Gransnet forums

News & politics

Jack Monroe

(66 Posts)
MaizieD Sat 14-May-22 11:30:34

I found this blog by Jack Monroe in my morning twitter trawl.

It is not only a powerful piece, but also beautifully written with a awe inspiring command of the English language. This woman is an absolute star.

I had thought of posting it on one of the food bank threads but I think it deserves one of its own. Everyone should read it.

cookingonabootstrap.com/2022/05/12/whats-the-difference-between-jack-monroe-suggesting-budget-recipes-and-a-tory-mp/

MissAdventure Sat 14-May-22 18:39:00

Someone who has lifted themself out of poverty, and has been beaten down by the people who should be extolling her resourcefulness and wish to help others.
Beggars belief.

Redhead56 Sat 14-May-22 20:43:51

I have cooked some of the recipes and they have turned out great especially for families. Simple uncomplicated recipes I pass on to my family who like me and my husband share the cooking.

dogsmother Sat 14-May-22 21:47:52

MaizieD so I’m a gossip. I read it! Don’t recall where so can’t link for you apologies for that.

MaizieD Sat 14-May-22 23:13:32

dogsmother

MaizieD so I’m a gossip. I read it! Don’t recall where so can’t link for you apologies for that.

I think that the gossip has been well and truly proved to be wrong now by previous posters.

I hope you'll correct anyone else who gets it wrong grin

Deedaa Sat 14-May-22 23:23:53

What a pleasant few months it's been with no mention of the hideous Katie Hopkins. I should have known it was too good to last. What a deeply unpleasant woman she is.

OakDryad Sat 14-May-22 23:37:08

I wonder if Anderson is now reflecting on (or has the capacity to reflect on) the storm he has unleashed with his slanderous comments and what a formidable opponent he has taken on.

I’d barely heard of him until this week but it’s had me looking for background and it’s not pretty.

Anderson has fallen out with many of his former comrades in the local Labour party. Anne Ayres, the branch secretary for Sutton West in Ashfield, who worked closely with him, said: “He doesn’t engage his brain before opening his mouth.”

www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/nov/29/tory-caught-staging-doorstep-chat-is-odious-sexist-says-anna-soubry

And now, bizarrely, he’s helping to promote Laurence Fox’s Reclaim party. Why would a Conservative MP do that?

Stephen Daisley in The Spectator:

www.spectator.co.uk/article/why-is-lee-anderson-boosting-laurence-fox-s-reclaim-

Are Reclaim taking him for a fool to stoke their anti-woke agenda? It’s odd that their own mission statement claims Reclaim … believes hard work should be rewarded. And yet they seem affronted that Monroe may have made a reasonable living from selling her books. Her recipes are free online.

Sometimes the poor are praised for being thrifty. But to recommend thrift to the poor is both grotesque and insulting. It is like advising a man who is starving to eat less. Oscar Wilde

… which is what Anderson’s contrived claims about 30p meals and conditional foodbank aid effectively is.

vegansrock Sun 15-May-22 06:20:56

I think the tory suggestions of how to deal with the cost of living crisis - to buy value brands / to wear jumpers / to learn how to cook is beyond ridiculous. Maybe Rishi Sunak’s tip is to turn the temperature down on your swimming pool or Johnson’s is to get someone else to pay for your wallpaper. I’m with JM on this one - call out those hateful liars.

Dickens Sun 15-May-22 07:33:14

HousePlantQueen

MissAdventure

She is, and I hope she sues the arse off those lying about her.
It's just a shame the lies are spread on here all too often.

She should sue the arse off the posters on GN who repeat unfounded malicious statements just because it suits their politics. Some of you should be seriously ashamed of yourselves; an opinion is fine, libel is not. Why are you so frightened of Ms Monroe? Is it because she tells the unpalatable truth?

Why are you so frightened of Ms Monroe? Is it because she tells the unpalatable truth?

Jack has beaten them at their own game, that's why they dislike her.

The poor should learn to cook, manage a budget, get a job, work hard, blah, blah, blah.

Well that's exactly what she's done. And become famous for it. And they hate her because of it - hate is not too strong a word to use either because she regularly gets rape and death threats.

No one will be reviled as much as a poor person who's beaten all the odds. And if that person has an opinion and a good grasp of the English language with which to express it - then God help her/they or him. All the tax avoiding wealthy elite who do damned all to help their fellow men will never elicit as much vitriol as a poor individual who's pulled themselves up by their bootstraps and become successful in their own right, and who has helped her fellow-men (many of her recipes are free online to download and they are copied and handed out at food banks).

People like Hopkins and Anderson make false claims about her, and she takes them on because she's a feisty individual who won't take things lying down. And when the claims are proved to to be false - where does the sympathy lie? With the accusers, because Jack is being "mean" to them. hmm

That's where we're at. That's the kind of society we live in.

Dickens Sun 15-May-22 08:22:32

Jack has beaten them at their own game, that's why they dislike her.

The poor should learn to cook, manage a budget, get a job, work hard, blah, blah, blah.

Well that's exactly what she's done. And become famous for it. And they hate her because of it - hate is not too strong a word to use either because she regularly gets rape and death threats.

I'd just like to make it clear that I'm not specifically accusing anyone on GN with these comments. I think we're generally more civilised, and I doubt any 'gran' would be issuing death threats, regardless of their 'anti-Jack' sentiment.

My comments are aimed at the wider demographic of JM detractors. I've seen some of the abuse she gets online on other SM platforms, it's quite shocking and startling.

OakDryad Sun 15-May-22 09:55:33

Is anyone listening to Broadcasting House with Jane Garvey? Anderson doesn't do himself any favours, does he? Verbally attacking Garvey and the BBC from the start. Worth listening to for Martin Lewis's passionate response.

volver Sun 15-May-22 10:04:45

Listening right now OakDryad.

He certainly doesn't do himself any favours. What an unpleasant man.

Dinahmo Mon 16-May-22 09:46:18

Maudi

Good for her if she is giving the proceeds of her cookery books to charity. They are on Amazon for about £11 a book which even I think is rather expensive, but if the money is going to charity OK I suppose.

Try looking again. There's very few books on Amazon (hardcover) at £10 and many of those have been reduced. Paul Hollywood started at £26 and Raymond Blanc at £25. Both have been reduced.

I treated myself to a (very large) book by Giorgio Locatelli for my 60th birthday which cost £27.99 15 years ago. So £11 is fairly cheap.

volver Mon 16-May-22 09:57:50

Just so that people are aware...

She and her lawyers are screenshotting libellous/slanderous things that they see online to support their case.

She's already been on Mumsnet.

Worth remembering that what you say has consequences, wouldn't you agree?

HousePlantQueen Mon 16-May-22 10:11:53

Good. Saying these things is bad enough but the people who just repeat it znd spread the malicious libel are just as bad.

OakDryad Mon 16-May-22 10:56:23

Agreed volver. I've just taken a quick look at the Mumsnet thread. So much ignorance and assumption.

I don't understand the logic behind Anderson's slanderous statement. How is selling a book, royalties in pennies, taking advantage of the buyer?

Are, say, Joe Wicks and Michael Moseley taking advantage of people who wish to lose weight and improve their health? Is every writer who sells a book about coping with bereavement taking advantage of the bereaved? Is every writer of a text book taking advantage of an impoverished student?

His is an illogical and spurious argument.

Furthermore, books are there to entertain and educate. Isn't Monroe doing exactly what Anderson claims to do in "his" foodbank (i.e. educate) only on a much wider scale? Her books not only educate but provide jobs and put money (and tax revenue) into the economy via publishers, graphic designers, photographers, printers, booksellers, indeed the whole supply chain involved ... so people can work to earn money to buy food.