Gransnet forums

News & politics

48 hours in modern Britain…. ***title edited by GNHQ on OP's request***

(63 Posts)
volver Fri 20-May-22 09:19:30

An MP has been requested not to attend Parliament because he is under investigation for sexual offences and a different MP has to take down an offensive tweet about it.

An MP tells people who are suffering under the cost of living crisis that they need to work more hours or get a better paying job.

The Secretary of State for Culture and so on told a select committee about how she shares her Netflix password with her family, before her sidekick told her that was against the rules. The same Secretary of State said 96% of the public support the privatisation of Ch4 when the poll she was talking about shows its actually 96% that are against.

The Chancellor and his wife are now on the UK Rich List, first time ever for a frontline politician, but he told us that when it comes to helping people on low incomes, “computer says no”.

The PM is seen to attend illegal parties but apparently didn’t do anything illegal himself, but the junior civil servants who were there are apparently not blessed with this near-magical power to avoid prosecution.

We are planning to break international law on Rwanda and go back on a treaty on NI that was signed just two years ago.

Why are we not on the streets? What’s happened?

Whitewavemark2 Fri 20-May-22 11:10:11

I also note that Dorries is making a spectacular fool of herself answering to the select committee.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 20-May-22 11:13:49

Nancy Pelosi
@SpeakerPelosi
It is deeply concerning that the United Kingdom now seeks to unilaterally discard the Northern Ireland Protocol, which preserves the important progress and stability forged by the Accords. It continues to enjoy strong bipartisan & bicameral support in the United States Congress.

The Good Friday Accords are the bedrock of peace in Northern Ireland and a beacon of hope for the world. Ensuring there is no physical border between the Irish Republic and Northern Ireland is necessary for upholding this landmark agreement, which transformed Northern Ireland.

As I have stated in my conversations with the Prime Minister, the Foreign Secretary & Members of the House of Commons, if the United Kingdom chooses to undermine the Good Friday Accords, the Congress cannot & will not support a bilateral free trade agreement with the U.K.

The children of Northern Ireland, who have never known the bloody conflict and do not want to go back, deserve a future free of the violence where all may reach their fulfillment.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 20-May-22 11:14:44

Peter Kyle MP

These comments aren’t made as part of the Special Relationship - the United States is a co-guarantor of the Belfast/Good Friday Agreement.

They have a duty and legal right to speak in its defence.

There is a way forward: negotiation and statecraft. Do the hard work

Whitewavemark2 Fri 20-May-22 11:17:54

Truss and Johnson being pressured by the DUP who scammed £1.5bn of taxpayers money are not telling the truth (what is new?)

“The protocol is working. There is no hard border between north and south. The EU single market is protected, as is the Republic of Ireland’s place in it. Northern Ireland is outperforming the UK economically and north-south trade has increased.”

Zonne Fri 20-May-22 11:20:09

What worries me is how inured people are becoming to this level of incompetence, corruption, abuse of power, and mendacity.

It damages the whole body politic, and both directly, through legislation, and indirectly, through the drip feed of mis- and dis-information via a largely compliant media, it is undermining what passes for democracy here

I think Brexit is entirely relevant, because there seem to be a still surprisingly large number of people who think that ‘getting Brexit done’ (even though it clearly is not even close) justifies anything this government does.

OakDryad Fri 20-May-22 11:31:45

No 1 in Laurence W. Britten's description of the fourteen common characteristics of fascist regimes:

1. Powerful and continuing expressions of nationalism. From the prominent displays of flags and bunting to the ubiquitous lapel pins, the fervor to show patriotic nationalism, both on the part of the regime itself and of citizens caught up in its frenzy, was always obvious. Catchy slogans, pride in the military, and demands for unity were common themes in expressing this nationalism. It was usually coupled with a suspicion of things foreign that often bordered on xenophobia.

Slogans we have had from the Tories:

Take back control
Forward together
Strong and stable
Get Brexit Done
Unleash Britain's Potential and

Britain Deserves Better

It certainly does.

MaizieD Fri 20-May-22 11:51:42

No 1 in Laurence W. Britten's description of the fourteen common characteristics of fascist regimes:

Are you going to do the lot, OakDryad? grin

I, and some others, have been using the 'F' word on here for a couple of years. Mostly to be scorned by the hard of thinking...

Whitewavemark2 Fri 20-May-22 12:05:50

I see that it has been ruled that the Rwanda scheme is illegal under the Geneva Convention 1951.

Our parent’s generation knew a thing or two didn’t they?

This lot know bugger all.

paddyann54 Fri 20-May-22 12:13:09

So what about the 6 that is SIX naval ships reclining in the south waiting for parts so they can be operational ,URM OR the crossrail "Elizabeth line" thats 5 years late and billions over cost ,,or theres HS2 that hasn't been built yet and is over budget already .
Theres a whole catalogue of things the same as these BUT they are the respnsibility of your ENGLISH government ...we dont get a say in any of them BUT we pay @10% of the costs for them ...even though we dont need them ,wont use them and they dont come near Scotland ..and lets not forget Bojo's Garden Bridge ..when DID that open ..oops it didn't or his Water Cannon...oh they were illegal to use ...
Clean up your own backyard please and stop blaming us for the state your not so great Britain is in !!
ps.Nicola Sturgeon paid a visit to the USA this week..she was warm;y welcomed by top politicians ,spoke to Brookings about the cimate emergency and renewables ( you do know SCOTLAND is a frontrunner in those) and Nancy Pelosi introduced her as Madam FM who is an inspiration to young women ,amonsgt other lovely things.
Bet you didn't see any of THAT in the Right wing media ..less than 5 minutes on the EBC .I do wonder why Westminster feels the need to manipulate the press ?

Dinahmo Fri 20-May-22 12:20:11

Whitewavemark2

Urmstongran

Obama said we’d be at the ‘back of the queue’. Surprisingly we still voted for it.

That is because you believed the propaganda - remember project fear and the thousands of lies.

I’m sure you are not quite so naive now and have given it some intelligent thought and reached your own conclusion rather than what you were told would be true.

Wishful thinking. Some people will never admit that Brexit hasn't/won't be good for the country.

DiamondLily Fri 20-May-22 14:05:18

The silly illegal water cannons, and non existent Garden bridge, along with a stream of other nonsensical Johnson vanity projects, were paid for by Londoners.

He was London Mayor, at the time.

Westminster had nothing to do with it. There are still internal investigations going on as to what happened to shed loads of GLA money, during his tenure.

Urmstongran Fri 20-May-22 14:10:36

ps.Nicola Sturgeon paid a visit to the USA this week..she was warm;y welcomed by top politicians ,spoke to Brookings about the cimate emergency and renewables ( you do know SCOTLAND is a frontrunner in those) and Nancy Pelosi introduced her as Madam FM who is an inspiration to young women ,amonsgt other lovely things.
Bet you didn't see any of THAT in the Right wing media

I did actually paddyanne but more was made in the Telegraph on this as to how Sturgeon had annoyed the Scottish Green Party with regards to her stance on NATO. I was going to start a thread on it ....
?
But then thought ‘nah, I’ll give it a rest for a while’.

volver Fri 20-May-22 14:17:06

paddyann54 DH and I wondered why the BBC hadn't reported much on Nicola in the US but then we remembered who the BBC's North America Editor is. wink

Sorry everyone, off topic.

But too good not to mention...

Urmstongran Fri 20-May-22 14:19:46

Maybe more because of this?
Her remit is administering local rules in Scotland.
Putin is not her remit.Nato is not her remit.
Affairs of the UK constitution are not her remit.

When she opens her mouth and spouts an opinion about the above she has no legitimate authority to do so on behalf of anyone bar herself.
It's her personal opinion.
A troublemaker

Zonne Fri 20-May-22 14:20:00

…more was made in the Telegraph on this as to how Sturgeon had annoyed the Scottish Green Party with regards to her stance on NATO

Yes, I bet it was.

Urmstongran Fri 20-May-22 14:21:31

It was true though Zonne the Scottish Greens weren’t impressed by N Sturgeon’s comments.

DiamondLily Fri 20-May-22 14:25:36

I don't think it matters much any more. The way it's going, it won't be that long before the four countries of the UK will all want to just stand alone.

Northern Ireland are heading that way, and, according to NS, Scotland want another referendum, and Wales probably will before long.

There are also those English who would prefer that England was just on its own.?

Zonne Fri 20-May-22 14:26:49

It’s been 10 years since the SNP became pro-NATO membership. And during that ten years, they and the Greens have continued to work closely together.

So it’s not news, and it’s not a big deal - certainly not as big as Sturgeon’s reception in the US - and the Torygraph is another that needs its wooden spoon removing.

volver Fri 20-May-22 14:30:03

In a proper democracy where different parties are in coalition, and where compromises are expected, two different parts of the government will undoubtedly have disagreements about policy. But in the FPTP system so loved by the Conservatives and their 80 seat majority, what Big Dog wants, Big Dog gets.

Meanwhile those who prize muscular leaders saying "My way or the highway" will never understand that negotiations about all sorts of things are good for governments, and hence good for the people.

paddyann54 Fri 20-May-22 15:38:40

you do know Urm that only 8 members of Nato have nukes so when we have yours removed from our country we'll be in good company in fact there will be at least another two Norway and Finland
Nicola Sturgeon is the ELECTED representative of Scotland who has a mandate for Independence .She's NOT a troublemaker shes doing what WE pay her to do
You know in the same way you wanted Bojo to get Brexit done!

volver Fri 20-May-22 17:54:54

Crikey. It's Kenneth Branagh!

www.theguardian.com/culture/2022/may/18/kenneth-branagh-as-boris-johnson-revealed-in-this-england-teaser

Whitewavemark2 Sun 22-May-22 09:06:46

More good Brexit news

Whitewavemark2 Mon 23-May-22 14:44:35

Remember

?

“Britain is not Nazi Germany.

Nazi Germany was not Nazi Germany until it became Nazi Germany.

It became Nazi Germany because a lot of people mistook an assault on human rights and democracy as a patriotic project that would restore national pride.”

Whitewavemark2 Mon 23-May-22 14:59:31

I see that a disaster charity has been invited by WSCC to help the lorry drivers stuck on the M20.

Brexit queues.

DiamondLily Mon 23-May-22 15:34:01

Whitewavemark2

I see that a disaster charity has been invited by WSCC to help the lorry drivers stuck on the M20.

Brexit queues.

Now, you know we are not allowed to blame Brexit for anything bad.

It's been wonderful.???

We can have little blue passports, if France and Poland get on with it, although travelling anywhere is a nightmare.

We have food rotting in fields, because the farmers can't get labourers, but that's good, because we are too fat anyway.

Farmers, fishermen and manufacturers are going nuts because the extra red tape and rules have thrown them under the bus - but they probably needed to fill out more forms, and pay more anyway.

There is now a massive shortage in NHS and care workers, but the ones left will work harder, and make us all happy.

NI and Scotland aren't happy and may break away, as they want to stay in the EU, but that's ok, little England can stand alone.

The M20 is now a giant car park, without any hygiene facilities, but that's ok because the people of Kent think that human waste can only improve their environment, and we all like to queue in traffic jams anyway.

Prices have rocketed, but that's fine, it'll keep the poor from getting too comfortable with cheap food.

It's cost more to be out of the EU than it ever cost to be in it, but that's ok, because we like paying extra taxes.

Most other EU countries and the G7 seem to have lower inflation than us, but, obviously, that's just coincidence.

The trade deals we have got aren't anywhere as good as what we had, but we have taught those bolshie Europeans a thing or two.

So, all in all, a good result.

Well done Boris....???

And, if all else fails, we can blame Covid and the Russians....?