Gransnet forums

News & politics

Remember when you voted to take back sovereignty?

(66 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Sat 28-May-22 08:22:34

Well, the very prime minister who promised to take back sovereignty is now ensuring that it is being taken away again, only this time it is being lost to just one person.

The Prime Minister.

Changing rules to suit himself is the actions of a dictator.

We must hope that he will go quietly, as go he must.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 29-May-22 11:12:58

NotSpaghetti

Oak and WWM - This is exactly like Trump. It became impossible to separate his ideas from his reality. If someone had told you he had decided to make Mar-a-lago a kingdom it wouldn't have raised an eyebrow. Johnson is growing ever more Trumpish. He needs to go.

Exactly

NotSpaghetti Sun 29-May-22 11:08:19

True Maisie! hmm

NotSpaghetti Sun 29-May-22 11:07:26

Oak and WWM - This is exactly like Trump. It became impossible to separate his ideas from his reality. If someone had told you he had decided to make Mar-a-lago a kingdom it wouldn't have raised an eyebrow. Johnson is growing ever more Trumpish. He needs to go.

MaizieD Sun 29-May-22 11:02:38

Whitewavemark2

OakDryad

Mingella was joking WWM2 just positing something that a man who is ripping up the rulebook would like to be able to do. Minghella goes on to say:

^If, even for a fleeting moment, that sounded like it could be true, it is because Johnson has poured scorn on our standards and norms. He has shredded our unwritten constitution and kicked law-abiding British decency in the face. Until he is gone, nothing and nobody is safe.^

I thought it must be, but honestly these days!!

???

Whitewavemark2 Sun 29-May-22 10:58:00

OakDryad

Mingella was joking WWM2 just positing something that a man who is ripping up the rulebook would like to be able to do. Minghella goes on to say:

^If, even for a fleeting moment, that sounded like it could be true, it is because Johnson has poured scorn on our standards and norms. He has shredded our unwritten constitution and kicked law-abiding British decency in the face. Until he is gone, nothing and nobody is safe.^

I thought it must be, but honestly these days!!

OakDryad Sun 29-May-22 09:56:30

If, even for a fleeting moment, that sounded like it could be true, it is because Johnson has poured scorn on our standards and norms. He has shredded our unwritten constitution and kicked law-abiding British decency in the face. Until he is gone, nothing and nobody is safe.

MaizieD Sun 29-May-22 09:24:07

Whitewavemark2

Surely this can’t be correct. But honestly nothing surprises me any more

Dominic Minghella
@DMinghella
Just heard Johnson is moving to change the Conservative Party rulebook, raising the threshold of MPs' letters required to initiate a vote of no confidence in the sitting Prime Minister, from 15% to 100% - i.e. including a letter from the Prime Minister himself.*

How can changing the tory rule book make any difference? I thought it was a Parliamentary rule?

Don't the tory rules just apply to the tory party leadership, not to PMs?

And surely the tory party leader is not able to change the rules on a whim. Doesn't it require the input of rather more people?

Whitewavemark2 Sun 29-May-22 08:34:40

The argument for a written constitution is very strong now. I think.

Grany Sun 29-May-22 08:20:16

More people should email the standards commissioner Johnson should not be allowed to get away with this

Here

Whitewavemark2 Sun 29-May-22 08:16:26

Surely this can’t be correct. But honestly nothing surprises me any more

Dominic Minghella
@DMinghella
Just heard Johnson is moving to change the Conservative Party rulebook, raising the threshold of MPs' letters required to initiate a vote of no confidence in the sitting Prime Minister, from 15% to 100% - i.e. including a letter from the Prime Minister himself.*

Callistemon21 Sat 28-May-22 22:31:36

Allsorts

This is so boring. Move on.

Of course you may if you're bored.

?

WharfedaleGran Sat 28-May-22 21:53:02

Allsorts

Alternatively, for those for whom this thread is boring, perhaps scroll on?

Which I often do for threads that don’t interest me personally, or where unkindness rears its ugly head… this thread, however, is anything but boring for anyone with an ounce of concern for the direction in which this man and his cronies are dragging our country.

TopsyIrene06 Sat 28-May-22 20:42:31

Thanks Grany Done.

MayBee70 Sat 28-May-22 19:29:45

Allsorts

Why? Because you tell us to?? angry Haven’t you got better things to do than comment on posts that bore you? How sad…..

Allsorts Sat 28-May-22 19:23:03

Grany Sat 28-May-22 19:12:36

You can email the standards commissioner This is important.

Gossamerbeynon1945 Sat 28-May-22 18:23:08

BTW, I voted Remain.

Gossamerbeynon1945 Sat 28-May-22 18:20:20

Don't like Boris or Starmer. I have had more than enough of politicians. Unfortunately, I live in Wales. The Welsh government has been captured by Stonewall. All the money they give Stonewall, apparently it is a six figure sum, they could give to hungry children, of which there are very many in Wales

MaizieD Sat 28-May-22 18:04:09

25Avalon

MaizieD the new act passed in March this year means there has to be a general election before January 2025, so as I said a couple of years away, although Boris could call it sooner but I doubt he will.
Thankyou Nadateturbe for the precise info. MaizieD your apologies are accepted.

Apologies given.

lixy Sat 28-May-22 17:48:21

Blossoming

I didn’t vote to ‘take back sovereignty’.

If you mean 'take back sovereignty' by voting for Brexit I didn't either, and neither did 49% of the people who voted. But that bridge has been crossed.

I don't understand how the person who promised 'sovereignty' squares that with the amoral treatment of both the Queen and parliament. Really don't know how he can look at himself in the mirror in the morning.

MaizieD Sat 28-May-22 16:21:14

So what did you vote for, Blossoming?

Blossoming Sat 28-May-22 16:00:20

Whitewavemark2

Blossoming

I didn’t vote to ‘take back sovereignty’.

There is always an exception, I think that we understand that?

So you’re saying that everyone on Gransnet, except me, voted to ‘take back sovereignty’.

I’m off to Twitter to read some gossip and backbiting.

Jane43 Sat 28-May-22 15:47:21

MaizieD

Jane43

Caleo

I blame people who voted for Brexit

Why don’t you blame the people who lied through their teeth about the benefits of Brexit rather than the people who believed those lies?

Anyone with a grain of commonsense could see that they were lies. There were enough people pointing out that it was lies. But the Devil has all the best tunes... (and Russian funding)

Common sense doesn’t come into it, they were playing on people’s insecurities and prejudices regarding the NHS and immigration in a most cynical way.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 28-May-22 14:46:28

The following are the words Johnson has delegated from the ministerial code

Integrity, objectivity, accountability, transparency, and honesty

Greta Sat 28-May-22 14:21:09

I have emailed my conservative MP. She is no fan of Boris Johnson and I understand she doesn't rate his father either. Every time I see the PM I feel sick. Did I hear right that in the last PMQs he referred to Keir Starmer as 'Beer Korma. Never mind the seriousness of our present circumstances he couldn't resist 'being funny'. I will never understand how anybody can still defend this despicable man.