Gransnet forums

News & politics

The loss of freedom of speech, of sidelining women and biology

(874 Posts)
DiamondLily Thu 12-May-22 12:47:27

I've been asked to repost this:

'Julie Bindel had a pretty horrendous time whilst delivering a (previously postponed) lecture to York University's Free Speech Society.

The activists, who say we must be "all be kind" didn't display much courtesy or kindness to her.?

She was abused, accused, screamed at, and had placards thrust in her face. The TW mob were out in force, and she was "invited" to kiss their "man-boobs" and told things she could do with their "trans d*cks".

www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-10806353/JULIE-BINDEL-explains-female-students-bullied-hearing-feminists.html

Meanwhile, in the Court case involving Alison Bailey, Stonewall tell us that there are no such things as male and female bodies. They don't exist...?

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10807211/We-not-inherently-male-female-Stonewall-campaigner-says-bodies-just-bodies.html

It sure is a funny old world out there in Trans La-La land.

Doodledog Tue 11-Oct-22 18:25:26

More good news about turning worms.

Julie Bindel has won her case against Nottingham Council. We had a thread at the time, which I can't find, but JB was banned from giving a talk at Apsley Library (about violence against women and girls) because she had previously spoken up about women's rights being eroded by the trans lobby, and the council felt that her views were 'at odds' with the council's policy.

See more here.

Mollygo Wed 06-Jul-22 17:41:27

Really good news. Perhaps it needed Fina to be brave enough to take the first step.

MerylStreep Wed 06-Jul-22 16:27:42

And there’s more ???

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10987627/Tax-expert-lost-job-tweeting-men-women-WINS-fresh-employment-tribunal.html

MerylStreep Wed 06-Jul-22 16:20:14

Link to the judgement.

www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/uploads/2022/07/Forstater-JR-AG.pdf

FarNorth Wed 06-Jul-22 14:57:18

Men whose capabilities are reduced by illness, age or medication other than trans hormones, are not allowed to join the women's category and there's no reason to let men who are transwomen do so.

FarNorth Wed 06-Jul-22 14:54:11

That is excellent news about Triathlon Stormystar.

Chewbacca Wed 06-Jul-22 14:47:41

And common sense is fast becoming a rare commodity nanna8 smile

nanna8 Wed 06-Jul-22 14:45:04

Oh, that is so good and so rare that commonsense has prevailed for once!

Stormystar Wed 06-Jul-22 14:42:19

Yes fantastic news! And I’ve just read that the Triathlon is the first British sport to ban All transgender women from competing in female events at both elite and grassroots levels. Yippee!! they are changing the mens category to Open, after having concluded that Triathlon is a gender -affected sport. Thank goodness for fairness, common sense, and science prevailing.

Smileless2012 Wed 06-Jul-22 14:30:05

Great news.

Sandybeth Wed 06-Jul-22 14:25:27

Fantastic news! I have copied Maya’s response so that I can quote it in the future.

Doodledog Wed 06-Jul-22 14:24:58

Oh, that's excellent.

I'm just watching a recording of PMQs, and it really does feel like there is a glimpse of light now, after a long period in the darkness. A change of direction on women's rights would be the icing on the cake.

Iam64 Wed 06-Jul-22 14:22:59

?. Good news

Chewbacca Wed 06-Jul-22 14:18:05

Only just seen the news and I'm delighted she's won! Another light at the end of the tunnel.

FarNorth Wed 06-Jul-22 12:01:17

It's fantastic news ?????

Galaxy Wed 06-Jul-22 11:36:40

Oh Farnorth you have made my day.

FarNorth Wed 06-Jul-22 11:27:31

Maya Forstater's press statement:

mforstater.medium.com/press-statement-maya-forstaters-victory-in-employment-tribunal-a-win-for-free-speech-and-99365009baa1

"The Tribunal also recognised that Ms Forstater had been entitled to criticise those holding an opposite view to her, and had done so legitimately. The Tribunal found in particular that the mere fact that offence may be taken to a particular statement was not sufficient to render it incapable of legal protection. This included describing opposing views as “stupid, dangerous or unfair” and the statement that allowing male-bodied individuals access to women-only spaces gave rise to “an increase in risks, threats and discomfort” to women."

FarNorth Wed 06-Jul-22 11:18:21

Maya Forstater has won her Employment Tribunal case !

www.judiciary.uk/judgments/maya-forstater-v-cgd-europe-center-for-global-development-masood-ahmed/

Doodledog Wed 06-Jul-22 10:27:52

I couldn't agree more, FN. It's hard to imagine how people would react if they were told they couldn't call themselves British, or Asian, or black/white/brown, or whatever (I was going to say 'mother' or 'father', but caught myself on), yet those things are, arguably, all less integral to one's sense of self than one's sex.

FarNorth Wed 06-Jul-22 10:06:10

From an opinion piece in the New York Times.

Women didn’t fight this long and this hard only to be told we couldn’t call ourselves women anymore. This isn’t just a semantic issue; it’s also a question of moral harm, an affront to our very sense of ourselves.

www.nytimes.com/2022/07/03/opinion/the-far-right-and-far-left-agree-on-one-thing-women-dont-count.html?fbclid=IwAR0BDmCo9x8gE-xfTrRGCJFgqHNNdwmd4No7d8WanGOetwCXqzMUDIrLTrM

NanKate Mon 04-Jul-22 17:43:12

??

Wheniwasyourage Mon 04-Jul-22 17:42:38

Hope so. It's time the pendulum started swinging back. ?

Doodledog Mon 04-Jul-22 11:16:57

Smileless2012

Great news. Is it just me, or are we seeing some real positives?

No, I think so too. As Shakespeare said 'The smallest worm will turn being trodden on' - and women are tied of being trodden on.

Smileless2012 Mon 04-Jul-22 10:38:55

Great news. Is it just me, or are we seeing some real positives?

FarNorth Mon 04-Jul-22 10:06:10

Excellent.
Now they just have to sort out compulsory sharing in existing buildings.