Gransnet forums

News & politics

Tiverton and Honiton election

(15 Posts)
varian Tue 24-May-22 11:44:38

"The Government's new agriculture plans could drive thousands of family farms out of business.

I've written to the DEFRA Secretary, along with Lib Dem, Labour and Conservative colleagues, to ask that current farm payments are maintained until the new scheme is rolled out in full."

LibDem agriculture spokesman Tim Farron

twitter.com/LibDems/status/1529024096821989376?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Rameses Tue 24-May-22 11:26:48

The Conservatives have put forward Honiton councillor Helen Hurford for the seat. The former headteacher is currently vice-chair of Honiton Town Council and deputy mayor of the town.

growstuff Tue 24-May-22 09:58:09

He might split the Conservative vote. Hehe!

Joseanne Tue 24-May-22 09:27:20

volver

I've just read that Parrish is thinking of standing as an independent.

Yes, he has been saying that a while. He is/was actually very popular in the area.

volver Tue 24-May-22 09:24:58

I've just read that Parrish is thinking of standing as an independent.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 24-May-22 09:24:33

volver

Neil Parrish isn't standing and if he was then people would know why he had had to resign, so they can't use the "my local MP may be Tory but he's a good MP" excuse. Maybe the new candidate is a sterling chap, (or chapess), but they are still part of the Conservative Party. If they were elected they would still be part of the Government that is trying to undermining everything that is good about this country and are throwing farmers under a bus, along with reducing controls on animal welfare.

And why are we worried that at some undefined time in the future we might have a coalition of progressive parties when we have a party right now that is dismantling the state.

Why would anybody in their right mind vote Conservative at this by-election? Why would anybody worry about something that is not even on the cards when we have disaster today? Except to seed worry and doubt, maybe.

Right

DiamondLily Tue 24-May-22 09:23:29

Yes, Labour are running a low profile there, as the LDs stand the best chance.

The LDs are running a low profile at Wakefield, as Labour have the best chance.

It's only what UKIP did for the Tories, at the last election, so I don't know where they're whining "it's not fair".?

Ladyleftfieldlover Tue 24-May-22 09:23:08

volver

Neil Parrish isn't standing and if he was then people would know why he had had to resign, so they can't use the "my local MP may be Tory but he's a good MP" excuse. Maybe the new candidate is a sterling chap, (or chapess), but they are still part of the Conservative Party. If they were elected they would still be part of the Government that is trying to undermining everything that is good about this country and are throwing farmers under a bus, along with reducing controls on animal welfare.

And why are we worried that at some undefined time in the future we might have a coalition of progressive parties when we have a party right now that is dismantling the state.

Why would anybody in their right mind vote Conservative at this by-election? Why would anybody worry about something that is not even on the cards when we have disaster today? Except to seed worry and doubt, maybe.

Absolutely, Volver.

Joseanne Tue 24-May-22 09:20:01

The interesting thing (for me) is that both Conservative and Labour candidates are females. Whoop!

volver Tue 24-May-22 09:17:08

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 24-May-22 09:12:40

At the moment, wwm. Give it time.

Joseanne Tue 24-May-22 09:05:32

It's a tricky one, if I might add, living almost on the doorstep. Many friends of ours in the constituency are predicting a Conservative win because of the huge majority previously held.
The thing is local people's priorities in this neck of the woods include supporting farmers and farming businesses, animal welfare, along with improving our transport links. Neil Parish campaigned for all these in spades (or diggers!).

Whitewavemark2 Tue 24-May-22 08:57:05

Germanshepherdsmum

Another LibLab Pact? No thanks.

There won’t be a pact. Just political cooperation. A big difference.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 24-May-22 08:56:02

Another LibLab Pact? No thanks.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 24-May-22 08:38:31

Lib Dems set to take the seat from the lying Tories.

I see that Starmer is cooperating and aiding the alias by scaling back labours effort.

Good.

A progressive alliance is what is needed to beat the latent fascists.