Gransnet forums

News & politics

Jack Monroe

(66 Posts)
MaizieD Sat 14-May-22 11:30:34

I found this blog by Jack Monroe in my morning twitter trawl.

It is not only a powerful piece, but also beautifully written with a awe inspiring command of the English language. This woman is an absolute star.

I had thought of posting it on one of the food bank threads but I think it deserves one of its own. Everyone should read it.

cookingonabootstrap.com/2022/05/12/whats-the-difference-between-jack-monroe-suggesting-budget-recipes-and-a-tory-mp/

volver Sat 14-May-22 15:14:33

Got a good lawyer Maudi?

Maudi Sat 14-May-22 15:15:04

Oh well I take it all back if that is the case and the money from the cookbooks is going to charity. Any evidence this is true?

Chocolatelovinggran Sat 14-May-22 15:15:09

MissA- like you, I'm looking forward to the TV series " Eating plan for the idle poor" ' catchy title, don't you think?

Whitewavemark2 Sat 14-May-22 15:15:56

She is sueing

MissAdventure Sat 14-May-22 15:16:38

She is, and I hope she sues the arse off those lying about her.
It's just a shame the lies are spread on here all too often.

Callistemon21 Sat 14-May-22 15:17:50

kircubbin2000

I think she is very mean to threaten Lee Anderson. She started the row by calling him names and he answered back.It was terrible what she did to Katy Hopkins. She is very touchy perhaps due to her claim to be autistic and disabled.

Oh dear, poor, poor Katie. Should we start a fund?

Well now I've got my breath back.
???

MissAdventure Sat 14-May-22 15:19:13

Chocolatelovinggran

MissA- like you, I'm looking forward to the TV series " Eating plan for the idle poor" ' catchy title, don't you think?

Oh I can't wait, babe.
If me eyebrows didn't need microblading I'd apply to go on, myself.
I'll just have to watch it on my 96 inch tv while I eat a takeaway. wink

Whitewavemark2 Sat 14-May-22 15:19:42

I didn’t know she came from Essex?

Lucca Sat 14-May-22 15:24:23

How anybody can have sympathy for Katie Hopkins is beyond me. Remember her snobbish rant about children named after places eg Brooklyn etc ? The Philip schofield asked her what her daughter is called ? India?

Lucca Sat 14-May-22 15:25:42

MissAdventure

Chocolatelovinggran

Oh I can't wait, babe.
If me eyebrows didn't need microblading I'd apply to go on, myself.
I'll just have to watch it on my 96 inch tv while I eat a takeaway. wink

Don’t forget your unnecessary mobile phone….

( that’s the one without which you can’t apply for jobs or fill in forms……)

MissAdventure Sat 14-May-22 15:26:05

I was just talking to my mate Bognor-Regis about that the other day...
We call her Bog for short.

Callistemon21 Sat 14-May-22 15:36:24

Lucca

How anybody can have sympathy for Katie Hopkins is beyond me. Remember her snobbish rant about children named after places eg Brooklyn etc ? The Philip schofield asked her what her daughter is called ? India?

???

Blondiescot Sat 14-May-22 15:41:15

Maudi

I agree with Lee Anderson Jack Monroe is making money off the backs of the poor flogging her cook books at £11+ a time you can't hide the facts and she's made herself rich, good for her.

Oh, please - get your facts right! For every cookbook she's sold, she's given away hundreds to food banks right across the country. Many of her recipes are available for free on her website. She's already taken issue with similar commenters on Twitter who've made unfounded claims about her supposed wealth, so I'd be very careful what you say. I've absolutely no idea why some people seem so determined to knock her, when at least she is putting her words into action and actually doing something to help those most vulnerable in our society.

Maudi Sat 14-May-22 15:53:43

Good for her if she is giving the proceeds of her cookery books to charity. They are on Amazon for about £11 a book which even I think is rather expensive, but if the money is going to charity OK I suppose.

DiamondLily Sat 14-May-22 15:59:50

She doesn't actually like to be referred to as a woman. She's trans.

www.theguardian.com/society/2016/jul/24/jack-monroe-i-want-to-be-treated-as-a-person-not-a-woman-or-a-man-interview-transgender-identity

GrannyGravy13 Sat 14-May-22 16:01:54

DiamondLily

She doesn't actually like to be referred to as a woman. She's trans.

www.theguardian.com/society/2016/jul/24/jack-monroe-i-want-to-be-treated-as-a-person-not-a-woman-or-a-man-interview-transgender-identity

I think she identifies as non-binary

Whitewavemark2 Sat 14-May-22 16:06:50

So should that be “it” identifies as non binary?”

Shows how old I’m getting!

MissAdventure Sat 14-May-22 16:08:32

They identify, I think. All one of them.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 14-May-22 16:09:27

MissAdventure

They identify, I think. All one of them.

Eh!!

MissAdventure Sat 14-May-22 16:11:53

grin

Blinko Sat 14-May-22 16:16:21

Jack Monroe has long been a hero of mine. Can't believe there are people on here ready to diss her/them. Some people's heads must be differently attached, where are they coming from? People would rather go along with the likes of MP Lee whatsisname and Katie Hopkins. Un-bee-lievable!

Rock on, JM!

Chardy Sat 14-May-22 16:35:42

'Publisher Bluebird has also distributed 50,000 recipe cards featuring the book’s dishes and will aim to put donation points for the charity at every event on Monroe’s tour schedule and at its own reception.'
www.thebookseller.com/news/monroe-sends-over-6000-copies-new-book-food-banks-after-crowdfunder-1013181

Her blog has also given foodbanks permission to photocopy her recipes for their recipients.

HousePlantQueen Sat 14-May-22 17:56:02

Maudi

I agree with Lee Anderson Jack Monroe is making money off the backs of the poor flogging her cook books at £11+ a time you can't hide the facts and she's made herself rich, good for her.

And that post, readers, is why this country is in such a mess. Liars are one thing, but the fools defending them are quite another.

HousePlantQueen Sat 14-May-22 18:02:32

MissAdventure

She is, and I hope she sues the arse off those lying about her.
It's just a shame the lies are spread on here all too often.

She should sue the arse off the posters on GN who repeat unfounded malicious statements just because it suits their politics. Some of you should be seriously ashamed of yourselves; an opinion is fine, libel is not. Why are you so frightened of Ms Monroe? Is it because she tells the unpalatable truth?

OakDryad Sat 14-May-22 18:31:25

Remember that if a paperbook sells for £11.00 the author only receives 7.5% in royalties. That would be 82p before tax, 74p after tax.

Her recipes are free on her blog site:

cookingonabootstrap.com/category/recipes-food/

This too:

www.theguardian.com/books/2019/may/31/jack-monroe-appeal-sends-thousands-of-cookbooks-to-food-banks

www.gofundme.com/f/donate-tin-can-cook-to-foodbanks

Jack identifies as non-binary as either she or they. I have used she in my posts rather than they to differentiate between Monroe and Anderson or Monroe and (Anderson and Daubney).