Gransnet forums

News & politics

Imperial Measures

(332 Posts)
NotSpaghetti Sat 28-May-22 18:03:13

Just overheard someone say Johnson wants to re-introduce Imperial measurements. Surely not!

Anyone heard this too?

jaylucy Fri 03-Jun-22 11:45:21

I am still mainly imperial - especially when it comes to dimensions !
I can easily picture something that is either in feet and inches, but put it into cms or mms and nope, have no idea!
I have come unstuck with buying items online over the past months - many things have arrived looking a lot smaller than I expected!

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 03-Jun-22 11:39:22

So do I.

growstuff Fri 03-Jun-22 10:12:53

Carrots in Tesco cost about 4p each. There are about 10 carrots in a kilo. I always buy the number of carrots I think I'll need.

StarDreamer Fri 03-Jun-22 10:06:14

From the page linked from my previous post.

> Alongside the Crown symbol guidance, a consultation has been published today on how to implement a change to the law on weights and measures, so that shoppers and business have greater choice over the way they buy and sell products.

> The measurements consultation will run for 12 weeks, and a range of stakeholders are being invited to contribute, including businesses, trade associations, enforcement bodies and consumer organisations.

invited

So does that mean that individuals will have no opportunity to contribute a response to the consultation?

If a kilogramme of carrots costs x, what will two pounds of carrots cost?

The above question is not just about the mathematics of it, but about the practical implications moneywise for people who are shopping.

And not just carrots!

StarDreamer Fri 03-Jun-22 09:50:08

Press release
Crowning glory: Crown symbol pint glasses making a comeback as nation celebrates the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee

www.gov.uk/government/news/crowning-glory-crown-symbol-pint-glasses-making-a-comeback-as-nation-celebrates-the-queens-platinum-jubilee

Chocolatelovinggran Fri 03-Jun-22 06:14:51

Oh, MawtheMerrier - how I love that! Thank you ?

growstuff Fri 03-Jun-22 05:54:48

I've just come across the following on an American health site:

"The DRI (Dietary Reference Intake) is 0.36 grams of protein per pound of body weight.

This amounts to 54 grams per day for an 150 pound sedentary person or 65 grams per day for an 180 pound sedentary person."

hmm

How the heck is anybody supposed to work that out without conversion and a calculator?

DiamondLily Fri 03-Jun-22 04:35:57

The chairman of Asda thinks it's a silly idea, which will lead to even higher prices.

"Plans to bring back imperial measurements have been branded 'complete and utter nonsense' by Asda chairman Lord Rose of Monewden, as he accused the government of appealing to a 'small minority who hark for the past'.

The Conservative peer's comments come as the Government is launching a consultation on the extent to which Britain should adopt imperial measurements - such as pounds and ounces - after leaving the EU.

The plans, which coincide with the Queen's Platinum Jubilee, will also see pub landlords told they can serve pints in glasses adorned with a Crown.

The move back towards imperial measurements, which the UK moved away from under EU rules, has been welcomed by Brexiteers.

But industry groups have warned that new laws to change how the UK measures food and drink could cause already rocketing prices to increase further.

They expressed fears this could worsen the cost-of-living crisis, due to the expense of having to relabel products.

Speaking of the move, Lord Rose, a former chairman of Marks & Spencer, told Times Radio: 'I've never heard such nonsense in my life. I mean, we have got serious problems in the world and we're now saying let's go backwards."

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10880547/Boris-Johnsons-drive-return-imperial-measurements-branded-nonsense-Asda-chairman.html

NotSpaghetti Thu 02-Jun-22 22:27:15

MawtheMerrier

My last word (wish I’d thought of it myself) ????

I love this Maw!

MawtheMerrier Thu 02-Jun-22 19:59:52

JaneJudge

who is Allison Pearson?

Author of “I Don’t Know How She Does It.”

MawtheMerrier Thu 02-Jun-22 19:58:42

My last word (wish I’d thought of it myself) ????

growstuff Wed 01-Jun-22 22:35:16

JaneJudge

who is Allison Pearson?

She's a gobby journalist, who writes for the Telegraph.

growstuff Wed 01-Jun-22 22:33:47

JaneJudge

who is Allison Pearson?

Just goes to show that the EU didn't forbid anything.

JaneJudge Wed 01-Jun-22 21:58:36

or Alison Pearce? grin
Mine were born in the 00s and 90s and we were told kg and Lbs fwiw

JaneJudge Wed 01-Jun-22 21:56:37

who is Allison Pearson?

growstuff Wed 01-Jun-22 21:35:14

I've just checked my daughter's "birth book". She was also born in Chelmsford (in 1992) and her birthweight is recorded as 3.75kg.

growstuff Wed 01-Jun-22 21:32:23

GrannyGravy13

GC born in 2029, midwife told DD weight in lbs and ozs, as were all U.K. born GC.

Well, mine wasn't - and he was born in Chelmsford.

growstuff Wed 01-Jun-22 21:31:04

Yes, I knew he was big - double the weight of the baby in the next bed to me in hospital and the newborn clothes went straight to the charity shop. I still have the booklet they gave me in hospital and his weight isn't recorded anywhere using Imperial measurements.

Callistemon21 Wed 01-Jun-22 20:08:21

I don't know when you or Allison Pearce last had a baby, but my last one was born in 1997 and I was told he was 4.8kg. I don't even know how heavy that is in lbs.

Quite heavy growstuff!!
About 10lbs 6 ozs in imperial weight so well above average.
DGS was a bit heavier still and straight into age 3 month clothes.

mokryna Wed 01-Jun-22 19:57:46

Have you heard this amusing recording on YouTube?

A Guide to Imperial Measurements with Matt Parker

Poppyred Wed 01-Jun-22 19:17:33

Probably not a good idea to change back now. Having said that I always go by imperial measurements as taught in school and never felt the need to learn metric. Have a converter on kitchen wall when needed.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 01-Jun-22 18:57:19

GrannyGravy13 Wed 01-Jun-22 18:57:02

GC born in 2029, midwife told DD weight in lbs and ozs, as were all U.K. born GC.

MawtheMerrier Wed 01-Jun-22 18:38:38

I don't know when you or Allison Pearce last had a baby, but my last one was born in 1997 and I was told he was 4.8kg. I don't even know how heavy that is in lbs
She was 7lb 6 oz

MaizieD Wed 01-Jun-22 18:34:50

NotSpaghetti

Is that true Maisie? Gosh. I'd always thought it was from the Navy - putting your toe on the lines of deck ing boards (when you were just an ordinary seaman with no shoes). As in the underling lining up for inspection.

That's just as plausible as my explanation grin

The essential point is that there's no 'towing' involved..