Gransnet forums

News & politics

Has our country ever been in such a state?

(186 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Thu 20-Jan-22 10:44:31

A senior Tory now urging other Tory MPs to report to the police because it appears that they were threatened with blackmail by the government for withdrawal of funding, public shame or boundary changes.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 23-Jan-22 10:48:45

I would refer you to Baroness Warsi, I would prefer to get my understanding of the problem in the Tory party from her, rather than a supporter of Johnson trying to save his skin.

Lincslass Sun 23-Jan-22 10:32:26

Whitewavemark2

Islamaphobia in the Tory party.

Something we always knew/suspected now apparently being confirmed by a Tory MP.

Really think this Whip would say this, considering she has the premise of being right on her side, and he would know this. So why say it? Defaming and being very divisive, perhaps she was just not the right person for the role. Let’s wait and see rather than chucking racist aspersion over every Tory MP.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 23-Jan-22 09:50:22

Islamaphobia in the Tory party.

Something we always knew/suspected now apparently being confirmed by a Tory MP.

MaizieD Sun 23-Jan-22 09:44:44

Johnson was the lesser of the two evils.

Well, that turned out to be wrong, didn't it? There can't have been a more evil person than Johnson. How he fooled you all...even though people who knew him well kept on warning you...

MaizieD Sun 23-Jan-22 09:41:13

MayBee70

There’s a really interesting episode of In Our Time about the gold standard,that explains everything you need to know about currency. I’d love to say I understood it but I didn’t but some of you might! I’ll give it another go. I now realise why I gave up doing economics A level. My brain just doesn’t work in that way.

Have you got a link to that, Maybee? Or what date it was broadcast?

Lincslass Sun 23-Jan-22 07:52:39

varian

I so agree Madashell. This country is being ruined by a corrupt incompetent government voted in by a MINORITY of those who voted in 2019, but that minority vote resulted in an eighty seat majority allowing them to do whatever they wanted for the next five years. Belarus is the only other undemocratic European country. They also elect their government by FPTP and look what a state they're in.

One of the worst aspects of FPTP is the way voters feel they have to vote negatively, for the lesser of two evils, rather than positively for the party they actually want to support. No wonder voters are so cynical and feel powerless to effect real change.

Johnson was the lesser of the two evils. Corbyn lost the last election, even in my area which had voted Labour since forever. oh yes and don’t forget those who couldn’t be bothered to go out and vote.

MayBee70 Sun 23-Jan-22 00:46:42

There’s a really interesting episode of In Our Time about the gold standard,that explains everything you need to know about currency. I’d love to say I understood it but I didn’t but some of you might! I’ll give it another go. I now realise why I gave up doing economics A level. My brain just doesn’t work in that way.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 22-Jan-22 18:01:19

Oh thanks maizie I’ve just seen your post.

That’s what I meant?

Whitewavemark2 Sat 22-Jan-22 18:00:09

GrannyGravy13

Whitewavemark2

GrannyGravy13

Seek and ye shall find.

Yes weekends they are turned on because no queries then.

Not sure about that Whitewavemark2 , where did you hear this?

That should have read queues!

MaizieD Sat 22-Jan-22 17:52:58

Sorry, forgot to link to his feed

twitter.com/vanmaneuro

MaizieD Sat 22-Jan-22 17:52:12

No queries or no queues, WwMk2? grin

This guy's twitter feed is 'interesting'. He has a business couriering to the EU. Been doing it for a long time. He's been videoing the queues just about daily.

Here he is tweeting very early today:

Customs queues don’t happen on weekends-for a variety of reasons from truck bans to customs agents closed so simply unable to deliver goods on a weekend-this is the U.K. and Switzerland approaching the weekend . Expect no queues

Pam1969 Sat 22-Jan-22 17:13:04

Interesting....I wonder how much public opinion is determined by the media. I think that true facts are rare.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 22-Jan-22 15:58:26

Whitewavemark2

GrannyGravy13

Seek and ye shall find.

Not sure about that Whitewavemark2 , where did you hear this?

Whitewavemark2 Sat 22-Jan-22 15:56:13

GrannyGravy13

Seek and ye shall find.

GillT57 Sat 22-Jan-22 15:24:52

It's a wonder that Farage hasn't reported on this as he stands on the cliffs of Dover counting the dinghies full of desperate migrants. Funny that.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 22-Jan-22 13:55:42

Seek and ye shall find.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 22-Jan-22 12:52:41

One would almost think that this didn’t happen by accident.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 22-Jan-22 12:35:06

GillT57

^Try a country where you will die from lack of treatment, where babies have to pay with everyone else just to see a doctor, where the ambulance won't pick you up off the street without the right insurance and tell me we have a terrible government^. If the people of this country keep voting for Tory governments, this is exactly what we will end up with.

Yes I agree.

GillT57 Sat 22-Jan-22 12:33:35

Try a country where you will die from lack of treatment, where babies have to pay with everyone else just to see a doctor, where the ambulance won't pick you up off the street without the right insurance and tell me we have a terrible government. If the people of this country keep voting for Tory governments, this is exactly what we will end up with.

vegansrock Sat 22-Jan-22 11:15:03

Along with “we are getting on with the peoples priorities” .

Greta Sat 22-Jan-22 10:41:11

I think Johnson has created a new idiom though: "we have to wait for Sue Gray".

Whitewavemark2 Sat 22-Jan-22 10:33:32

Gray is only giving a synopsis of her findings. It will have no weight neither will it give details of the evidence she used or examined.

Her civil service boss and her political boss (Johnson) will be given the synopsis and will be able to redact anything they wish.

Parsley3 Sat 22-Jan-22 10:29:03

Kali2 We will know that he did write it by the number of jokes and Latin quotations.

Kali2 Sat 22-Jan-22 09:30:59

Does anyone know if Johnson has finished writing the report yet?

Greta Sat 22-Jan-22 09:28:46

Sazz1: Compared to other countries I think we are doing OK. Nobody is barred from shopping, or leaving the house, refugees aren't imprisoned for 10 years in hotels, we can choose to have the vaccine without huge fines, we have the NHS albeit struggling atm so nobody dies from lack of money to pay doctors and hospitals, nobody going bankrupt because of huge fines for refusing a vaccine, we have a very large percentage of vaccinated people who willingly had it, its 90% in my area. Try a country where you will die from lack of treatment, where babies have to pay with everyone else just to see a doctor, where the ambulance won't pick you up off the street without the right insurance and tell me we have a terrible government.

Which European countries are you referring to, Sazzle?