Gransnet forums

News & politics

How would you get MPs to focus on their jobs not sex?

(78 Posts)
CvD66 Sun 22-May-22 07:27:52

Given there are currently 56 accusations of various assault by and against members of parliament, the Tories do seem to be leading the field in salacious revaluations. Today’s headlines highlight a Tory accused of using a date rape drug on 4 MPs, resulting in one waking up to find his nipples being licked! I know we are all waiting to see what diversionary tactics the PM will use to divert us from the Sue Grey report but this is a bit extreme! What remedies would you recommend to get MPs to focus on their job and not their own predilections! (No pun intended)

lixy Mon 23-May-22 09:11:06

Namsnanny

Close the bars, permanently.

Totally agree.
I think it's quite dreadful that the people allegedly leading the nation are allowed, or even encouraged, to drink on duty. Not allowed to drink and drive so why drink and legislate?
No booze might lead to more moderate and thoughtful behaviour all round?

MaizieD enough said, this isn't PMQ's.

volver Mon 23-May-22 09:14:55

Kandinsky

No I didn’t.
I only read the thread title.
Thread titles should be extremely clear for busy people who haven’t always got the time.

If I haven't got the time to read the OP, I generally haven't got time to opine in the body of the thread.

Daisymae Mon 23-May-22 09:38:04

I have a friend who works in Westminster. Part of the induction included who to avoid being alone in a room with. An update that includes complying with current legislation would be good, ensuring that there are repercussions. Plus getting rid of the alcohol.

Elegran Mon 23-May-22 09:40:31

The title isn't the message, it is just a hint to let you know whether you want to read the post itself. If you then discover that the post is twenty lines of dense prose without paragraph breaks, it is reasonable to decide that you don't wish to continue reading it - in which case you wouldn't wish to answer it either. However, if you can be bothered to reply at all, it is worth knowing what you are answering.

Grantanow Mon 23-May-22 12:03:56

I doubt they are much different from the rest of the population except for more competitive drive - it's just that they are more in the news. Consensual sex is not relevant to job performance (unless you think not getting it leads to depression and poor performance at work).

Balthazar Mon 23-May-22 12:08:23

All bars shut down and sniffer dogs introduced to search out cocaine that we hear is rampant too. Also move parliament out of London. Says Mrs Stasi!!!

Elegran Mon 23-May-22 12:12:18

Consensual sex isn't a problem (except where it gets in the way of them doing the job they are paid to do - do we want to spend - a lot - of public money on providing our elected representatives with a free knocking shop?)

What concerns people is non-consensual sexual exploitation and misuse of power and influence, plus the fact that people in those positions of power and influence should be setting a better standard than the rest of the population, not a worse one.

Coco51 Mon 23-May-22 12:38:07

How many of those accused are women? Could be there’s a simple solution! wink

Leolady73 Mon 23-May-22 12:38:43

The culture comes from the top and we have a PM with a child bride - the father of seven children to different mothers who has no integrity!! Lead by example

Happygirl79 Mon 23-May-22 12:39:45

How about an all female parliament?

Amalegra Mon 23-May-22 12:42:23

It’s a very good job that we didn’t have the ever hungry social and mainstream media years ago! The amount of scandalous and immoral (not to mention illegal) behaviours that were part of the doings of the ruling elite, of royalty too of course, people that the hoi polloi like me were brought up to respect and tip our caps to would be horrendous! At least we can be grateful that no one in these ‘enlightened’ days seems to be immune from these so called ‘revelations’. I do find it disturbing, however, that it is the media who are usually responsible and how trustworthy that particular organ is, I don’t know. They are obviously in it to make money, not just for the public good, and may well be in the pay of someone who has a vested interest in the ‘scandal’. I don’t let myself get whipped up to a self righteous frenzy until I know more about it. But whether I can trust or believe all I read, I am highly sceptical of, as I always am.

volver Mon 23-May-22 12:42:49

Leolady73

The culture comes from the top and we have a PM with a child bride - the father of seven children to different mothers who has no integrity!! Lead by example

Carrie Johnson is 34 years old.

Just saying.

Maremia Mon 23-May-22 13:07:55

Beyond disgusted at Andrew Mitchell's comment, 'a scandal involving small boys'. Instead of dealing with these paedophile rapes, they used the information for political gain.

Authoress Mon 23-May-22 13:17:55

@coco51 - indeed smile

As an alternative to an all-woman slate, how about proportional representation - with luck, resulting in a much saner power dynamic in Westminster.

Mincub Mon 23-May-22 13:18:56

Get MPs to focus on their job. - easy cut their pay
Pay them purely for performance and not in the bedroom either! ;)

kevincharley Mon 23-May-22 13:48:20

DiamondLily

I can't imagine how gruesome it must be to share a bed with Boris Johnson...?

That made me laugh out loud! I've never tried to imagine it but now you've put the thought in my head I feel somewhat queasy!

kevincharley Mon 23-May-22 13:56:12

Kandinsky

No I didn’t.
I only read the thread title.
Thread titles should be extremely clear for busy people who haven’t always got the time.

...but have time to return multiple times to comment. Hmm!

Neilspurgeon0 Mon 23-May-22 14:21:12

Bromide !

springishere Mon 23-May-22 17:05:14

Perhaps they should all work from home!

poshpaws Mon 23-May-22 17:13:56

How about we have an all female parliament? It seems very rare for women to sexually assault or harass other women.

Other than that, we should bring in and ENACT a law that if an MP is found guilty of either, he (or she if it's the exception to prove the rule) is subject to an immediate prison sentence of 7 years with no chance of parole.

katy1950 Mon 23-May-22 17:48:39

At the end of the day affairs happen in most workplaces so why should we expect our mps to be any different the French don't seem to bothered about their mps lovelives

paddyann54 Mon 23-May-22 18:45:43

katy1950 its not consensual sex thats the problem ,its the rape,sexual assault often involving younger people ,men and women that appears to be rife Today an MP was sent to jail for 18 months ,and another one popped out of the woodwork.This one spiked a drink and when the man was drugged assaulted him .
I dont know about you but thats not how I expect elected members of parliament to behave..thats not how I expect ANYONE to behave

Caro57 Mon 23-May-22 18:59:04

I would sack the men and bring in women - aside from sex I think the country would run better!

mousemac Mon 23-May-22 19:35:40

If they were expected to resign when discovered to have done wrong, perhaps that might work as well as it used to.

Maremia Mon 23-May-22 21:00:25

Just sack them. No more perks, and no pension. Sexual assault is a crime. Treat it as such.