Gransnet forums

News & politics

Are the Royal Family losing their touch?

(847 Posts)
volver Sun 03-Apr-22 16:22:31

A couple of weeks ago we had the disastrous PR associated with the Caribbean tour, and now the judgement of the Queen is being questioned, for giving Prince Andrew such a prominent role in the Duke of Edinburgh's memorial service.

The position of the Royal Family depends very strongly on their acceptance by, and the support of, the public both here and overseas; are they losing that?

volver Sat 14-May-22 15:55:24

Joseanne

Did you read what Deborah James said about him only yesterday volver? I mean apart from how kind and generous he was to her family.
He is clearly passionate about improving oncology outcomes as the President of the Royal Marsden.
Considering 1 in 2 of the population ends up with cancer, I would say he has a good understanding behind the eyes.

But with respect Joseanne. I had dinner with a friend this week who suffered from cancer and they are passionate about improving oncology outcomes too. And it wasn't Prince William.

We'll never agree.

nandad Sat 14-May-22 16:09:10

Is Putin an elected HoS? Just asking.

volver Sat 14-May-22 16:14:15

See Aveline? See what I mean?

Aveline Sat 14-May-22 16:26:27

volver why not go for a nice walk? I'm sure you could find a change of people to argue with if you did and the fresh air would do you good. grin

volver Sat 14-May-22 16:27:51

I can't even find the words.

Well I can, but I'd be banned.

Aveline Sat 14-May-22 16:29:11

smile

Anniebach Sat 14-May-22 16:42:47

Do find the words volver

nandad Sat 14-May-22 16:51:16

Yes, please do volver. Because so far you haven’t really said anything that would convince me that doing away with the monarchy and replacing it with an elected HoS would be any different. Except that we would lose a lot of tourism that our antiquated system of monarchy brings to this country. Oh, and don’t forget there’s a jubilee being celebrated next month. Try getting into a hotel in London.

BTW have to point out that I am not a royalist, quite the contrary, but unless we have something better to replace it with, I can’t get that worked up about something that brings joy to millions.

nandad Sat 14-May-22 16:52:23

Oh, and don’t get me started on Saint Mandela!

Joseanne Sat 14-May-22 17:03:22

Often life consists of impatiently waiting for the next milestone which suits your thinking. A new (better) government, a new (better) regime, a new (better) leader, a new (better) system etc. But when it comes along it often turns out to be no better, just different.
Your last sentence reminded me nandad of the saying that comparison is the thief of joy, and at this moment a bit of joy and celebration is well needed.

lemsip Sat 14-May-22 17:05:04

volver

oh please find the words, .... about time you were banned!

Jaberwok Sat 14-May-22 17:20:48

Oh dear Lemsip. volver and I will never agree over anything political, but I certainly don't think she should be banned. That's going too far.

Lucca Sat 14-May-22 17:22:07

lemsip

volver

oh please find the words, .... about time you were banned!

How rude . Why should she be banned ? Because she says what she thinks ? Just like all of us.

Is your comment in the spirit of GN ?

Lucca Sat 14-May-22 17:22:52

Jaberwok, good for you saying that ?

Aveline Sat 14-May-22 17:24:25

Quite right.

Callistemon21 Sat 14-May-22 18:04:40

Yes everybody is entitled to their opinion. And I'm sorry about this, but every time a President is talked about, somebody, not always the people on this thread, will say "Imagine xyz becoming president" or "presidents are always political". It is not original, it is very wearing and it doesn't add anything to the conversation.

Or "Look at the Irish Presidents, how wonderful are they?"
But who are they?

Grany Sat 14-May-22 18:08:24

The HoS is not elected or accountable to anyone.The 'stabilising' function of monarchy itself may be against the commonwealth good, because it perpetuates the exercise of power by an established hereditary elite, providing constitutional safeguards only for the interests of that establishment. That is the problem of monarchy.

Grany Sat 14-May-22 18:10:12

Against the common good.

Callistemon21 Sat 14-May-22 18:17:32

I can think of many Presidents who would be considered against the common good.
And other Monarchies in fact.

But not the British Monarchy.

Mollygo Sat 14-May-22 18:24:07

Grany The HoS is not elected or accountable to anyone ???
-so how will the HoS be appointed? Regardless of whether you’re anti monarchy or not . . .
What is the purpose of:
-Spending vast sums each time on deciding who will be HoS? (Or will it only be a select few who have a say in who gets the job?)
-Financing the dwelling place of the HoS?
-Funding the post, whether or not the person chosen is another person who knows how to work the system to preserve their existing wealth or a person who has or will develop nest-feathering skills?
-Providing security measures

Joane123 Sat 14-May-22 18:29:58

I wouldn't want volver to be banned: enjoy her posts and contributions, makes a lot of sense imho.

Grany Sat 14-May-22 20:30:46

Mollygo

Grany The HoS is not elected or accountable to anyone ???
-so how will the HoS be appointed? Regardless of whether you’re anti monarchy or not . . .
What is the purpose of:
-Spending vast sums each time on deciding who will be HoS? (Or will it only be a select few who have a say in who gets the job?)
-Funding the post, whether or not the person chosen is another person who knows how to work the system to preserve their existing wealth or a person who has or will develop nest-feathering skills?

I have tried to answer your questions one by one Millygo

What is the purpose of:

A HoS can either be elected by the electorate, or nominated by and elected by our elected representatives.

A president would have a small office and one official residence. The public wouldn’t fund their extended family or maintain multiple homes.

-Funding the post,
A president would receive an annual salary

-whether or not the person chosen is another person who knows how to work the system to preserve their existing wealth or a person who has or
will develop nest-feathering skills?

The RF know how to preserve and add to their existing wealth called Queen's consent
Once elected by the people the head of state is expected to abide by the rules that set out how they should behave. And would have to be accountable.

The Metropolitan police would provide security as with the Royals their security costs £104 million that they don't mention in their financial report.

Candidates may be people with successful careers in law, business, foreign affairs, teaching, science, or someone who has made a name for themselves championing a popular cause or running a big charity. In a great country like ours, with over sixty million people, we'll be spoilt for choice.

Mollygo Sat 14-May-22 20:37:22

Thanks Grany, so we’d swap one institution for another and still have to pay.

Callistemon21 Sat 14-May-22 20:43:15

In a great country like ours, with over sixty million people, we'll be spoilt for choice

But anyone with any sense won't want to do the job - who would volunteer?
We'd be left with the rest of the dubious candidates

paddyann54 Sat 14-May-22 22:14:07

Mollygo we'd pay a vast amount LESS than we do now .We'd pay for the President not the 18 other folk in "GRACE AND FAVOUR" homes or the multiple homes that some like Will and Kate have .
BUT its not all about money its about living in a country thats fairer ,where one family aren't treated like demi gods ,pampered and privileged NOT because they are extraordinary human beings with great talent or amazing skills .They are feted and fawned over just because of whose vagina they came down .
That is so wrong .On any level that is wrong because surely we have progressed since the middle ages when it was accepted and believed they had divine rights .
Meritocracy with someone who worked their way to the top instead of being handed the world on a plate is how we should be led.
Sadly it appears folk down south dont have faith in anyone BUT those born privileged and look what that landed us with Boris and hiis circus of inept ,incompetent Eton educated clowns .