Gransnet forums

News & politics

Are the Royal Family losing their touch?

(847 Posts)
volver Sun 03-Apr-22 16:22:31

A couple of weeks ago we had the disastrous PR associated with the Caribbean tour, and now the judgement of the Queen is being questioned, for giving Prince Andrew such a prominent role in the Duke of Edinburgh's memorial service.

The position of the Royal Family depends very strongly on their acceptance by, and the support of, the public both here and overseas; are they losing that?

Anniebach Sat 14-May-22 11:29:58

But could get involved in party politics behind closed doors “

Speak out on important issues of the day But nothing political !

Food banks. NHS. Pension poverty. Oooops political

Yammy Sat 14-May-22 11:33:49

Calendargirl

Gilly3

6 years ago. Why does PA always hog that front seat? Has he got a leg problem?

I don’t know what occasion that was, but Charles and Camilla don’t appear to be there, so I assume Andrew is sitting where he is because, after William and Harry, he is next most senior royal at that event, whatever it was.

He isn't anymore, Princess Ann follows Prince Charles being the second eldest, after the rules were changed saying Charlotte would follow George, women now have their rightful place in line.
I can never make my mind up if I am a Royalist. I don't think I will have to wait much longer they are all shooting themselves in the foot.
Probable obnoxious behaviour by Andrew, William taking ill advice on Royal tours and Harry selling his woes to anyone who will pay. As for Charles and his arrogant behaviour, all I can say is I waited in anticipation.

volver Sat 14-May-22 11:35:04

So.

We don't believe that the Queen and her sainted family would ever take advantage of a system that allows them unfair access to the legal system, and allows them to secretly change laws to their own advantage.

But we do believe that a person chosen by the people would be an incorrigible politician who would only work to advance their own agenda.

So the Queen and her family are special people then, not like the rest of us.

I'm not with you all on that, sorry.

JaneJudge Sat 14-May-22 11:36:29

Whatever I feel about the Royal family, I'm glad that young woman was made a Dame as it is obviously something that has brought her joy in her final days or weeks. She sounds like she has been incredibly brave and a powerful force of nature and has helped an enormous amount of people who are faced with their own daunting and overwhelming diagnosis

Jaberwok Sat 14-May-22 11:46:27

Presidents need to be judged how they function in peacetime. All including the appalling Mr Kim will defend their country during wartime as would Erdogan and anyone else you can name. In peacetime of course it's almost always a different story. Even Mr Biden might be moved into defense mode if America was attacked. Maybe!

volver Sat 14-May-22 11:50:32

Mandela. Mary Robinson. Mary McAleese.

Anyway, as has been said on numerous occasions although many people still don't seem to grasp this. The majority of republicans aren't talking about a Head of State who is also Head of Government.

And taking the line that Zelenskyy is just doing what any president would do in time of war, and he's no different in that respect from Kim, that isn't going to get much support, I should think grin

Jaberwok Sat 14-May-22 13:05:54

Of course the ones you mention, but what's happened since, particularly SA? Working members of the RF have the welfare of this country at heart and are prepared to dedicate their lives in promoting it regardless of what political party is in power. I have much more regard for them than some here today gone tomorrow, jumping on the bandwagon President, which is what you risk, and will probably get.

volver Sat 14-May-22 13:11:29

Well you and I will never agree on this Jaberwok. I do tend to go on a bit about Mary Robinson because I think she is super. Maybe you can give me a list of the things that our current queen has done for the UK or the world in general, and how the RF as a whole has helped the welfare of this country?

www.irishcentral.com/opinion/niallodowd/mary-robinson-woman-changed-ireland

theelders.org/profile/mary-robinson

Mollygo Sat 14-May-22 13:49:49

volver

So.

We don't believe that the Queen and her sainted family would ever take advantage of a system that allows them unfair access to the legal system, and allows them to secretly change laws to their own advantage.

But we do believe that a person chosen by the people would be an incorrigible politician who would only work to advance their own agenda.

So the Queen and her family are special people then, not like the rest of us.

I'm not with you all on that, sorry.

Is that the royal ‘we’ you are using there Volver? Are you speaking ‘for or the people’?

volver Sat 14-May-22 13:51:49

We the assembled ranks of Gransnet. Excluding me, grany, maddyone and anyone else that isn't blinded by the sun reflecting off the jewelled hat.

Mollygo Sat 14-May-22 14:30:17

Oh thanks for that Volver. My daughters and their partners and my DGC are special people to me, as are my friends and family. I don’t expect any one else to consider them as special people, but on the other hand I wouldn’t criticise anyone who thinks my family members are special too. I guess some of you get pleasure out of snide comments about the RF. Go for it.

Anniebach Sat 14-May-22 14:41:23

Mary Robinson and Mary McAleese were nominated to stand for president by political parties .

Imagine Corbyn and Johnson standing for president

volver Sat 14-May-22 14:42:02

I have no doubt you think your family are special people Mollygo. I think my family are special too. That's generally what people think of their family.

However the Queen and the Royal family aren't "my" family. As far as I know, nobody on GN thinks the RF are "their family".

I guess I'm just a bit amazed that we have a group who have the opportunity and motive to misuse laws, but there is a conviction among some people that they would never do such a thing. Even though there might actually be evidence that they do (Environmental laws in Scotland concerning the Balmoral Estate, for instance).

But those same people think we should avoid an elected HoS at all costs, because this as-yet unnamed, non existent person might just not be trustworthy.

So people must think that the RF aren't genetically capable of taking advantage of laws to advance their own interests, but other "common" people might. There is nothing snide in speaking the truth, even if you don't want to hear it.

volver Sat 14-May-22 14:43:12

Anniebach

Mary Robinson and Mary McAleese were nominated to stand for president by political parties .

It doesn't matter how often you post it Anniebach. It doesn't become any cleverer.

Aveline Sat 14-May-22 15:05:29

As always volver it ain't what you say it's the way that you say it. No need to be quite so harsh. Anniebach, like all of us here, is entitled to her opinion. We get it. You don't like the Royal family but most of us do and enjoy following their activities.

Callistemon21 Sat 14-May-22 15:14:16

Anniebach

Yes and we can imagine as much as we like!!

Either would be an embarrassment.

?

volver Sat 14-May-22 15:21:44

Aveline

As always volver it ain't what you say it's the way that you say it. No need to be quite so harsh. Anniebach, like all of us here, is entitled to her opinion. We get it. You don't like the Royal family but most of us do and enjoy following their activities.

Yes everybody is entitled to their opinion. And I'm sorry about this, but every time a President is talked about, somebody, not always the people on this thread, will say "Imagine xyz becoming president" or "presidents are always political". It is not original, it is very wearing and it doesn't add anything to the conversation.

I don't like the concept of a monarchy in the modern world, which is not the same as not liking the Royal family. I wonder about people who enjoy following their activities. Some people like following the Kardashians as well. I can see parallels.

Joseanne Sat 14-May-22 15:25:09

volver

William could be a cross between Mother Teresa and St Francis of Assisi. I'd still want a republic.

I know your feelings on the monarchy volver and that is fine.

I do, however, think that all the comparisons between saints and heroes with tyrants and dictators on this thread are irrelevant, as William is who he is and does his job, just as Zelensky is Zelensky and does his. Like you say, it works both ways. Doesn't it suck the character out of people to suggest they should behave like someone else in history? Their provenance and the roles they perform are miles apart.
I can't see people agreeing on what the acceptable credentials for a HoS who is unique in their own way would be. But I do believe that the next royal incumbent can, and hopefully will, make changes and remove a lot of the unnecessary baggage.

Joseanne Sat 14-May-22 15:27:20

Some people like following the Kardashians as well. I can see parallels.
Exactly this to my mind silly comparison.

volver Sat 14-May-22 15:34:29

I don't want a HoS who is unique. I want one who understands that being HoS doesn't just involve delivering speeches someone else has written and turning up for photoshoots in the gardens of people who they think are deserving of the honour.

Other countries seem to be able to come up with a job description for an elected HoS. It just seems to be us that rely on them being a nice chap(ess).

Bizarrely, I find myself warming to Charles. He seems to have a character of his own and I think he will make his voice heard. But I find William to be a blank slate with not much going on behind the eyes. Sorry. sad

volver Sat 14-May-22 15:36:11

Joseanne

^Some people like following the Kardashians as well. I can see parallels.^
Exactly this to my mind silly comparison.

People like to know who is marrying who and what thier babies are called. They like to know what they are wearing. They have heroes and villains. They want to see their houses in OK! magazine.

I'm making a serious point.

Aveline Sat 14-May-22 15:37:17

Only your opinion of William volver. Others who know him say quite the opposite.

volver Sat 14-May-22 15:38:23

Yes, my opinion. I don't know him, but I know people who do.

Joseanne Sat 14-May-22 15:49:00

Did you read what Deborah James said about him only yesterday volver? I mean apart from how kind and generous he was to her family.
He is clearly passionate about improving oncology outcomes as the President of the Royal Marsden.
Considering 1 in 2 of the population ends up with cancer, I would say he has a good understanding behind the eyes.

Grandma70s Sat 14-May-22 15:50:48

Yammy

Calendargirl

Gilly3

6 years ago. Why does PA always hog that front seat? Has he got a leg problem?

I don’t know what occasion that was, but Charles and Camilla don’t appear to be there, so I assume Andrew is sitting where he is because, after William and Harry, he is next most senior royal at that event, whatever it was.

He isn't anymore, Princess Ann follows Prince Charles being the second eldest, after the rules were changed saying Charlotte would follow George, women now have their rightful place in line.
I can never make my mind up if I am a Royalist. I don't think I will have to wait much longer they are all shooting themselves in the foot.
Probable obnoxious behaviour by Andrew, William taking ill advice on Royal tours and Harry selling his woes to anyone who will pay. As for Charles and his arrogant behaviour, all I can say is I waited in anticipation.

The new rules don’t apply to Princess Anne (with an E, please) and her generation. She is a long way down the line of succession, 17th to be precise. Andrew is 9th. The new rules do apply to Princess Charlotte, who is ahead of her little brother Louis. Quite right, too.