Gransnet forums

News & politics

Johnson set to announce a multi million cost of living package

(78 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Wed 25-May-22 08:41:08

Before the end of week.

Which begs the question, whether he would have done so if Sue Grey hadn’t reported this week.

Johnson’s cynicism would win prizes.

DiamondLily Fri 27-May-22 14:42:52

Labour have opened up a nine point lead, and Johnson's personal ratings have slumped still further.

The bribe might have won the battle of the headlines, but it's not won the voter approval poll.

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10860733/MPs-warn-Boris-Johnson-NOT-Partygate-danger-poll-shows-Labour-nine-point-lead.html

DaisyAnne Fri 27-May-22 14:41:40

I think it's going to be an interesting week Jaxjacky

Jaxjacky Fri 27-May-22 14:39:30

Well our Tory MP isn’t impressed, he’s just resigned.

DiamondLily Fri 27-May-22 13:53:25

DaisyAnne

I like orndions - it must mean something ... Oh spooky. I put "orndions meaning" in google and it came up with "The new State Pension: Eligibility - GOV.UK". Is my education lacking or can it see what we are doing?

Spooky or Big Brother lol ?

Jane43 Fri 27-May-22 10:15:54

Whitewavemark2

The poor amongst us must only hope that Johnson gets himself into another sleazy scandal by the autumn so that another payout will be done to re-focus our attention away from 10 Bullingdon Street.

Johnson must hope that Labour comes up with another plan like the Windfall tax, so he can implement it. Johnson has no plan going forward, which is a real issue given the crises.

In every interview I’ve seen Sunak is desperate to avoid calling it a Windfall Tax, calling it an Energy Profits Levy or some such nonsense.

DaisyAnne Fri 27-May-22 10:11:05

I like orndions - it must mean something ... Oh spooky. I put "orndions meaning" in google and it came up with "The new State Pension: Eligibility - GOV.UK". Is my education lacking or can it see what we are doing?

DiamondLily Fri 27-May-22 10:03:52

Pensions, not orndions..?

DiamondLily Fri 27-May-22 10:02:59

It's more substantial than usual, but I think it's very difficult now, and will be more do in the future, without the back up of private pensions.

Part of the idea of the "new style" pensions, paid at a higher rate, was that, eventually, they can phase out Pension Credit, as the threshold for claiming that would be too high.

My son lives in the USA and will have a Civil Service pension (frozen) from his career here, and he's paying into private provision over there.

My DD and SIL both have occupational orndions due, but also pay into private insurance schemes.

It's not going to get any easier.?

DaisyAnne Fri 27-May-22 09:34:21

Since when has £14 (which I will be glad to have) been a "bumper" rise. I will agree it is when the state pension is enough to live on without means tested benefits. Of course, it is this governments view that there should be no automatic claim for State Pension, only a means tested one. Mmm. Which would I like for my ACs and AGCs? No pension or a Living Pension?

My ACs (in this country) already plan as if it will have gone, sadly. I do hope all the Grans on here have children and grandchildren earning enough to do the same and that mine continue to do so. Who knows what the future will bring them?

DiamondLily Fri 27-May-22 09:26:21

If inflation does get to 10%, or thereabouts, pensioners will, for once, get a decent uprate in their pensions.?

The government has reintroduced the triple lock, from April, and has said pensions will rise in line with inflation.

Old style pensions would go up by an average of approx £14 per week, and new style ones by about £18 per week.

They have also said, from April, that all other benefits will also rise by whatever the inflation rate is in September.

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10859247/State-pension-set-rise-bumper-10-return-triple-lock-set-ease-pressure-OAPs.html

DaisyAnne Fri 27-May-22 09:15:23

This was in "The Week" on 17 May, 2022.

While many countries are experiencing higher energy bills, supply chain disruption and the lingering effects of the pandemic, price pressures in the UK are “expected to be worse and longer lasting”, according to The Telegraph.

In explaining it's view that the Governement is exacerbating financial pain, it says:

The UK is set to experience a “toxic combination” of price drivers, said the paper, namely “an extremely tight jobs market, a plunging pound and higher inflation expectations”. And additional taxes on households being imposed by the government are also likely to exacerbate financial pain for many, “something few governments are daring to do at a time of soaring living costs”, said the paper [Telegraph].

Inflation is soaring and currently stands at about 7%, although the Bank of England (BoE) predicts it could reach as high as 10% this year due to rising energy prices. It’s a figure far from the Bank’s 2% target, a “key part” of its “price stability” mandate, said The Independent.

The Government, it seems, is now doing no one any favours, it is just turning round what it has created.

www.theweek.co.uk/business/956773/how-the-uks-cost-of-living-crisis-compares-with-the-rest-of-the-world

DiamondLily Fri 27-May-22 08:16:12

Well, it's done the job - it's changed the headlines. The cost of this exercise, purely to save Johnson and two by-elections, is now estimated to be costing £21 billion, £5 billion of which will come from the Windfall Tax.?

I hope they think he's worth it..

For my part, I'm still outraged that my dad had to die alone, while Johnson and his wife held a garden party, so I would still never vote for him or the Tories.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 27-May-22 08:04:01

The poor amongst us must only hope that Johnson gets himself into another sleazy scandal by the autumn so that another payout will be done to re-focus our attention away from 10 Bullingdon Street.

Johnson must hope that Labour comes up with another plan like the Windfall tax, so he can implement it. Johnson has no plan going forward, which is a real issue given the crises.

DiamondLily Fri 27-May-22 04:42:10

How and when these payments will be made:

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10857277/What-does-Rishi-Sunaks-15bn-cost-living-giveaway-mean-you.html

DaisyAnne Thu 26-May-22 18:46:25

has ever subjected to has ever been subjected to

DaisyAnne Thu 26-May-22 18:42:33

Aveline

So? It's being done now. The government is being responsive to these price rises going on every day.
I'm not a Boris fan but think this obsessing on events of two years ago is daft. Why wasn't it raised then? Whose agenda is it to suddenly produce evidence now? Politics is a mucky business. Where's Cummings by the way? Revenge being a dish best served cold?

So many of those who dragged us into Brexit told us it was because we "wanted our Sovereignty back". And yet here you (and they) are telling us to forget the one of the most undermining attacks our Sovereignty has ever subjected to.

It seems it was worth a minority organising to destroy our current way of living to "get back" the Sovereignty we hadn't lost. Why, therefore, isn't it worth following up on any attempt to undermine and take over our democracy, whether it goes back two years or ten?

Johnson wants to "move on" as he sees himself as the victim, as all such manipulators do. What's the excuse of those who ape this sentiment?

Poppyred Thu 26-May-22 18:17:41

Thank you Boris!

Nusgranny Thu 26-May-22 17:26:50

Some of the photo's were taken by one of the FOUR photographers hired by the PM to record him. That backfired didn't it?

Happygirl79 Thu 26-May-22 16:21:09

Oldbat1

BJ in Parliament sitting smirking - he turns my stomach.

I felt the same. I couldn't stand looking at him nor Sunak. I switched my TV off

ShropshireMiss Thu 26-May-22 14:35:15

A few years ago the investment dividend income allowance was £5,000, now it’s only £2000. As the Conservatives are supposed to be a low tax party I wish they would put the allowance back to £5,000, then I could better take care of myself from the time I put into research for investing, rather than needing help from the government.

DiamondLily Thu 26-May-22 14:26:32

On the BBC site:

It's non means tested.

DiamondLily Thu 26-May-22 14:23:22

According to the BBC any adult receiving DLA/PIP/AA will get the disability help. It was being reported it's non means tested.

Pammie1 Thu 26-May-22 14:21:31

Disabled people not on means tested benefits won’t get any additional help aside from the £400 while pensioners on pension credit will get an extra £300, plus an extra £150 if they’re also disabled. They really do have utter contempt for disabled people of working age don’t they ?

cidney10 Thu 26-May-22 14:12:19

Aveline may be a big fan of Johnson and the Conservatives but I doubt many others still are. I have been voting since the early 70s too, and have voted for all parties, I've never been a voter for any single political party. All Boris has shown is conceit for everyone except his own group of cronies, he doesn't care a fig for anyone other than himself. He lies constantly and only does a u-turn when he absolutely has to, to get himself out of the fire if his cronies manage to persuade him to do so. He didn't help during the pandemic did he, he acted too late in regard to care homes and didn't even care if they died, he said so himself. He put orders the way of friends and friends of friends, and spent millions, well billions by someone's reckonings on PPE equipment which wasn't even fit for purpose, and he got the govt to write all of that off. We can't have his bankrolling friends pay it back now can we. He constantly tries to deflect criticism away from himself by shouting aloud for Ukraine, he probably didn't care a jot for Ukraine before xmas but now is standing up and throwing billions at them for arms. Why isn't he throwing billions to the british public who are all struggling at the moment with the cost of living crisis? He and Sunak must have the money mustn't they? Now he's also failing with Brexit, and the world it seems, he needs to find someone else to think he is great. Typical narcissism. He now even has a criminal record!! What an accomplishment to his reign/rule! How on earth is this man still in power?? Are the tories that desperate to stay in power?? Well I suppose if you are on the gravy train and can see two years ahead when the country hasn't forgotten what must be the worst parliament ever to rule this country. Well I think even Johnson's beloved Winston Churchill must be turning in his grave, if he could.

Grantanow Thu 26-May-22 13:53:00

It's a welcome handout but obviously designed to steer attention away from Johnson's appalling behaviour and bribe the electorate at the same time. They have stolen Labour's idea of course which shows Labour were right to press the windfall tax and the cost of living.