Gransnet forums

News & politics

Wonderful News - No more face masks

(285 Posts)
LilacChaser Wed 19-Jan-22 13:35:32

That's made my day! I'm delighted and relieved.

At last, some sense from the government. Roll on 26th Jan.

Esspee Wed 19-Jan-22 14:10:27

I don’t wear my mask to protect me OP and if you don’t wear a mask you are saying to me you don’t care about the vulnerable.

Boris is doing this to try to boost his popularity which is now at rock bottom. He is unconcerned that infection rates are exceptionally high. The stats now are skewed by positive LFT individuals not being given a PCR test. It is a faff reporting your LFT result so many don’t bother therefore positive case reports drop dramatically.

Listen to people, covid is rife at the moment regardless of the official stats. If you are inside with other people wear a mask to protect others.

LilacChaser Wed 19-Jan-22 14:20:20

Petera - my sources are from the same places as everybody else - yes, the internet as well as statistical reports, scientific reports, observation, personal anecdote, news reports, etc, etc. Lucca, you obviously haven't been looking at both sides of the argument, very remiss of you.

Here are just some for a start: swprs.org/face-masks-evidence/

Yes, MerylStreep, it should be a matter of personal choice but I do wonder why people feel safer wearing them.

LilacChaser Wed 19-Jan-22 14:22:16

Espee, of course I care about the vulnerable, but wearing a facemask is not the way to protect them.

And, yes, it is a faff reporting test results, so I've given up reporting my negative results.

Nandalot Wed 19-Jan-22 14:24:21

Esspee, you beat me to it. I don’t think case numbers are accurate any more,
438 deaths yesterday. That doesn’t seem to show any let up on the part of the virus.
I shall wear a mask still but wearing a mask protects others so I wish others would have too do the same,

JenniferEccles Wed 19-Jan-22 14:29:43

It was always on the cards that certain restrictions would be lifted once the figures concerning the virus showed that it could happen.

Before mask wearing became compulsory in indoor venues, people could chose to wear them or not, so the same thing will apply now.

I will probably continue with it in supermarkets but it will certainly be a relief not to have the performance of having to put a mask on to walk into a restaurant, take it off once seated and eating, get halfway to the loo only to realise I have forgotten to put the blasted thing on again!

This lifting of restrictions is a positive sign that we are heading in the right direction.

The doomsters of course will not be happy at all!

MaizieD Wed 19-Jan-22 14:30:06

I can google too

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_Policy_Research

MaizieD Wed 19-Jan-22 14:31:50

I will probably continue with it in supermarkets but it will certainly be a relief not to have the performance of having to put a mask on to walk into a restaurant, take it off once seated and eating, get halfway to the loo only to realise I have forgotten to put the blasted thing on again!

I quite agree with you, JE. It's absurd.

That's why I'm not going to restaurants.

snowberryZ Wed 19-Jan-22 14:33:25

I'm going to continue to wear mine on public transport and very crowded areas. People are disgusting, especially in winter.

I havent had a cold in over two years and it's been brilliant!
They've been wearing masks in some Asian countries for years. Its seen as polite and considerate to wear a mask if you have a cold.

And I'm in no way germ phobic. If I drop food on the floor, I'll pick it up, dust it off and eat it
But there's no way am I going back to having people cough, sneeze and snivelling over me, which is what's happened in bygone winters.

snowberryZ Wed 19-Jan-22 14:35:14

Dinahmo

4 years ago, before covid I was sitting on a plane with a woman next but one to me, empty seat in between, who spent the whole time coughing and spluttering. The next day I felt my chest tightening and I was heading for a bout of bronchitis which lasted 3 weeks and 2 bouts of antibiotics. This is why we should continue to wear masks on public transport.

Just remember all the colds that spread through offices and the people who came into work looking sometimes like death warmed up.

I agree.

aonk Wed 19-Jan-22 14:39:14

I welcome the fact that secondary school children will no longer have to wear masks. I know that many of them struggle for all kinds of reasons. I’m not happy that masks won’t be required in other places and will continue to wear mine. When I stop it will be my decision and not the Government’s.

Lucca Wed 19-Jan-22 14:47:59

lucca , you obviously haven't been looking at both sides of the argument, very remiss of you

Yes I have, and have reached my conclusion that masks help the spread of infection.

LilacChaser Wed 19-Jan-22 14:51:46

Lucca
Yes I have, and have reached my conclusion that masks help the spread of infection.

You never said a truer word!

PernillaVanilla Wed 19-Jan-22 14:54:58

I shall be ditching mine on the 26th. I've had my booster, am very fit and healthy and those of my colleagues who have had Omicron have not had symptoms, just picked up by routine testing at work. I have not been going into shops since masks were made mandatory again and am very much looking forward to being able to shop for clothes without fogged up glasses and a strange irritated feeling.

Petera Wed 19-Jan-22 15:08:14

LilacChaser

Petera - my sources are from the same places as everybody else - yes, the internet as well as statistical reports, scientific reports, observation, personal anecdote, news reports, etc, etc. Lucca, you obviously haven't been looking at both sides of the argument, very remiss of you.

Here are just some for a start: swprs.org/face-masks-evidence/

Yes, MerylStreep, it should be a matter of personal choice but I do wonder why people feel safer wearing them.

Ah, Swiss Propaganda Research as they are known. I believe they also, in the context of Covid, promote hydroxychloroquine.

In other areas they say that QAnon is run by the FBI.

Blondiescot Wed 19-Jan-22 15:25:17

Grannynannywanny

LilacChaser

Don't be silly, MayBee70. They don't work and it is socially irresponsible to perpetuate the myth that they in any way make people safer by wearing them

Yippee, I’m off to text my daughter to let her know. She’s on a 12 hour shift in a very busy hospital and needs to wear a mask throughout her shift every day. She and her colleagues will be delighted to know they can bin them as they don’t serve any purpose.

Well said, Grannynannywanny, I will also let my nurse daughter know this, and I'm sure my friend's son, who is a virologist, will also love to know this too!

MayBee70 Wed 19-Jan-22 15:29:21

LilacChaser

*Espee*, of course I care about the vulnerable, but wearing a facemask is not the way to protect them.

And, yes, it is a faff reporting test results, so I've given up reporting my negative results.

Re the first paragraph. Can you explain why it won’t protect other people?

Josieann Wed 19-Jan-22 15:30:04

It was going to happen sooner or later so I am not surprised. I will continue to wear my mask while shopping and on the train, but I will be glad to ditch it in the theatre and in church. I never really saw the point of wearing it to enter a restaurant when I am going to take it off during service at the table anyway.
My dilemma is now to decide sensibly whether to go back to part time teaching at school after February half term or after Easter, probably the latter.

Yammy Wed 19-Jan-22 15:30:38

The mask isn't to protect you it is to stop you spreading Covid if you don't know you are positive.
After hearing in the last few weeks of quite a lot of positive people who have carried on as normal because they were not ill. Yet others who have been really poorly with the whole family affected, I hope for the safety of others the majority keep on wearing masks in public places and shops I certainly will be, until the Science matches the P.M.'s announcements.sad

EllanVannin Wed 19-Jan-22 15:34:57

First it was Brexit that got BJ the vote so now he's trying Exit. Oh dear, this isn't wise either.

Devorgilla Wed 19-Jan-22 15:36:14

I'll continue to wear mine in shops, on public transport and in crowded areas. During the winter months I find them the most efficient way to keep my nose warm and warm air going into my lungs. It's just another variation on 'scarf up in winter' for people of my age.

Daisymae Wed 19-Jan-22 15:36:37

I intend to continue to wear a mask in public while we are in the middle of a pandemic with tens of thousands of infections a day, hundreds of deaths and hospital admissions being recorded daily. I will gladly bin them when I consider it safe to do so.

Kate1949 Wed 19-Jan-22 15:43:46

I'll still be wearing mask on oubluc transport. I don't just wear it because the government tells me to. I wear it to keep myself and others safe. This virus hasn't gone away.

Gwyneth Wed 19-Jan-22 15:45:28

I’m going to carry on wearing mine in shops, indoor spaces and public transport. I think it’s too soon to stop.

TerriBull Wed 19-Jan-22 15:48:57

I shall also carry on wearing mine in public indoor spaces, to protect myself and as a courtesy to others. I also think it's too premature to drop them, we shall see how that pans out in due course.

Peartree Wed 19-Jan-22 15:51:14

Im going to keep wearing mine too.