Gransnet forums

News & politics

Hello ‘new Barbie’. ?

(183 Posts)
Urmstongran Thu 26-May-22 12:39:19

The first transgender Barbie doll has been launched to highlight the importance of "acceptance at every age".

What, if any, are your thoughts?

VioletSky Fri 27-May-22 21:20:17

It looks like this thtead has become another opportunity for those who enjoy an argument and cant stay civil

I'll come back if the discussion becomes interesting again

Smileless2012 Fri 27-May-22 21:18:12

Chewbacca grin

Smileless2012 Fri 27-May-22 21:16:48

I posted "It is believed....." It is a fact though that a man cannot become a woman as the evolution of man kind has shown.

Chewbacca Fri 27-May-22 21:16:13

Baron Winston FMedSci FRSA FRCP FRCOG FREng could learn a lot from you vs grin

VioletSky Fri 27-May-22 21:12:21

Filed under protected beliefs according to legislation lol

Belief, not fact

Smileless2012 Fri 27-May-22 21:05:27

It is believed that man first inhabited the earth 2 million years ago. In those 2 million years mankind has evolved, but a man in all that time has never been able to become a woman and never will.

VioletSky Fri 27-May-22 21:02:05

The thing about progress is that, just like evolution and science and technology, it is inexorable.

Sometimes people will stand in front of it, and sometimes they will even try to push it backwards but it always continues.

Smileless2012 Fri 27-May-22 20:53:40

If you want to keep quiet go ahead I won't hold my breath though.

volver Fri 27-May-22 20:50:25

Smileless2012

Yes volver and that's the point that's being discussed at the moment.

Them carry on and knock your pan in, in your wee echo chamber of inalienable rectitude. Any of us who have a different idea will just keep quiet. Clearly most of us are already.

Smileless2012 Fri 27-May-22 20:45:22

I don't agree that "the point is being spectacularly missed" volver it is being disagreed with.

Exasperation and sneering are not the same thing, that's the point.

volver Fri 27-May-22 20:42:31

volver, It is allowed to disagree with you, you know? It's not about 'Barbie baaaad', and we are not sheep. You don't have to be so disrespectful to other posters - if you have a point to make, why not make it instead of sneering?

It's Friday night so I don't care anymore. Over and over again I've said what I think. But over and over again, the point is being spectacularly missed. Perhaps if people were to stop thinking that exasperation and sneering were the same thing, we'd get somewhere. I won't hold my breath though.

Smileless2012 Fri 27-May-22 20:42:08

Yes volver and that's the point that's being discussed at the moment.

volver Fri 27-May-22 20:38:36

Good lord. How many times?

there's nothing to distinguish this particular Barbie from any other.

That's the point

Smileless2012 Fri 27-May-22 20:31:11

Trans women are not women.

Smileless2012 Fri 27-May-22 20:29:36

It's about using a toy to perpetuate the myth that trans women are women. By making the doll the same as other (female) ones but saying it's trans.

Exactly, and unless you know the actress the doll is based on, and know she's a trans woman and let's face it, not all adults would know, never mind the children who'll play with the doll, there's nothing to distinguish this particular Barbie from any other.

VioletSky Fri 27-May-22 20:21:56

Also

Trans women are women

Barbie gets it

VioletSky Fri 27-May-22 20:20:41

Doodledog

It is the difference between my education and my understanding in certain topics and my occasionally frustrated observations of a difference between generations in terms of what they see as a problem and the sheer amount of work done to remain angry about it because of preconceived ideas.

I am allowed both

Doodledog Fri 27-May-22 20:13:39

VioletSky

Unfortunately there are parents who do not raise their children well.(despite being unable to see or agree that their parenting is problematic).

As well as abuse and neglect, the parents may have opinions, values and ideals that directly harm their own children. That can range from FGM and arranged marriage to views about race, sexuality or gender that prevent their child from having an authentic life and feeling loved for who they are.

This is why schools work together with other organisations to safeguard and educate children.

Ah, right. That's a far cry from Some generations really do go to great lengths to offend themselves....This is why we need acceptance and open mindednes taught in education.... So that future generstions are happier (said in the context of this thread, as opposed to in general), though, isn't it? And when the 'other organisations' include Stonewall, things are moving a long way from protecting children from abuse and neglect.

volver, It is allowed to disagree with you, you know? It's not about 'Barbie baaaad', and we are not sheep. You don't have to be so disrespectful to other posters - if you have a point to make, why not make it instead of sneering?

It's about using a child's toy to perpetuate the myth that transwomen are women. By making the doll the same as the other (female) ones but saying that it is trans, Mattel is suggesting that there is no difference between transwomen and women, when this is scientifically untrue.

If the astronaut, scientist, Rosa Parks and other dolls are role models which influence children (and I have no problem with any of them, other than that it would be better if they could be more realistically shaped), then how is having a 'trans' doll not going to do likewise? At best, it is normalising the idea that women can be men who say they are female.

volver Fri 27-May-22 20:00:03

Stick with it until a minute and 35 seconds in.

twitter.com/mattgreencomedy/status/1410282003476451332

JaneJudge Fri 27-May-22 19:58:15

grin grin grin

Callistemon21 Fri 27-May-22 19:52:55

That's why DD's Sindy preferred DS's Action Man.

He had one of those Army jumpers with epaulettes.

JaneJudge Fri 27-May-22 19:49:47

But my Paul had a nice jumper and went on walking holidays in Betws-y-Coed

Callistemon21 Fri 27-May-22 19:47:18

JaneJudge

My Barbies used to have sex with Paul, Sindy's boyfriend

It's because Sindy was too busy with Action Man to bother with wimpy Paul

JaneJudge Fri 27-May-22 19:44:37

My Barbies used to have sex with Paul, Sindy's boyfriend

Chewbacca Fri 27-May-22 17:26:16

The family sex show was endorsed pretty well, and that turned out well

Didn't it just. Funny thing is, at the time that the s**t hit the fan regarding the show being suitable for children as young as 5, they've since amended their website considerably. hmm