Gransnet forums

News & politics

Is this tantamount to gagging order?

(181 Posts)
ayse Fri 28-Jan-22 08:59:24

BBC News. Met police, who said they couldn’t investigate the past (parties) have asked or told Sue Gray to limit her report on publication.

I feel very suspicious about this. What if they decide there is no case? Will we never hear what actually was discovered?

Here is the link. I hope it works.
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-60166997

dragonfly46 Fri 28-Jan-22 09:04:36

I suppose they feel it could jeopardise any future prosecutions.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 28-Jan-22 09:07:31

Yes, I was listening to that this morning.

I too feel very suspicious.

I think the point being that the Met has behaved very badly over the past couple of years, and their refusal to investigate the goings on in No 10 until absolutely forced does not fill one will confidence. Now seemingly they are ensuring the report on Gray’s findings are being watered down to being worse than useless.

Riverwalk Fri 28-Jan-22 09:08:40

Yes, I've just heard that - they want her to hold back certain things she's found but as you say, what if they take it no further?

They could be relatively minor fixed penalty offences but that's not the issue for me, it's the fact that Johnson lies about them even happening.

I wonder if they've uncovered some serious breaches of the law?

MerylStreep Fri 28-Jan-22 09:09:39

This can will be kicked down the road for so long that it’ll be squashed by the time anyone looks at it.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 28-Jan-22 09:11:53

@JohnJCrace
·
19m
Maybe time for police to arrest Cressida Dick for obstructing police business

Whitewavemark2 Fri 28-Jan-22 09:13:05

And this

Ian Dunt
@IanDunt
I remain confused by how publishing the report in full prejudices a police investigation, given the offences being discussed do not warrant a jury trial.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 28-Jan-22 09:14:09

?

@IanDunt
·
36m
Truth is, the Met seems to have ridden to No.10's rescue several times now. First, by not intervening when it plainly knew illegal events were taking place. Second, by not then investigating them. And third, by finally investigating at a time and in a manner that is most useful.

Kim19 Fri 28-Jan-22 09:16:22

Words rattling around in my head at the moment include manipulation and whitewash.

GagaJo Fri 28-Jan-22 09:17:57

I think it's very much a case of the current government having carte blanche to do whatever they want with no consequences.

*£500,000 flights.
*£3000 meals.
*Bunging contracts to mates who don't fulfill them in the middle of a pandemic.
*Partying while Rome (UK) burns

They really 1) don't care what we think and 2) have total power to do whatever they want.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 28-Jan-22 09:21:28

I’m not surprised that the Met don’t want the report published until they’ve concluded their own enquiries, even though any offences under the covid regs would only attract fixed penalties. It didn’t help that the contrary was reported yesterday, i.e. that they were happy for the report to be released.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 28-Jan-22 09:23:32

The great cover-up begins

AGAA4 Fri 28-Jan-22 09:26:38

I have little faith in Cressida Dick and think she will bow to pressure from No10.

I feel so let down by these people.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 28-Jan-22 09:30:03

Criminal barrister Chris Dawes just announced that there is no justification for the police to suppress the Gray report whatsoever.

It is tantamount to police politicisation.

This is serious I think.

Lincslass Fri 28-Jan-22 09:44:20

So media can’t report on ongoing police investigations, why pray is this any different. Or would you like the information the Met are collecting to be jeopardised just because there are some that see conspiracy everywhere.

Riverwalk Fri 28-Jan-22 09:45:10

MerylStreep

This can will be kicked down the road for so long that it’ll be squashed by the time anyone looks at it.

Indeed it will.

By then parties, cakes, wine fridges, etc. will look petty and the serious matter of lying by default will be overlooked as there will no doubt be other events going on.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 28-Jan-22 09:57:20

Lincslass

So media can’t report on ongoing police investigations, why pray is this any different. Or would you like the information the Met are collecting to be jeopardised just because there are some that see conspiracy everywhere.

No you are wrong.

A Criminal Barrister said on the radio this morning that there is absolutely NO REASON not to publish the Gray report in full.

This is a cover up.

AGAA4 Fri 28-Jan-22 10:00:42

The threat of cyber attacks on the UK from Russia will certainly help Johnson's Partygate to be pushed down the list of priorities.

EllanVannin Fri 28-Jan-22 10:06:52

I said from the start that anything which involves the Met is dodgy. This doesn't surprise me one bit.

ayse Fri 28-Jan-22 10:13:24

I’ve just heard the criminal barrister too.

These evil people are busy destroying democracy for their own ends. Why are Conservative MPs still sitting on their hands but I sincerely thought that at least some of them would have a moral compass but it seems most of them are in it for themselves.

All this plus the latest police bill and our treatment of asylum seekers. I’m so ashamed of our government and their corrupt activities.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 28-Jan-22 10:17:00

James OBrien

“All we’ve got to protect us are the judiciary, the Rule of Law and the police. When that becomes politicised the U.K. becomes no different to Russia, Brazil etc.”

westendgirl Fri 28-Jan-22 10:23:01

I wonder who thought this up. ?
~It reeks of a complete cover up . ~~The met were there , but did nothing at the time. Strange that they should decide to do their own investigation just as Ms Gray's was about to be published. Two people whose positions are under scrutiny, scratching each other's backs. Appalling.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 28-Jan-22 10:26:40

The other possibility is that the misdemeanours were so bad that they are criminal and would go to court with a jury.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 28-Jan-22 10:32:21

Drugs?

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 28-Jan-22 10:35:20

Such as what, wwm? All Sue Gray has been investigating, and what the police are investigating, are potential breaches of covid regs which if found to have happened are punishable by fines.