Gransnet forums

News & politics

Is this tantamount to gagging order?

(182 Posts)
ayse Fri 28-Jan-22 08:59:24

BBC News. Met police, who said they couldn’t investigate the past (parties) have asked or told Sue Gray to limit her report on publication.

I feel very suspicious about this. What if they decide there is no case? Will we never hear what actually was discovered?

Here is the link. I hope it works.
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-60166997

Whitewavemark2 Fri 28-Jan-22 10:42:44

Germanshepherdsmum

Such as what, wwm? All Sue Gray has been investigating, and what the police are investigating, are potential breaches of covid regs which if found to have happened are punishable by fines.

I have absolutely no idea.

They have either found something so serious that it would potentially need to be taken to court with a jury and therefore might prejudice the jury.

Or it isn’t, in which case suppression is wrong.

Daisymae Fri 28-Jan-22 10:47:40

The report should be published in full now. People will have to draw their own conclusions if there's a convenient delay. I'd like to say how stupid do they think we are, but I think on balance pretty stupid.

Esspee Fri 28-Jan-22 10:49:21

My heart bleeds for what this country has become.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 28-Jan-22 10:50:20

Frankly I think there are much bigger things to worry about at present. I take it at face value that the Met don’t want the report released until they’ve completed their own enquiries and I don’t read anything sinister into that. Whatever there is to hear I have no doubt we shall hear in due course.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 28-Jan-22 11:00:35

Perverting the course of justice?

Whitewavemark2 Fri 28-Jan-22 11:02:46

Germanshepherdsmum

Frankly I think there are much bigger things to worry about at present. I take it at face value that the Met don’t want the report released until they’ve completed their own enquiries and I don’t read anything sinister into that. Whatever there is to hear I have no doubt we shall hear in due course.

Oooh yes and some of us can hold more than one thing in our heads to worry about. You’ll find lots of thread to prove that.

Barmeyoldbat Fri 28-Jan-22 11:08:22

Cover up is all I am going to say.

hazel93 Fri 28-Jan-22 11:27:51

Well, I am bloody angry at all this ! How dare those we elect think they are either above the law or that the populace is so damn stupid they will not see through the lies and blatant arrogance.
I have lived through many less than able Governments but this lot leave me not only angry but so ashamed.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 28-Jan-22 11:42:12

It’s the police that have asked for publication of the report to be delayed, not the government hazel. We don’t elect them (except the police and crime commissioners of course). I really cannot get my knickers in a twist about this. I’m a patient person by nature. It doesn’t make me ‘bloody angry’.

nanna8 Fri 28-Jan-22 11:42:22

I’d be more worried about instability and potential war like situations in Russia than some stupid party. The press are good at distracting people.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 28-Jan-22 11:46:08

In the great scheme of things that worries me much more too nanna. Together with the fact that we have people unable to afford to hear their homes now, let alone after the price cap change in April, and families reliant on food banks.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 28-Jan-22 11:46:29

Heat not hear.

Alegrias1 Fri 28-Jan-22 11:49:36

Nobody's worried about the stupid party!

Lots of us are worried that the PM thinks he can do what he likes, that he shows nothing but contempt for the electorate and that there is now a suggestion that the police are complicit and corrupt.

If you're not worried about that, you're not paying attention.

I'm also worried about the economy, the state of the NHS and international tensions in Ukraine. Telling me not to worry about any of these because there are other things to worry about is just gaslighting.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 28-Jan-22 11:54:00

I don’t believe the Met are behaving in a manner which is either corrupt or complicit in this matter. This is what the media are doing their best to make us think. And I am paying attention, thank you.

LilacChaser Fri 28-Jan-22 12:01:36

When the Met investigation was first announced, the BBC website had a sub-headline that said Sue Gray's report wouldn't be released until the Met had investigated. But within an hour, this sub-headline had vanished. I was going to mention it on here, but had nothing to back it up! So perhaps we won't find out what's in the report until the Met have looked into it.

MayBee70 Fri 28-Jan-22 12:11:29

Given that it’s Met police that seem to have turned a blind eye to whatever has been happening in Downing Street I feel that they should be investigated by an independent body. The whole thing stinks.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 28-Jan-22 12:20:42

Germanshepherdsmum

I don’t believe the Met are behaving in a manner which is either corrupt or complicit in this matter. This is what the media are doing their best to make us think. And I am paying attention, thank you.

You are being naive and wrong.

Anniebach Fri 28-Jan-22 12:23:19

I don’t trust the Met

Whitewavemark2 Fri 28-Jan-22 12:24:16

The Met’s evolving position:

- we don’t investigate Covid crimes retrospectively

- there is insufficient evidence

- we’ll see what comes of Gray

- Gray found evidence so we’ll investigate

- Gray can publish the report in full - then overnight

- we don’t want Gray to publish her evidence as it’ll prejudice our investigation

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 28-Jan-22 12:24:51

Who are you to say that I am either naive or wrong? I have my opinion, you have yours.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 28-Jan-22 12:28:13

Germanshepherdsmum

Who are you to say that I am either naive or wrong? I have my opinion, you have yours.

Oh I’m sorry I do get confused between your legal knowledge and opinion.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 28-Jan-22 12:35:14

Sarcasm doesn’t become anyone.

Alegrias1 Fri 28-Jan-22 12:38:08

Oh, I don't know....

www.yourtango.com/2015272644/sarcastic-people-are-smarter-says-science

lavendermine Fri 28-Jan-22 12:39:10

What a travesty, yet again!

Mollygo Fri 28-Jan-22 12:41:35

Actually we are all governed by what the media, written or spoken tell us, apart from what we learn from someone’s occasional ‘the brother of my cousin’s next-door neighbour with whom we have been close for a long time, who works in the PM’s office told me’ as a source. News is always reported to reflect the views of the report source.