wine, different brands have different tastes and I would like the freedom to buy the one I like best, which is a European brand and I can’t get it anymore.

Dinahmo Thu 20-Jan-22 06:40:57

Alegrias1

Silicon.

Silicone is something else entirely. confused

Thank you. Brain and fingers are disconnected at the moment.
(I do know the difference) by the way

Kali2 Wed 19-Jan-22 21:19:07

Ah thanks for clarifying. Yes, indeed, certainly most European countries have excellent tap water, and also other 'bottled' waters- linked to all the mountains and old volcanic areas. No need for bottled water here, but plenty available if wanted (why??? but ...)

halfpint1 Wed 19-Jan-22 20:53:50

Kali 2 read the post above mine from Allsorts

I meant, what countries in Europe can't provide clean water
in their taps, think France left the 'non potable' water many
years ago. I live in the Volvic region so no problem with
my tap water for sure.

Alegrias1 Wed 19-Jan-22 20:48:06

Allsorts

Alegrias, you drive on our roads, use our hospitals, use our shops, public houses,. Etc. the list goes on. yet none of us are your neighbours? . No one is telling you what to do. I happen to be proud to live in the UK and support it. I dare say those that live in their countries, Germany, Holland and so forth feel the same about where they live. I think on tge whole we all get on. You earn your wages and are free to you choose what to buy and from where.

What a bizarre post.

Incidentally, Holland isn't a country.

Casdon Wed 19-Jan-22 20:17:05

Allsorts what do you mean? We live in Europe?

Allsorts Wed 19-Jan-22 20:03:46

Alegrias, you drive on our roads, use our hospitals, use our shops, public houses,. Etc. the list goes on. yet none of us are your neighbours? . No one is telling you what to do. I happen to be proud to live in the UK and support it. I dare say those that live in their countries, Germany, Holland and so forth feel the same about where they live. I think on tge whole we all get on. You earn your wages and are free to you choose what to buy and from where.

MerylStreep Wed 19-Jan-22 19:41:31

Dinahmo
As of last August the lowest sales for 20 years.

Alegrias1 Wed 19-Jan-22 19:33:11

Silicon.

Silicone is something else entirely. confused

Dinahmo Wed 19-Jan-22 17:11:33

MerylStreep

Dinahmo
The stall in the German car sales has nothing to do with Brexit or the pandemic: it’s the shortage of silicone chips. It’s worldwide.

I didn't know there was a stall in German car sales. My inference really was that the Germans probably don't need the UK market that much.

MerylStreep Wed 19-Jan-22 17:07:58

Dinahmo
The stall in the German car sales has nothing to do with Brexit or the pandemic: it’s the shortage of silicone chips. It’s worldwide.

silverlining48 Wed 19-Jan-22 16:36:00

Only recently started buying fizzy water in summer to add elderflower cordial to. Very refreshing if served on ice. Otherwise it’s Tap water every time, unless I am in Germany where I have always had to argue the point with the waiter who will have refused point blank ( til I argue back). Grrr.

Kali2 Wed 19-Jan-22 16:29:13

halfpint1

Allsorts , it makes me wonder how many countries in Europe can't do that.

Sorry halfpin1- what do you mean by the above comment. I am confused, Can't do what.

As for bottled water- totally agree. Never ever buy bottled water, from anywhere.

silverlining48 Wed 19-Jan-22 16:25:34

I have also found it hard to understand why would ex pats living in Europe vote to leave. There are a number of retired people dh worked with who despite living in the sunshine, nearly all voted fir Brexit. Being a remainer here in the greyness, that rather pee’d me off, still does, sorry but it does.

As for cars, they have market leading cars with the world out there so am sure that Germany is not relying on us. Why would they.

Dinahmo Wed 19-Jan-22 14:43:52

Before covid whenever we went to an event where there were other Brits there were one or two voices who could be heard loudly saying that the Germans would bend over backwards to make sure that they could sell their cars in the UK because it was such a large market. I'm not aware that this has happened - has it?

In my village there are less than 20 Brits living here but there has recently been a division between the Remainers and the Leavers. At first everybody was civil but last summer it became rather fraught, to say the least. One couple accused another couple of being traitors because they had taken French nationality. The second couple had live and worked here for 25 years.

Some of the French were a little pissed off because, as one said to me - they come over here, talk about the size of their house and how much land they have and then want to leave the EU. I sometimes think that they don't realise how insulting that can be to their French neighbours and (former) French friends.

MaizieD Wed 19-Jan-22 14:33:30

Alegrias1

^Buy British everything if you can and help your neighbours.^

I'll buy what I like, thanks, not what you tell me to. My neighbours are the Europeans.

?

Alegrias1 Wed 19-Jan-22 14:22:29

Buy British everything if you can and help your neighbours.

I'll buy what I like, thanks, not what you tell me to. My neighbours are the Europeans.

halfpint1 Wed 19-Jan-22 14:17:48

Allsorts , it makes me wonder how many countries in Europe can't do that.

Allsorts Wed 19-Jan-22 13:49:09

Why would anyone buy water from abroad, we have beautiful water here from the tap and bottled sparkling or still. How many countries can do that. If you don’t like the taste I would add lemon or lime slices and ice. Buy British everything if you can and help your neighbours. Our water is safe to drink from the tap, I am in a hard water area, leave a jug in the fridge overnight. Tastes fine.

Welshwife Wed 19-Jan-22 13:42:46

It is great about the Cornish fishermen and I understood that much of their catch was now being sold locally. The fishermen have worked hard to retain markets. I saw one chap interviewed who mentioned about sending a load to Europe and it was getting there fast. I wondered how they were doing this as they were very worried about shipments being delayed at borders, a couple of days ago another interview with an exporter and he was sending his catch live in big tanks - a good solution by the sounds of it.
The reports from the East coast about the sea having no living creatures in the sea is very worrying. Has anyone seen any reason why they think this may be happening ? - is it connected to effluent being dumped or anything? It sounds as if it is widespread and not good for anyone.

grandtanteJE65 Wed 19-Jan-22 13:13:10

Speaking as a Danish citizen who lives in Denmark, I can tell you that while Brexit was in the offing, all the big firms that exported mainly or at least a great deal of their produce to the UK wonder too whether we could do without British trade.

Public money went into employing more Customs staff to deal with whatever regulations would come to govern trade with the UK and ports were extended, particularly Esbjerg to deal with container lorries heading to or from Britain needing in future to be in the Customs' area longer.

We didn't need to have worried - we can sell all the bacon and other pork products we want to other countries and our dairy produce is being sold increasingly to Germany.

There is also butter being sold cheaper here than it was before - we have for years payed twice what the British did for our own butter because Britain imported so much from us and subsidised imports.

So yes, we are managing nicely without you, thank you, and I believe the same can be said of the rest of the EU.

And we are still importing British goods too. I bought a new bottle of Lea & Perrins Worcester sauce last week. Not that that will help the British econmony in the slightest , as the last bottle lasted six years or so.