Gransnet forums

News & politics

What a brave lad! ⚽️?‍❤️‍?

(36 Posts)
FannyCornforth Tue 17-May-22 07:36:57

Jake Daniels who plays for Blackpool has announced that he is gay.
He’s only 17.
What a brilliant day for footballhttps://inews.co.uk/news/blackpool-footballer-comes-out-jake-daniels-gay-1633525

kittylester Tue 17-May-22 07:54:15

Isn't he just.

DiamondLily Tue 17-May-22 07:57:32

I remember Justin Fashanu doing the same, years ago.

Even his own brother, John, "disowned" him, and he later committed suicide.

Thankfully, life and times have moved on now, and it really shouldn't make any difference to anyone - teammates or supporters.

Good for him.?

kittylester Tue 17-May-22 08:00:14

I hope his bravery encourages the others to 'come out' too.

NannyJan53 Tue 17-May-22 08:00:34

Brave lad, but surely there is no need for anyone to have to 'come out' these days? There is no true inclusivity until that happens.

FannyCornforth Tue 17-May-22 08:03:11

Sadly, Jan, in football there is every need.
But I agree with you in general.
I think that in many areas of society we are nearly there.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 17-May-22 08:06:44

I think make sport is the last bastion of old fashioned maleness

I think he is very brave and I hope he gets the support he may need from any club he plays for.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 17-May-22 08:07:03

*make should be *male ?

Kandinsky Tue 17-May-22 08:08:15

I don’t know why anyone has to ‘come out’ either? - who cares?

FannyCornforth Tue 17-May-22 08:10:59

I should imagine that a lot of young gay men - gay sportsmen especially ‘care’.
Ditto gay fans.
The story of Justin Fashanu is still one that shames the sport world.

M0nica Tue 17-May-22 08:11:51

My admiration for this young man is immense, but how dreadful that nearly a quarter of the way into the 21st century, for a young gay professional footballer to admit he is gay is headline news. Surely by now this should be something that is just accepted in the way we would accept that someone has curly hair or brown eyes.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 17-May-22 08:13:59

FannyCornforth

I should imagine that a lot of young gay men - gay sportsmen especially ‘care’.
Ditto gay fans.
The story of Justin Fashanu is still one that shames the sport world.

Totally agree with you Fanny Cornforth

It may seem ok to be gay in many areas/jobs in 2022 but make sport is not one of them.

I felt emotional when I read his statement, just as I did when the welsh rugby player came out several years ago, they are brave men breaking down barriers which in 2022 should no longer be there or matter.

FannyCornforth Tue 17-May-22 08:17:50

Great posts Monica and GGravy
Jake must have an incredibly supportive and loving family
(I hope that this is the case; I’d be surprised if it isn’t.)
They must be so proud

Blondiescot Tue 17-May-22 08:23:33

I hope to see the day when this is no longer an issue. I have total admiration for him, but I also find it sad that there are still barriers which need to be broken.

Grandma70s Tue 17-May-22 08:28:54

It’s astonishing that this is news. Some people are gay. I thought we all knew that.

The football world must be even more backward than I thought. Very sad.

Kandinsky Tue 17-May-22 08:34:10

I don’t understand why a child being gay should make a parent proud?
I have a few gay friends ( male & female ) & their parents don’t treat them any differently from their siblings.
I’ll never understand why a sexual preference should make someone worthy of praise.
But then I see everyone as equal.
Statistically, there’s probably 100’s of gay footballers in the top leagues, they just don’t feel the need to broadcast it. & why should they. Someone’s personal life should be just that - personal.

kittylester Tue 17-May-22 08:50:14

I think &fanny* is saying his family must be proud that he openly admitted to being gay - I'm sure they love him anyway.

And, obviously there will be 100s of gay footballers in the top leagues but they keep it hidden. Hopefully, this will help them be honest.

He said on TV this morning that such a weight was lifted from his shoulders after he told his family that he scored 4 goals in his next game.

FannyCornforth Tue 17-May-22 08:50:59

Proud of him for being brave, not proud of him for being gay.

It isn’t because they ‘don’t want to announce it’ that we aren’t aware of the ‘100s of footballers’ who are homosexual.

It’s due to the rampant homophobia in the clubs and on the terraces.

I didn’t know that this needed any explanation

Grammaretto Tue 17-May-22 08:51:46

I also think it a shame that ones sexual orientation needs to be announced but perhaps I am the slow one?
For a long time anyone interviewed by journalists are described by their age or maybe as "father of 2"
Is that by implication mean they aren't gay?

In the world of football it probably is still very important to show the world that the cissy, mother's boy, bachelor of the bad old days can also play first division football.

When a df came out to his parents in the 1970s, his dm was sad but certainly didn't disown him. She was sad for how he would be treated by society and that she wouldn't have grandchildren. She got over it!

FannyCornforth Tue 17-May-22 08:52:32

Thank you Kitty, yes, that’s exactly what I meant.
That’s a nice bit of information; about the 4 goals! smile

GrannyGravy13 Tue 17-May-22 08:55:57

It’s strange that there are many gay females in professional football, rugby, hockey and it’s not a big deal.

We can only hope that male sport at high level will give their collective heads a wobble and become inclusive whatever your sexual identity.

It shouldn’t be news in 2022 but because of outdated ideas but unfortunately it is.

FannyCornforth Tue 17-May-22 08:58:15

Grammaretto I’m reminded of when you would read at the end of an obituary the line, ‘they never married’.
Of course, it was a euphemism for being homosexual.
Such a sad reminder of a lives led in secret.

I recall in the 80’s my mom and I would often see locally, a very elderly, well spoken, well dressed gentleman.
He always seemed incredibly, awfully sad.
My mom explained that she was almost certain that it was because he was gay and couldn’t live the life that he wanted to.
It’s really not that long ago that it was illegal to be gay.

Luckygirl3 Tue 17-May-22 09:05:32

Roll on the day when it is not even necessary to make such an announcement - it is a private matter.

And roll on the day when we do not have to regard him as brave, but just as a fellow citizen getting on with his life.

fairfraise Tue 17-May-22 09:06:51

I don't know why this is headline news nowadays, when you think of how gay men, two friends of mine felt they had to keep quiet about it in the 70s.

fairfraise Tue 17-May-22 09:08:04

But there was no social media then so less comments about it.