Gransnet forums

News & politics

9th May 1945

(8 Posts)
Callistemon21 Mon 02-May-22 14:22:32

On a radio broadcast on May 9 1945 Stalin announced:
"Glory to our heroic Red Army, which upheld the independence of our Motherland and won victory over the enemy!"

This year, the Kremlin promises a parade on May 9 with 11,000 servicemen and women plus 62 aeroplanes and 15 helicopters. Eight MiG-29s will form the letter Z, the symbol adopted by supporters of Russia's invasion of Ukraine.

The irony must be lost on Putin.

NanKate Mon 02-May-22 14:49:38

I’ve read Callistemon21 that Putin could well be in hospital for cancer surgery soon even on the 9th, however he has sorted one of his evil henchmen to take over until he returns.

I also heard on the News that if this cruel War continues he will have to muster more Conscripts to take over and many Russian families will know what happen to the first group of conscripts and may protest.

How can the Russian people be so brainwashed by this tyrant ? I despair.

volver Mon 02-May-22 14:57:31

One of his "evil henchmen"?

It's not a James Bond film. angry

Callistemon21 Mon 02-May-22 15:30:53

I’ve read Callistemon21 that Putin could well be in hospital for cancer surgery soon even on the 9th
Oh dear .........

How can the Russian people be so brainwashed by this tyrant? I despair.
Even those who aren't hardly dare speak out.

NanKate Mon 02-May-22 16:01:04

Volver I used the word henchmen meaning ‘ a faithful follower or political supporter, especially one prepared to engage in crime or violence by way of service’ as the only way I could easily describe his followers.

The last thing I would ever do is compare this dreadful war to a James Bond film.

volver Mon 02-May-22 16:03:50

I know NanKate, but it just sounds so preposterous in this context. Like an episode of Scooby Doo. Sorry. flowers

geekesse Mon 02-May-22 22:01:51

Well, if his troops and military equipment are parading in Moscow, at least they won’t be troubling Ukraine that day.

Callistemon21 Mon 02-May-22 22:06:07

Russian population: approximately 144 million.
Army personnel: Approximately 900,000
+ 2 million reservists