Gransnet forums

News & politics

How long before the right-wing turn against Ukrainian refugees?

(58 Posts)
GagaJo Sat 21-May-22 13:02:06

I was thinking about this today. At the moment, even the right-wing media (and government) are paying lip service to supporting / hosting Ukrainian refugees but it won't be long until they start to see them as scroungers and start the hostile rhetoric.

gulligranny Sat 21-May-22 14:56:29

Well, it's GagaJo isn't it.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 21-May-22 14:58:40

Just read online that members of the Royal Family are hosting Ukrainian refugees.

JaneJudge Sat 21-May-22 15:05:45

they are providing accommodation not hosting

Deedaa Sat 21-May-22 15:07:07

There is some awful stuff on line. Mainly along the lines of "Why are we sending billions to help Ukraine when our own children are starving?" or why are we taking more than our fair share of refugees? Let the rest of Europe have them" Most of them seem to be of Russian origin or coming from Russian sympathisers.

lemsip Sat 21-May-22 15:15:12

well marriage break ups could happen when you tale in refugees.. see below, in the news today

Tony Garnett, 29, and his partner Lorna, 28, took in Sofiia Karkadym (pictured) at the start of May, but just 10 days later their seemingly-happy marriage was torn apart when the he ran away with the refugee. The security guard, who lives in Bradford, West Yorkshire, says he has fallen in love with the 22-year-old and wants to spend the rest of his life with her. Sofiia, who fled the city of Lviv in western Ukraine, said she 'fancied' Tony as soon as she saw him and that the pair are living their very own 'love story'. Admitting the pain this will cause Lorna, Tony said he has 'discovered a connection with Sofiia like I've never had before', adding that they 'know this is right'.

DiamondLily Sat 21-May-22 15:17:22

A bit like the old au pair sagas of years ago.?

I feel sorry for his wife though.?

biglouis Sat 21-May-22 15:17:51

When they can no longer pay for basics some people will view the war in Ukraine as being one of the major causes of inflation and fuel poverty in this country. Inevitably they will start to turn against individial Ukranians as well as individua Russians. I make no secret of the fact that I am anti immigration. I believe in looking after British born people who have paid taxes and made sacrifices to build the infrastructure we have. It was never intended to cater for so many "incomers".

Petera Sat 21-May-22 15:25:10

lemsip

well marriage break ups could happen when you tale in refugees.. see below, in the news today

Tony Garnett, 29, and his partner Lorna, 28, took in Sofiia Karkadym (pictured) at the start of May, but just 10 days later their seemingly-happy marriage was torn apart when the he ran away with the refugee. The security guard, who lives in Bradford, West Yorkshire, says he has fallen in love with the 22-year-old and wants to spend the rest of his life with her. Sofiia, who fled the city of Lviv in western Ukraine, said she 'fancied' Tony as soon as she saw him and that the pair are living their very own 'love story'. Admitting the pain this will cause Lorna, Tony said he has 'discovered a connection with Sofiia like I've never had before', adding that they 'know this is right'.

Ah the good old Sun and DM. The headline is actually "Bradford man behaves like a dickhead"

AGAA4 Sat 21-May-22 15:25:49

Inevitable that there will be some hostility by some people. This has always been the case.
When outrage and empathy have cooled there will always be those who will blame those from foreign lands for making life difficult and sadly the Ukrainians may be subjected to this.

DiamondLily Sat 21-May-22 15:33:22

When Kabul fell, last year (?), after the allies abruptly pulled out, the newspapers, right and left, were screaming, after seeing the chaotic and panicky scenes at airports, for these people to be rescued and bought over here.

The UK and the US were seen as the bad guys for just leaving.

A year on, some of those same newspapers are screaming for those coming over the Channel (many from Afghanistan) not to be rescued, and if they get here, to be sent to Rwanda.?

As are many of the public.

The narrative changes, month on month.?

GagaJo Sat 21-May-22 15:33:28

Deedaa

There is some awful stuff on line. Mainly along the lines of "Why are we sending billions to help Ukraine when our own children are starving?" or why are we taking more than our fair share of refugees? Let the rest of Europe have them" Most of them seem to be of Russian origin or coming from Russian sympathisers.

Makes sense. Those that funded Johnson no doubt. Makes it even more inevitable that BJ et al will turn on the displaced.

DiamondLily Sat 21-May-22 15:48:12

There is also a lot of this coming from "right wing Britain".

But, yes, eventually, the right wing media will set up the narrative of "why are we giving them money when the left keep saying that many Brits are having to choose between eating and heating?"

It always happens.?

eazybee Sat 21-May-22 15:56:25

Extremely unpleasant but par for the course.

timetogo2016 Sat 21-May-22 16:14:11

I can see where Riverwalk is coming from,it`s only a matter of time someone starts moaning about so and so can`t get benefits or a council house when the Ukrainians can.
And btw it won`t be me or mine.
I can`t see the R/family putting them up GG13.

Joseanne Sat 21-May-22 16:41:44

Totally wrong from my perspective.
I have just spent the afternoon with 2 Ukrainian families (3 teenage children). I was asking the kids about their schooling here. I can't divulge the name but each child has a place at a prestigious independent school, £7,000 each per term, free music lessons, teachers falling over backwards to offer extra lessons.
There is a will to help whatever political persuasion.

Joseanne Sat 21-May-22 16:42:49

merlotgran

It must be so depressing to always look for the negatives in any situation.

Glass half empty with knobs on.

Exactly

Petera Sat 21-May-22 16:58:34

I find it depressing to stick your head in the sand and not see what's going on around you.

Dickens Sat 21-May-22 16:59:40

... bit of a sweeping statement.

As with the Left, the Right are not a homogenous group.

Anyone remember the Labour 'red mug' emblazoned with the words "Controls on Immigration - that's why I'm voting Labour" a few years back?

Farzanah Sat 21-May-22 16:59:51

Why When HQ see this it will be gone MerylStreep?
Surely we are not censured as to what we can debate on these forums, unless we abuse guidelines. I think GagaJo has an interesting point.

There is positive media support on both right and left, for the Ukraine refugees, but it has been interesting to note the contrast with the racism shown by coverage of those not deemed “the right sort of refugees”, ie those fleeing war in other parts of the world.

I think the public, and media, responded rapidly and generously to the Ukrainian refugees, but wonder if this turns into the long haul, and becomes permanent if opinion will shift.

A few relationships with host families are reported to be breaking down, which is inevitable when there was no initial vetting and adequate support offered to settle traumatised families.
The declining economy won’t help matters, unless a good deal of help and support is available, and the media can quickly turn when they sense public unrest.

volver Sat 21-May-22 17:06:21

Joseanne

Totally wrong from my perspective.
I have just spent the afternoon with 2 Ukrainian families (3 teenage children). I was asking the kids about their schooling here. I can't divulge the name but each child has a place at a prestigious independent school, £7,000 each per term, free music lessons, teachers falling over backwards to offer extra lessons.
There is a will to help whatever political persuasion.

This upsets me quite a lot. That any children who are entitled to education in this country should have £21,000 a year spent on something they should get for free.

Is that a view I'm allowed or do we think GNHQ should be asked to come and delete it?

OakDryad Sat 21-May-22 17:28:25

It’s a specious argument Joseanne because you are confusing money with political beliefs. The person or people who have offered £63,000 pa to pay for the private schooling of three children are clearly comfortably off but we do not know their politics.

timetogo2016 is right because we still have a serious and ongoing housing shortage. A 2019 Tory election pledge was too build 300,000 new homes a year. This isn’t happening. Nowhere near. Last year, 29,000 social homes were sold or demolished and less than 7,000 were built (Shelter). Less than 7000.

They government also promised 40 new hospitals. There is no plan to build any new hospitals. On and on. Empty promises.

Last year, Afghani families who fled the Taliban and were given asylum in the UK are still living in hotels and hostels.

As public services continue to be underfunded and squeezed, supporters of the right, stirred up by the tabloid press will continue to blame migrants wherever they come from. I think back to the vile onslaught of deliberately inflammatory headlines printed by the Daily Mail and Daily Express in 2015 to 2016 to stoke the Vote Leave campaign. Do you not remember the #stopfundinghate campaign which attempted to dissuade businesses from advertising in these rags?

Unless the Johnson situation changes to force the issue, the next General Election is only two and half years away. Party and newspaper campaign strategies will be formed long before that. As the war escalates, more countries invaded, many more people will be displaced and need refuge. As we head towards a fascist state under Johnson, the migrant will, once again, become an easy target for hate-filled people.

lemsip Sat 21-May-22 17:34:17

Petera
you only read the 'good old Sun and the DM' I presume!

Petera Sat 21-May-22 17:35:35

lemsip

Petera
you only read the 'good old Sun and the DM' I presume!

Sorry, you're being gnomic

Sago Sat 21-May-22 19:54:12

I have thought long and hard before posting.
I am appalled at such a nasty and provocative thread.

volver Sat 21-May-22 19:57:14

As we speak, there is a thread running that advises us not to take in a Ukrainian refugee because she might run off with your husband.