Gransnet forums

News & politics

19 children and two adults murdered in school shooting in Texas

(196 Posts)
Esspee Wed 25-May-22 07:21:18

Yet another atrocity in the USA thanks to the control the gun lobby has over the laws. When will those in charge realise that the right to bear arms is an outdated concept and start removing these weapons, especially automatic weapons, from the population?

Grandma70s Wed 25-May-22 09:10:42

I feel sorry for the decent Americans who think the gun laws should change, and are deeply embarrassed by the gun lobby and these terrible results of irresponsible gun ownership.

Visgir1 Wed 25-May-22 09:12:13

Kandinsky

They want to ban abortion because a woman can’t possibly have control over her own body, yet they let any idiot ( usually male ) buy a gun.

Totally agree.
Guns are the leading cause of death in children and teenagers in the USA.
Absolutely disgusting for a modern nation.
Those poor babies and families, how do you ever get over this sort of thing?

Esspee Wed 25-May-22 09:12:26

Think how traumatised the children in that school will be having seen or heard their classmates being murdered, fearing for their own safety. So many little children mentally scarred for life.

Esspee Wed 25-May-22 09:19:15

Galaxy

What difference would a locked door have made. He could have walked straight into reception and shot the staff there. Doors are not the problem.

Exactly Galaxy
Every elementary (primary) school I have visited in the USA had classrooms you directly enter from outside. Certainly the section the schools are located on usually have fencing, chain link normally, but once over or through that a gunman simply has a huge choice of classrooms.

Oldwoman70 Wed 25-May-22 09:19:34

Will Americans ever change this stupid "right to bear arms" law? Somehow I doubt it but perhaps they could start by raising the age at which someone can buy a gun.

I read a newspaper comment that shows how skewed the attitude is that an 18 year old can buy an assault rifle but can't buy a beer!

Katie59 Wed 25-May-22 09:28:05

The right to bear arms is not likely to change, the legal possession of weapons is likely to be reduced state by state but there are so many illegal weapons in circulation ita not likely to make much difference.

We are very lucky in the UK that laws are tight and few illegal are available. Knives are another matter

GrannyGravy13 Wed 25-May-22 09:31:59

I wonder if they ever look at the gun laws and realise when the constitution was written the guns were muskets not bump stock automatic guns capable of killing multiple human beings with a quick squeeze of the trigger?

henetha Wed 25-May-22 09:35:16

How very sad, and appalling. When will America learn?
It's absolute madness.

Smileless2012 Wed 25-May-22 09:35:35

It's heartbreaking. Some of the children so badly damaged that their parents probably wont be able to see them to say goodbye.

Kate1949 Wed 25-May-22 09:51:02

How dreadful. I've just read that this young man walked into a gun store on his 18th birthday and bought two assault rifles. Because he could.

MaizieD Wed 25-May-22 09:53:52

Smileless2012

It's heartbreaking. Some of the children so badly damaged that their parents probably wont be able to see them to say goodbye.

Shredded, Smileless, ripped to unidentifiable pieces. Can only be identified by DNA.

The horror is unimaginable...

Shandy57 Wed 25-May-22 09:56:04

So tragic. I think if I lived there this would encourage me to home school my children, I would worry about them every single day.

Antonia Wed 25-May-22 10:05:58

The vast majority of Americans support tightened laws around guns, and yet still nothing is done. Depressingly, I don't think even this atrocity will result in real change. It's a sick society that allows a teenager to walk into a shop and buy two guns.
Those poor, poor children and their families.

Grammaretto Wed 25-May-22 10:12:37

Horrifying in every respect.
There are even US politicians who think teachers should be armed!

Chestnut Wed 25-May-22 10:21:54

Why would any ordinary citizen need an automatic weapon? This is for military use. If they must have guns then a hand pistol is all a person needs for keeping under the bed.

For the record, I expect Piers Morgan will be hammering this tonight on his programme and will probably have an aggressive argument with one of the USA gun lobby. Last time he did that he tore them to shreds, which was very satisfying.

Callistemon21 Wed 25-May-22 10:44:28

Whitewavemark2

It simply shows a very skewed society.

Where children are regularly taught what action to take should a gunman enter the building.

Where freedom to own a gun takes precedence over a child’s life.

Where those supporting the right to own a gun deny any right to a woman to choose whether to continue with a pregnancy.

Where overt Christianity produces a society with the highest murder rate in the world.

There is nothing to add, except:

A country where anyone can walk into a supermarket and buy a weapon along with their groceries.

What kind of society is this?

RIP to all those small children and their teachers
And all the others murdered because of a skewed belief in the right to bear arms.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 25-May-22 10:50:36

I have never forgotten shopping in a Walmart Store in Haines City. The two youngest children wanted new character swimming towels the adjacent section was the weapons and ammunition counter…

Smileless2012 Wed 25-May-22 10:54:56

I remember how shocked we were the first time we went to Walmart GG.

Kate1949 Wed 25-May-22 11:01:17

Those beautiful little faces beaming out from the newspapers today. It's heartbreaking.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 25-May-22 11:12:04

It's beyond appalling.

I once saw a short piece on Facebook of a young man in the US in a liquor store who tries to buy alcohol. "Sorry son, you're too young." Then he goes to a shop to buy cigarettes, "Sorry son, you're under-age." Subsequently he goes to a gun shop. "Of course son, which type of gun would you like?"

It's just not civilised. The US in films and TV puts forward a glamorous image of itself which is at odds with the grim reality. So sad.

Chestnut Wed 25-May-22 11:19:43

They really can't see it can they? Completely blinded by their belief in 'the right to bear arms'. How did it ever come to the 'right to bear automatic rifles'? The changes have to come within their society so we can only hope the anti-gun lobby fight their corner with more force.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 25-May-22 11:28:43

Those who still believe in their right to bear arms should be made to visit the autopsy and see the poor little victims with their own eyes. Anyone with an ounce of compassion, etc, but we've said it all before, haven't we?

Hithere Wed 25-May-22 11:48:14

The second ammendment of the US Constitution is the right to bear arms

That and lobbyist efforts will make change impossible

President Biden very well expressed his thoughts in this matter last night, risking upsetting a lot of people, but he also has the support of a lot of sectors- his words were 100% spot on and I am proud he stands by them

Nothing will change, sadly.
It will however turn into another reason to hate the Latin community as the shooter was of Latin descendant.
Texas is a horrible racist state already - it is about to get worse

In my experience, Republicans sympathizers are usually very gun friendly, pro lifers and pride themselves in church going and religious
Texas is the mecca of Republican mentality

How they do not see the contradiction of their values is beyond me

SueDonim Wed 25-May-22 12:03:29

Hithere I think you have little ones? How do you explain this to your own children so they don’t live in fear? ??

Jaxjacky Wed 25-May-22 12:05:54

I don’t know what to say because it’s all been said before, over and over, but nothing changes.