Gransnet forums

News & politics

the law as it stands on sex - part 3

(338 Posts)
Doodledog Sat 23-Apr-22 09:11:32

Two thousand posts so far!

To pick up where we left off, I’ll repeat my post from the end of the last thread - I got home too late to get any answers or many comments. I’ll keep the formatting to make it easier to bold, but will lost the bold type or italics:

I’ve been out this evening, so am just catching up with the thread, and have a few questions, if that’s ok.

trisher, you seem to find a lot of this funny, but I don’t see it like that at all.

What was the point of the ‘spot the transwoman’ game?

As Galaxy says, you are quick to label others, and I wouldn’t have thought being called an ‘ally’ would have struck you as offensive, but if you don’t like it I will try to remember not to use it in relation to you. Perhaps you would remember that many people on here (me included) find ‘cis’ offensive, and would return the favour?

I also see myself as someone who believes in human rights and equality. I posted the Amnesty list of human rights on this very thread, after VS insisted that the human rights of transpeople were being abused. I asked which ones were being denied, but there was no response from either of you.

Human rights are very important to me, but I really don’t think that being allowed to undress in front of the opposite sex is a human right, and can’t see anything on the Amnesty list that is being denied to transpeople. If you think otherwise, please state which ones they are, and I’ll reconsider.

VS, You say:
Thats exactly what was said any time anyone asked for their rights... Others complained it violated theirs. It didn't and it doesn't
Can you please explain what you mean by that? I see it trotted out a lot, but nobody who repeats it has explained how it relates to the following situations:
Where there are people whose rights to undress in a single sex environment is violated by people asking for the right to use that environment as members of the opposite sex.

Where people want the right to compete fairly in a sport that they have trained for for years, but that right is violated by those who have stronger and differently proportioned bodies insisting on competing against them.

When people want the right to have agency over who touches them intimately but that right is violated by someone who does not declare their male sex to female patients/clients.

I would be interested to hear your thoughts, as I do see those things as violations of the rights of one group of people by another.

Also, what is it that you think that legislation has dealt with fairly, please?

Rosie51 Sat 21-May-22 10:25:32

Mollygo thanks for that link. What a brilliantly clear analysis of the subject. I agree with Elegran it should be required reading for anyone whose child wants the treatment. I'd go further and say all clinicians should have to read, and attest to the fact they've read it, before they administer any chemical procedure on a child.

Elegran Sat 21-May-22 10:00:06

Should be required reading for anyone whose child wants this treatment.

Mollygo Sat 21-May-22 00:06:22

I’ve just read this -it’s quite long, but it explains quite a lot about puberty blockers and their effects.
drdylanwilson.substack.com/p/an-open-letter-to-australias-doctors?fbclid=IwAR3OhtMTzKXBfg43bdhb_grpO89-xg28z1cl0Ze5bTINN6XzhXFmg9eKOQ8&s=r

DiamondLily Fri 20-May-22 14:10:19

Yes, I think it's this private GP, with his online site:

"A retired consultant physician wrongly prescribed sex-change treatments to seven transgender patients - one who was aged just nine and another a teenager who took their own life few months later.

Dr Michael Webberley provided puberty blockers and cross-sex hormones via GenderGP, an online gender clinic which he ran with his GP wife Dr Helen Webberley.

A Medical Practitioners Tribunal Service (MPTS) panel found a number of charges proved against him after he was accused of failing to provide good clinical care to seven patients between February 2017 and June 2019."

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10833739/Doctor-wrongly-prescribed-sex-change-treatments-seven-transgender-patients.html

Blossoming Fri 20-May-22 12:05:47

Some of you may find this interesting. www.medscape.co.uk/viewarticle/retired-doctor-wrongly-prescribed-sex-change-treatments-2022a1001amy?uac=374618CR&faf=1&sso=true&impID=4261095&src=mkm_ret_220520_mscpmrk_dailyuk_int

FarNorth Sat 14-May-22 13:13:38

m.youtube.com/watch?fbclid=IwAR2g--xirNIDSgRTJqQLo1CfI11H0Bi8QUWrangpSwt-8kdqHMAWvBpoB6k&v=oVo5jdy2FZw&feature=youtu.be

This is very sad to watch.
A transwoman who has realised that his life has been ruined by the attempt to be a woman instead of an effeminate man.

Doodledog Thu 12-May-22 14:02:23

I got sidetracked, but was just about to post to ask you to start a new thread, DL.

I think you are describing a situation that is separate from this one, and your point could easily get lost.

DiamondLily Thu 12-May-22 12:45:24

Mollygo

If Stonewall can’t see that male and female bodies exist, they should go to Specsavers. The good news about statements like that is it makes Stonewall look even more stupid than they actually are. The bad news is that some really stupid people will actually believe it.

I've been asked to start a new thread with this, as it's about freedom of speech and biological facts, as much as anything.

Mollygo Thu 12-May-22 12:34:43

If Stonewall can’t see that male and female bodies exist, they should go to Specsavers. The good news about statements like that is it makes Stonewall look even more stupid than they actually are. The bad news is that some really stupid people will actually believe it.

DiamondLily Thu 12-May-22 07:50:36

Julie Bindel had a pretty horrendous time whilst delivering a (previously postponed) lecture to York University's Free Speech Society.

The activists, who say we must be "all be kind" didn't display much courtesy or kindness to her.?

She was abused, accused, screamed at, and had placards thrust in her face. The TW mob were out in force, and she was "invited" to kiss their "man-boobs" and told things she could do with their "trans d*cks".

www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-10806353/JULIE-BINDEL-explains-female-students-bullied-hearing-feminists.html

Meanwhile, in the Court case involving Alison Bailey, Stonewall tell us that there are no such things as male and female bodies. They don't exist...?

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10807211/We-not-inherently-male-female-Stonewall-campaigner-says-bodies-just-bodies.html

It sure is a funny old world out there in Trans La-La land.?

FarNorth Wed 11-May-22 17:05:56

She's just hoping to publicise herself and get this show put on somewhere.
Let's hope that other venues who are approached look closely at the actual content of the show and its publicity, rather than at this type of waffle.

A show that's suitable for looking at sexual matters with 5 year olds will probably be quite boring for teenagers.
I don't believe the show can be suitable for all.

FarNorth Wed 11-May-22 16:58:28

"Right-wing activists"? Not really.

SueDonim Wed 11-May-22 16:22:27

Amongst all those ‘isms’ that producer’s age-ism was clearly on display. hmm She seems to have selective memory too. The Googling of animal masturbation seems to have been forgotten, for a start.

DiamondLily Wed 11-May-22 14:37:53

Mollygo

DiamondLily
Unbelievable really. I suppose using words like
extremist hard-right Christian groups in the US.
The outcry on social media and the subsequent petition used words and ideologies that are rooted in queerphobia, racism, fatphobia, ableism, misogyny and transphobia makes him feel justified in not mentioning the potential harm to children and opportunities for some sick people to persuade themselves that if they’ve seen it on a show it must be OK to risk that or exploit those scenes with children, for their own enjoyment.

I think the producer is missing the point of why people were objecting.

It wasn't about right wing groups - it was about parents, grandparents etc with enough common sense to understand what sort of creeps and weirdos this sort of thing would attract.?

I wouldn't have taken my kids or grandchildren - there are ways to teach children about healthy relationships, and this isn't it.

Besides which, I would imagine most children would be bored out of their minds at this rubbish.

At 5 years old they want Disney, pantos, fun days etc.

Mollygo Wed 11-May-22 08:39:35

DiamondLily
Unbelievable really. I suppose using words like
extremist hard-right Christian groups in the US.
The outcry on social media and the subsequent petition used words and ideologies that are rooted in queerphobia, racism, fatphobia, ableism, misogyny and transphobia makes him feel justified in not mentioning the potential harm to children and opportunities for some sick people to persuade themselves that if they’ve seen it on a show it must be OK to risk that or exploit those scenes with children, for their own enjoyment.

DiamondLily Wed 11-May-22 07:52:44

The producer of the Family Sex Show, discussed on this thread, explains why the show was cancelled, in the Guardian (where else?) ?:

"I am the producer and co-creator of a piece of theatre that was cancelled before it had even been seen. It started like this: a group of people online began to call for the show to be shut down. It gained some traction and led to a petition on the platform Citizen Go, which is believed to have links with extremist hard-right Christian groups in the US.

The outcry on social media and the subsequent petition used words and ideologies that are rooted in queerphobia, racism, fatphobia, ableism, misogyny and transphobia."

Oh right. Nothing to do with most of not wanting children exposed to all this? lol

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/may/10/cancel-culture-rightwing-activists-family-sex-show

SueDonim Tue 10-May-22 19:32:13

grin Rosie and Molly.

Mollygo Tue 10-May-22 19:05:02

To me dear Mr M, you look as good as ever, (especially since he’s been using my moisturiser!)

Rosie51 Tue 10-May-22 16:20:11

grin and your answer....... ? ??

Mollygo Tue 10-May-22 15:05:02

Rosie51
^My individual DH not only didn't notice his menopause, he also hadn't been aware of menstruating, but then he can be spectacularly unobservant at times.^??

Mine was equally unobservant, however after I shared the info about HRT keeping you younger looking, he asked if I thought it was too late for him to try it.

Rosie51 Tue 10-May-22 13:14:05

SueDonim the work that goes into these articles to studiously avoid mentioning this is something only women, females, will have to contend with ? They just don't care about the vast majority of women who would prefer to see sexed language, instead doing anything to appease the teeny minority who don't like it.
My individual DH not only didn't notice his menopause, he also hadn't been aware of menstruating, but then he can be spectacularly unobservant at times grin

SueDonim Tue 10-May-22 12:25:33

Spot the AHF in this article about HRT. Clue: you won’t be able to. hmm. I’ve just asked my Dh how, as an individual, his menopause went. He said he didn’t notice it.

jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2791692

DiamondLily Tue 10-May-22 07:09:27

Anne Robinson is of the age, wealth and temperament that she probably doesn't give a monkey's about being cancelled, trolled or whatever.

There's nothing much they can do to her, and kudos to her for speaking out, and saying the obvious.?

Mollygo Mon 09-May-22 18:33:51

Chewbacca
Wonder if she'll be cancelled for having the audacity to point out the obvious?
Possibly not, but her leaving Countdown will be attributed to her having had the audacity to state the truth.

Chewbacca Mon 09-May-22 16:58:19

Anne Robinson - who I really don't have much time for usually: TV legend Anne Robinson has waded into a transgender rights row - saying 'a woman is someone with a vagina'.

Anne added that she was aghast at what she called the lack of 'safety' in women-only spaces such as changing rooms at swimming pools. She said that she is worried about the allowing of transgender people who have not undergone sex reassignment surgery into these spaces.

'I'm horrified by the lack of safety in women's changing rooms, at swimming pools and that sort of thing. The most interesting statistic is that the amount of trans [people] who actually surgically get altered is miniscule. So you are talking about men in women's changing rooms.'
Anne told the Telegraph she had never met anyone 'who hates the idea that we can define a woman with common sense.

'I've never met this person that's so angry. I suspect they're angry [anyway] and this has been quite good to latch on to.'

The comments on this are 99% in agreement with her. Wonder if she'll be cancelled for having the audacity to point out the obvious?