Gransnet forums

News & politics

War crimes in Ukraine

(236 Posts)
maddyone Sun 03-Apr-22 11:23:08

The invasion of Ukraine and the subsequent bombings and acts of war have sickened the entire population of the UK and other countries, but this morning I heard something that seems to plumb new depths. My son arrived with my grandson this morning, having taken part in Park Run (grandchild got a PB today?) and my son son told me that he’d seen an item about Ukraine in which during the withdrawal from the Kviv area, the Russians had apparently shot all/many of the men between the ages of 14 and 60. They had been shot in the back of the head apparently and the bodies left by the side of the road. This is a blatant war crime and despite all the other atrocities happening in Ukraine I felt absolutely shocked and sickened. I commented that this was what happened frequently under the Nazis in WW2. I haven’t seen it reported though and wondered if anyone else has seen a report. Is this what we can now expect from the Russians in this desperately tragic theatre of war?

Urmstongran Wed 04-May-22 16:47:01

Just read this & thought I’d share it:

“Russian troops’ widespread looting of residences in Ukrainian cities is well documented, and lately, reports have been growing of Russian forces stealing farm equipment, grain, and even building materials. Then came the huge theft of a lot of very valuable agricultural equipment – at least $5 million worth – from a John Deere dealership in Melitopol, which Russian troops have occupied since March.
The thieves then sent all that valuable equipment – the giant combine harvesters alone are worth $300,000 each – via Russian military transport to Chechnya, over 700 miles away. The audacity of that thievery suggests the criminal operations are becoming increasingly organized.
And that would be the end of the story – if the Ukrainians hadn't pulled off a much deserved Gotcha. Because once the equipment arrived in Chechnya, none of it could be used, as it had all been locked remotely. “ (CNN)

Callistemon21 Mon 11-Apr-22 20:09:17

MaizieD

maddyone

I’m just pleased that very little of our gas comes from Russia.
Anyone know how much of our oil comes from Russia?

Mr Duck Duck Go knows...

According to a UKgov press release:

Russian imports account for 8% of total UK oil demand, but the UK is also a significant producer of both crude oil and petroleum products, in addition to imports from a diverse range of reliable suppliers beyond Russia including the Netherlands, Saudi Arabia, and USA.

www.gov.uk/government/news/uk-to-phase-out-russian-oil-imports

There are different grades of oil and I saw this on a government website (as is your excerpt MaizieD too)

4. Russian oil imports as a percentage of total demand (DUKES 2020):

Petrol, 0%
Jet fuel, 5%
Heating oil, 0%
Diesel, 18%
Gas oil (such as red diesel), 1%
Fuel oil, 0%
All oil imports, 8%

So, according to that, no petrol or heating oil comes from Russia.

mokryna Mon 11-Apr-22 19:16:21

I am so sad for the surrounded brave men who are still fighting for the freedom of the Ukraine but say thé have run out of ammunition .

MaizieD Fri 08-Apr-22 13:02:54

maddyone

Mr Duck Duck Go knows...

According to a UKgov press release:

Russian imports account for 8% of total UK oil demand, but the UK is also a significant producer of both crude oil and petroleum products, in addition to imports from a diverse range of reliable suppliers beyond Russia including the Netherlands, Saudi Arabia, and USA.

www.gov.uk/government/news/uk-to-phase-out-russian-oil-imports

MaizieD Fri 08-Apr-22 12:58:37

maddyone

Maizie I think you must be a fan of Jane Austen.

Thanks for recognising the source grin.

It seemed so relevant...

I don't understand why people don't like her...

maddyone Fri 08-Apr-22 12:52:44

Sadly I have to agree with you AGAA4.

AGAA4 Fri 08-Apr-22 11:32:55

The BBC reporter in Moscow says that Putin seems to be enjoying his isolated state telling his people that it is proof that the evil west are trying undermine Russia for their own ends. He still insists that he is trying to liberate Ukraine from the Nazis and they are the ones killing their own people.
I don't think he will ever be brought to trial. They would have to find him first.
It is all very depressing.

maddyone Fri 08-Apr-22 10:57:45

maddyone Fri 08-Apr-22 10:43:06

Maizie I think you must be a fan of Jane Austen.

Coastpath Fri 08-Apr-22 10:12:44

"Ukraine says more than 30 people are dead and 100 wounded after rockets hit a train station in the city of Kramatorsk in eastern Ukraine. Thousands of people were at the station at the time as they try to flee Russian attacks, according to the Donetsk regional governor"
BBC News. 8 April 2022.

volver Fri 08-Apr-22 09:54:45

Our single largest source of gas is from the UK Continental Shelf and the vast majority of imports come from reliable suppliers such as Norway.

It may have escaped your notice Urmstongran, but we have a rather significant Oil and Gas industry extracting gas from the UK Continental Shelf. Then, the vast majority of our imports come from reliable suppliers such as Norway.

It does not say that most UK gas comes from Norway... hmm

MaizieD Fri 08-Apr-22 09:53:58

Urmstongran

Well I read in the Telegraph or Daily Mail that it did. There was a bar chart showing a huge long line on it .... from Norway.
Admittedly I don’t then rush off to fact check.

Fact checking of everything published in those two 'news'papers is highly recommended. As is also anything published by the government that has a liar for a leader.

Urmstongran Fri 08-Apr-22 09:52:20

And this source says about a third.

inews.co.uk/news/uk-gas-where-from-how-much-russia-import-britain-supplies-explained-1504257

Anyway, it’s not from Russia so we are lucky.

Urmstongran Fri 08-Apr-22 09:50:57

I’ve just Googled it.
This government website states that most of the UK gas comes from Norway!

www.gov.uk/government/news/russia-ukraine-and-uk-energy-factsheet

Urmstongran Fri 08-Apr-22 09:49:26

Well I read in the Telegraph or Daily Mail that it did. There was a bar chart showing a huge long line on it .... from Norway.
Admittedly I don’t then rush off to fact check.

volver Fri 08-Apr-22 09:47:29

Oh I know MaizieD. I know.... sad

MaizieD Fri 08-Apr-22 09:45:09

DiamondLily

It seems most of our gas comes from the North Sea and Norway. Russia provide us with about 3%:

inews.co.uk/news/uk-gas-where-from-how-much-russia-import-britain-supplies-explained-1504257

QED

MaizieD Fri 08-Apr-22 09:44:03

volver

Urmstongran

I think most of our gas comes from Norway. Lucky us.

7 o'clock last night, on this thread, GG13 posted a screenshot that showed that most of our gas does not come from Norway.

Haven't you realised yet, volver that it is a fact universally acknowledged that many Gnet posters are highly unlikely to have read and absorbed any information posted before they make their own comment.

DiamondLily Fri 08-Apr-22 09:40:06

It seems most of our gas comes from the North Sea and Norway. Russia provide us with about 3%:

volver Fri 08-Apr-22 09:09:02

Urmstongran

7 o'clock last night, on this thread, GG13 posted a screenshot that showed that most of our gas does not come from Norway.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 08-Apr-22 08:53:00

GrannyGravy13

Russia has been suspended from the UN Human Rights Council.

Apparently 28 Countries voted against this along with Countries abstaining.

Will the Russian population get to know this?

China sided with Russia.

It seems to me that the world is picking sides.

At the very least it would appear to be a new and bigger Cold War

Katie59 Fri 08-Apr-22 08:40:34

Whitewavemark2

It would seem that the war is almost likely to intensify over the next weeks.

It seems to me that NATO using Ukraine as a proxy in its war with Russia, is on a footing to nothing unless it ensures Russia is defeated.

If Russia wins, I would not like to think what the future holds.

Yes it was NATO that was “courting” Ukraine to join, now they must give the the weapons to kick the Russians out.
Then of course help rebuild Ukraine.

Urmstongran Fri 08-Apr-22 08:39:10

Whitewavemark2 Fri 08-Apr-22 08:15:38

It would seem that the war is almost likely to intensify over the next weeks.

It seems to me that NATO using Ukraine as a proxy in its war with Russia, is on a footing to nothing unless it ensures Russia is defeated.

If Russia wins, I would not like to think what the future holds.

maddyone Thu 07-Apr-22 18:56:26

At a guess, no.