Gransnet forums

News & politics

Has our country ever been in such a state?

(185 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Thu 20-Jan-22 11:10:43

How much confidence do we have in the Met that they will investigate the blackmail?

Dear oh dear

Whitewavemark2 Thu 20-Jan-22 11:07:31

MerylStreep

I assumed it’s always been this way. I’ve never had very high expectations from the majority of MPs or those within that circle.

Good grief - my bar is set much higher and I expect those rules to be met.

MayBeMaw Thu 20-Jan-22 11:06:33

From the i - also in the link given
The Government has been accused of blackmailing MPs to ensure they continue to stand by Boris Johnson.
Senior Tory MP William Wragg, the Chairman of the Commons Public Administration Committee, has claimed whips have threatened to withdraw Government funding from rebellious MPs’ areas.
He also claims some in Government have considered leaking harmful stories to the press about rebellious MPs

Why am I saddened, angered, but not surprised ?

MerylStreep Thu 20-Jan-22 11:03:17

I assumed it’s always been this way. I’ve never had very high expectations from the majority of MPs or those within that circle.

MayBeMaw Thu 20-Jan-22 11:01:55

Whitewavemark2

Sue Gray has found the e-mail sent to Johnson by a senior civil servant to Johnson warning him not to go ahead with the party.

Peston reporting.

Gotcha moment?

Lincslass Thu 20-Jan-22 10:59:39

This is indeed very disturbing, and should be investigated.

Hetty58 Thu 20-Jan-22 10:53:07

Disturbing - but as expected, sadly:

inews.co.uk/news/politics/tory-william-wragg-government-blackmailing-mps-boris-johnson-no-confidence-rebellion-1412957

Whitewavemark2 Thu 20-Jan-22 10:51:23

Sue Gray has found the e-mail sent to Johnson by a senior civil servant to Johnson warning him not to go ahead with the party.

Peston reporting.

Casdon Thu 20-Jan-22 10:45:30

I’ve just read that story on ITV news. If it is true it’s appalling.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 20-Jan-22 10:44:31

A senior Tory now urging other Tory MPs to report to the police because it appears that they were threatened with blackmail by the government for withdrawal of funding, public shame or boundary changes.