Gransnet forums

News & politics

Russian massing on the Ukrainian border

(544 Posts)
Daisymae Fri 21-Jan-22 10:30:08

So while our government is debating on what constitutes a party, how many parties may have been held a couple of years ago, there's a terrible threat to world peace going on at the edge of Europe. Anybody else noticed?

mokryna Tue 22-Feb-22 17:10:01

GrannyGravy13
I gave China as an example having the experience of living in a country where no outside news is allowed.
Thé Russian people may not be allowed to hear the real truth regarding what the outside world is doing.
Of course I do not listen to China for the updates on what is happening in the world.

Allsorts Tue 22-Feb-22 18:47:12

Putin has his plan and it won’t alter whatever sanctions we put on them, I’m afraid the Ukrainians cannot defend themselves against Russian power. Bullies.. Seeing those two young boys packing to leave their home amongst the noise of the shelling, such beautiful children, frightened and vulnerable. They are as lambs to the slaughter, why do people like Putin delight in peoples misfortune power whatever the cost.

MayBee70 Tue 22-Feb-22 20:06:47

We still don’t know what Dominic Cummings got up to when he spent several years in Russia, do we?

Grany Wed 23-Feb-22 10:34:40

It’s only 12 days since Starmer reportedly attacked Jeremy Corbyn over his membership of the Stop the War Coalition:

Keir Starmer has lashed out at Jeremy Corbyn insisting he was “wrong” on Nato.

Mr Starmer … launched a fierce attack on the Stop the War coalition, in which Mr Corbyn is a leading figure, accusing it of siding with Russia against Nato.

In an opinion article for the Guardian, he described the group as “naive” at best before adding Putin’s regime would see the group as “virtue signallers” who were “providing a smokescreen so it can go on beating up and jailing those brave individuals that dare to stand up to its despotism on the streets of Russia”.
This is the same Keir Starmer who stood up in Parliament to bang the jingo drum against Russia, demanding stronger action than Boris Johnson had proposed in a speech that all-but-egged the prime minister on to push the nuclear button (that he can’t do anyway without Joe Biden’s permission).

@jeremycorbyn
The Russian forces that have entered Eastern Ukraine should immediately withdraw.
The UK government should encourage a return to the Minsk-2 agreement to end the crisis and oppose further eastward NATO expansion.
Diplomacy must resume.

www.stopwar.org.uk/article/stop-the-war-statement-on-ukraine-22-02-22/

Kali2 Wed 23-Feb-22 18:44:00

What an irresponsible, dangerous, provocative, unprofessional moron!!!

Video of the Ben Wallace meeting at the MOD

Kali2 Wed 23-Feb-22 18:46:50

''Full tonto and kicked their backside in 1853'

just ubelievable!

youtu.be/obcrPJHHgqc

varian Wed 23-Feb-22 18:57:31

What planet are they on?

Whitewavemark2 Wed 23-Feb-22 19:41:43

I see Trump has supported Putin, calling him “a genius”

varian Wed 23-Feb-22 19:43:10

Trump was always Putin's puppet

Katie59 Thu 24-Feb-22 07:48:03

Whitewavemark2

I see Trump has supported Putin, calling him “a genius”

Genius!.

He certainly is a very clever and determined dictator, he’s not going to stop until Ukraine surrenders, he will then install a friendly puppet government.
The Air Force is already out of action how long will the Ukrainian Army fight?.

karmalady Thu 24-Feb-22 07:52:08

ukraine is only the beginning and the skandi countries are in putin`s sights, particularly finland. Putin has a screw loose. Nothing will stop him

Katie59 Thu 24-Feb-22 08:31:03

Finland and Sweden are not NATO members, they have always remained strictly neutral and have profited from trading with both sides.
If Ukraine had taken that stance we would not be seeing the present hostility but NATO wanted to expand east.

Lucca Thu 24-Feb-22 08:51:36

Kali2

''Full tonto and kicked their backside in 1853'

just ubelievable!

youtu.be/obcrPJHHgqc

Cringeworthy.

Katie59 Thu 24-Feb-22 10:43:10

The military are only too aware of the realities of any campaign in Eastern Europe, it’s the polititians that are clueless, they are more concerned in appearing “woke” and diverting attention from domestic issues.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 24-Feb-22 10:57:39

No doubt on GN we will have all the armchair war expert strategists posting whatever propaganda suits their political views and biases.

Don’t worry the adults i.e. our Armed Forces will be advising and I have 100% total faith in their knowledge and expertise.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 24-Feb-22 11:18:46

Apologies for the first paragraph of my previous post, it’s not easy being an Armed Forces Mum in these dangerous days.

I know that we all get our information from different sources and that these are in all probability allied to our political beliefs.

Please be careful what you post as you do not know who is reading or there circumstances.

volver Thu 24-Feb-22 11:23:25

Katie59

Finland and Sweden are not NATO members, they have always remained strictly neutral and have profited from trading with both sides.
If Ukraine had taken that stance we would not be seeing the present hostility but NATO wanted to expand east.

I've just told you on another thread. Finland are feeling threated, their reserves are preparing to be called into action and they are considering joining NATO.

GG13 is correct, we all post from the background of our own political beliefs. But suggesting Ukraine have any responsibility for what is going on, and should have known better, is just untenable.

nanna8 Thu 24-Feb-22 11:28:58

The old take off of ‘Oh to be in England’, comes to mind
Oh to be in Finland
Now that Russia’s there

maddyone Thu 24-Feb-22 11:59:04

Don’t worry GrannyGravy everyone hopefully understands the fear that the families of the armed forces will be extremely worried at this difficult time.

lavendermine Thu 24-Feb-22 12:27:52

I certainly understand GrannyGravy what an awful worry this is.

MayBee70 Thu 24-Feb-22 13:48:18

It’s for that precise reason that we worry about this country being led by someone who some of us regard as a loose cannon when it comes to international affairs and who also seems to have close links to some Russians that may have a hold over him for various reasons. For the same reason that I am a Labour supporter but would be critical of Corbyn if he was still leader as I feel his pacifist ideals, honourable as they are, are misguided.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 24-Feb-22 13:50:18

MayBee70

It’s for that precise reason that we worry about this country being led by someone who some of us regard as a loose cannon when it comes to international affairs and who also seems to have close links to some Russians that may have a hold over him for various reasons. For the same reason that I am a Labour supporter but would be critical of Corbyn if he was still leader as I feel his pacifist ideals, honourable as they are, are misguided.

Yes I think that is absolutely right.

luluaugust Thu 24-Feb-22 16:02:24

Suppose Putin hasn't got a screw loose!

karmalady Thu 24-Feb-22 16:55:58

ukraine was all set to join nato, they were blocked by france and germany, some years ago

varian Thu 24-Feb-22 18:06:39

luluaugust

Suppose Putin hasn't got a screw loose!

Not being a psychiatrist I con't say whether Putin has a screw loose.

But I do wonder about the mentality of a dictator who is prepared to sacrifice the lives of his people for some vanity project and even to threaten the survival of mankind by threatening nuclear war.