Gransnet forums

News & politics

If we find there are war crimes happening ...

(56 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

DaisyAnne Tue 01-Mar-22 13:32:50

... what difference would this make?

I caught an interview where they said the International court was going to investigate possible war crimes in Ukraine over the attacks on civilians.

Does anyone know what this would mean? Would it, for instance, mean we could have a no-fly zone? Or is it that we are not having a no-fly zone simply for our personal safety.

I know none of us is an expert in this area but perhaps someone has seen/heard other reports.

varian Thu 03-Mar-22 15:42:20

Fears are growing Russia could impose martial law on the country after a wave of mass protests against the invasion of Ukraine.

In a society where protest against the Kremlin can result in tragic consequences for demonstrators, such a move would tighten restrictions even further – with speculation they would stretch to food and money.

Reports say thousands of people have fled after rumours about tough new laws grew this week.

It comes as Moscow took steps to restrict the ability of its citizens to try and flee the country, which has been battered by economic sanctions from the West in response to its war.

www.lbc.co.uk/news/russia-martial-law-putin-ukraine-invasion/

Freya5 Thu 03-Mar-22 16:30:11

Surely he has committed a war crime, by invading a country without just cause, and murdering civilians in their beds.

varian Thu 03-Mar-22 18:21:01

Have you seen the Russian propaganda version of events?

According to Lavrov's spokeswoman-

" Ukraine has been taken over by Nazi criminals and drug addicts who were committing genocide in the Dombass. They use the civilian population as human shields, hiding artillery in residential areas and killing their own people so they can blame it on Russia. The special forces are there to save the population, and restore the land to Russia as Ukraine is not a real country. "

It seems to us quite incredible to us that anyone could ever believe these evil lies, but we have not been living under the Putin regime for 22 years.

I heard a heart-rending account on the radio from an intelligent, well informed Russian woman, in despair because she could not convince her elderly mother that Putin's poisonous propaganda was all lies.

Aveline Thu 03-Mar-22 18:41:10

This really is a battle between good and evil. It so overwhelmingly bad that it's easy to see that this madman's delusional incursion into another country simply must be stopped.
Imposing martial law in Russia might be a last straw for people there. I hope so. I saw that a Russian businessman has offered 1,000,000 dollar reward for capture of Putin. A start?

M0nica Sat 05-Mar-22 20:13:12

I do wonder how people in Russia will re-act when Putin's regime does collapse and they do get access to wider media sources - or indeed when their sons and grandsons return from being part of the Russian army in Ukraine and say what it is really like.

I see many Russians are fleeing russia through Finland for fear of Martial law.