Gransnet forums

News & politics

Imperial Measures

(331 Posts)
NotSpaghetti Sat 28-May-22 18:03:13

Just overheard someone say Johnson wants to re-introduce Imperial measurements. Surely not!

Anyone heard this too?

Whitewavemark2 Sat 28-May-22 18:07:41

Bloody fool.

MaizieD Sat 28-May-22 18:07:52

Didn't we 'do' this about a year ago?

It's just something else for us to talk about instead of parties while people's relatives were dying alone...

Even if he did it, he's shown us all now that it's absolutely fine to break the law or rules, so who's going to take any notice of a change?

Anniebach Sat 28-May-22 18:11:51

Hope so, I am still doing the - divide by ten multiply by 4 to know how many inches

lixy Sat 28-May-22 18:13:07

Agree MaisieD - while we're haggling about half an ounce goodness alone knows what he'll be up to.

Parsley3 Sat 28-May-22 18:16:22

I hope not. I have been fully metric for decades now and I don’t want to change.

Floriel Sat 28-May-22 18:45:20

Me too Anniebach, I can remember that my bed is 5’ 6” wide, I can’t for the life of me remember what it measures in nasty little centimetres.

OakDryad Sat 28-May-22 18:47:17

This was a 2019 election pledge to restore "ancient liberties". That it was the idea of Rees Mogg should come as no surprise.

Since 2000 when the EU weights and measures directive came into force traders have been legally required to use metric units for the sale by weight or measure of fresh produce.

I can't imagine retailers other than a few belligerent market traders will bother. People under 40 are unlikely to be familar with pounds and ounce. It's a retrograde step to appeal to older Brexiteers.

Apart from the USA, only Myamar and Liberia still use imperial measurements on a daily basis.

www.statista.com/chart/18300/countries-using-the-metric-or-the-imperial-system/

2019 Election pledges not kept:

We will not raise national insurance
We will keep the triple lock
No one should have to sell their home to pay for care
We will build 40 new hospitals across the country
We will build 300,000 new homes each year
We Will Keep Our Existing Energy Cap
We Will Proudly Maintain Our Commitment to Spend 0.7% of GNI on Development
We will build a Northern Powerhouse Rail between Leeds and Manchester

NotSpaghetti Sat 28-May-22 18:48:18

www.google.com/amp/s/metro.co.uk/2022/05/28/boris-johnson-to-announce-imperial-units-change-on-platinum-jubilee-16729733/amp/

Looks like it may be a "Jubilee" thing!
Would hate my grandchildren to have to "convert" back. Metric Maths is so much easier.

paddyann54 Sat 28-May-22 18:48:41

there would be millions of people who learned metric and nothing else ,people like my nieces and daughter .They might find a change. and its not "going back " for them ,a real pain in the neck

Oldnproud Sat 28-May-22 18:50:10

For goodness sake, surely by now, after all these years, we should all have adapted to the simple metric system!

TopsyIrene06 Sat 28-May-22 18:50:28

Yes, heard it before. He never gives up. I have though.

NotSpaghetti Sat 28-May-22 18:50:59

OakDryad - Apart from the USA, only Myamar and Liberia still use imperial measurements on a daily basis.
And even then, the USA use different ones! I don't know about Liberia but the US gallons and so on are very different to UK ones!

Whitewavemark2 Sat 28-May-22 18:51:23

God - someone end this nightmare

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 28-May-22 19:03:59

I would be delighted. Have never got to grips with metric measurements. If it’s good enough for the US, why not for us?

Oopsadaisy1 Sat 28-May-22 19:11:14

Had the Bathroom chap here yesterday, chatting about sizes of this and that, saw me looking lost, oh! he said 56 inches.
Good, I can visualise 56 inches but I had no clue when he said it in metric.
Anyway I can buy a metre of fabric x 54 inches wide!
MrOops bought 2 metres of 4x2 (inches) of wood.

So it seems to be mixed around here.

Allsorts Sat 28-May-22 19:12:17

I still convert everything back to imperial in my head.?

Septimia Sat 28-May-22 19:15:49

Having had to teach metric measurements, I'm reasonably happy using them. However, to be honest, I use both depending on the circumstances. For very small measurements millimetres and grammes can be better than fractions of an inch or of an ounce.

For those of us who experienced the change over, the swap to dividing/multiplying by ten was relatively easy. Can you imagine trying to cope with learning to manage 12 inches in a foot and 16 ounces in a pound etc. when you've grown up with metric?

OakDryad Sat 28-May-22 19:20:58

Rees-Mogg confirmed on 28 April 2022 that physical checks on fresh food from the EU had been delayed for the fourth time. It's now looking like the new border control regime won't be implemented until the end of 2023.

The EU introduced checks on goods arriving from the UK immediately after Brexit.

Our biosecurity is at serious risk but Rees Mogg deems it more important that we can sell potentially contaminated food in pounds and ounces.

Devorgilla Sat 28-May-22 19:27:20

Let's face it, we can do both because we were taught one at school and learnt the other out of necessity. We are the older generation and it is the young who will dictate which they prefer. I haven't heard a single young person express a preference for imperial.

Devorgilla Sat 28-May-22 19:29:56

WW2, your comment took me right back to Henry II -"who will rid me of this turbulent priest?." Where's Canterbury Cathedral and a couple of armed knights when you need them?

Devorgilla Sat 28-May-22 19:31:51

So, JRM wants to restore 'ancient liberties'. Does that include 'Droit de Seigneur'?

volver Sat 28-May-22 19:34:00

Devorgilla

So, JRM wants to restore 'ancient liberties'. Does that include 'Droit de Seigneur'?

I feel ill now....
??

NotSpaghetti Sat 28-May-22 19:34:21

Cheeky Devorgilla!
gringrin

Visgir1 Sat 28-May-22 19:35:28

I was taught mostly metric and some imperial measurement at school in the mid 60'. But at junior school only Decimal currency, so getting us ready for the change over in 1971.

So No.. ridiculous to make any changes, just a stupid rumour.