Gransnet forums

News & politics

RIP The right of a woman to choose

(253 Posts)
Glorianny Fri 24-Jun-22 15:34:51

The US Supreme Court has just overturned Roe. v Wade. Around 25 states are now set to rule abortion illegal. About 13of them have "trigger" legislation which means they will do so immediately. So sorry for all women in the US and the difficulties they will now face

Whitewavemark2 Fri 24-Jun-22 16:39:13

Blimey they are saying that all the 14th Amendment needs looking at which a lawyer says will have potential affects on, contraception, next day abortion pills, gay marriage and much more.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 24-Jun-22 16:44:26

It’s origins according to a woman who belongs to Catholic’s right to choose was originally in Catholic Bishop’s, but was then taken up by the evangelicals after their support of apartheid became no longer viable.

They then promised support to the political party who supported their lobbying. Thus it became a Republican issue.

RichmondPark Fri 24-Jun-22 16:50:03

There might be more commonality on issues than we dare to think.

Jacob Rees-Mogg on abortion.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41172426

The backbencher told ITV's Good Morning Britain that abortion was "morally indefensible". Asked whether his opposition applied in cases of pregnancies resulting from rape or incest, he replied: "I'm afraid so."

Whitewavemark2 Fri 24-Jun-22 16:51:46

That is why they must go. Who knows what else they have in store.

notgran Fri 24-Jun-22 16:53:30

USA is such a dangerous place. Guns, abortion ban, racial unrest etc. Terrifying.

RichmondPark Fri 24-Jun-22 16:56:20

Nicola Sturgeon
@NicolaSturgeon
·
1h
One of the darkest days for women’s rights in my lifetime. Obviously the immediate consequences will be suffered by women in the US - but this will embolden anti-abortion & anti-women forces in other countries too. Solidarity doesn’t feel enough right now - but it is necessary.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 24-Jun-22 17:02:32

?

MayBee70 Fri 24-Jun-22 17:03:11

What is happening to the world?

Devorgilla Fri 24-Jun-22 17:07:02

A massive step backwards for women's rights. Here we go again - fighting for the rights to control our own bodies.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 24-Jun-22 17:11:53

One thing for sure Johnson won’t support it.

RichmondPark Fri 24-Jun-22 17:12:26

Michelle Obama sums it up for me. Horror. Shock that we are back here. Sorrow. Pain for the young women whose lives this will change/end. Hope. Encouragement. Pointers to practical action.

It's a wise lesson in how to carry on despite the moment. To remain powerful and not let your head go down. To use your vote, actions, voice to ensure these people change the world for the worse.

RichmondPark Fri 24-Jun-22 17:13:16

To use your vote, actions, voice to ensure these people DON'T change the world for the worse.

Chocolatelovinggran Fri 24-Jun-22 17:17:20

My late father said that the trouble with the USA started 200 years ago. He declared that many of the first settlers, seeking freedom to worship in their chosen way, were, in fact closed minded bigots (!) ,which set the nation off on the wrong foot from the first wave of immigration. My father was an ( enlightened) Roman Catholic.

pearl79 Fri 24-Jun-22 17:17:56

Well how can men keep us "Barefoot and Pregnant" without abortion laws?
How can they keep us suppressed and repressed? Down and under their thumb? Subservient? All those things that so many Men of the Past wanted? Do they want it again?
Is it coming our way?
Rees-Mogg is likely the tip of the iceberg!

Farzanah Fri 24-Jun-22 17:25:23

This is indeed shocking as everyone on here agrees, and I think we must be very alert in this country as some would like to erode freedom in a similar way.
As usual it is poorer women who will suffer the most. Those with means will always find a way.
?Michelle Obama.

Chocolatelovinggran Fri 24-Jun-22 17:25:51

Good point pearl179 - women were getting far too uppity. The dinner will never be cooked, and as for the laundry....

rafichagran Fri 24-Jun-22 17:32:28

maddyone

They execute people, they make abortion illegal, and all under a Democratic government. Unbelievable!

Totally agree.

Deedaa Fri 24-Jun-22 17:36:10

In any discussion on Facebook there always seem to be a large number of American men who think that a good beating is the answer to any problem. Presumably this includes their wives and girlfriends.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 24-Jun-22 17:44:26

This

Ash Sarkar
@AyoCaesar
Conservative MP Scott Benton celebrates the Supreme Court overturning Roe v Wade. In 22 states, that means near-immediate abortion bans.

RichmondPark Fri 24-Jun-22 17:50:47

Abortion won't even be allowed on medical grounds. An ectopic pregnancy cannot be treated despite the pregnancy being unviable. Someone suffering ectopic pregnancy will have to travel to the next state for treatment....but if the state believe the woman to be travelling to obtain an abortion the woman can be taken into custody!!

This is almost unbearable reading. www.newyorker.com/magazine/2022/07/04/we-are-not-going-back-to-the-time-before-roe-we-are-going-somewhere-worse

maddyone Fri 24-Jun-22 17:52:24

Unlike some grans on here, I don’t think the rights to abortion in the UK will be in any way eroded. JRM may well not agree with abortion, that is his right, but I think his views are simply his views, and not in any way likely to be enacted in this country. No party has ever even suggested making abortion illegal in this country since the 1968 David Steel law was enacted. Thankfully the right to a safe abortion will remain in the UK.

Interestingly I saw something reported last night. It was about an American couple who had gone to Malta, hoping to secure an abortion because their baby was incompatible with life. However Malta also has draconian abortion laws, and no abortion is ever allowed in Malta. I think they are hoping to travel to another nearby country in order to secure the abortion they need. Anyone else see/hear about that? I hope they manage to get the necessary abortion.

Galaxy Fri 24-Jun-22 17:53:51

I agree Maddyone it's not going to happen here. We should be focussing on supporting the women in America.

RichmondPark Fri 24-Jun-22 17:53:56

Lord Moylan
@danielmgmoylan
· 1h
A great victory for US democracy.

Roe v Wade: US Supreme Court overturns landmark abortion ruling telegraph.co.uk/world-news/202

maddyone Fri 24-Jun-22 17:54:02

It’s got me to wondering just how many countries don’t allow abortions. Anyone have any idea?

Whitewavemark2 Fri 24-Jun-22 17:55:03

My DIL suffered an ectopic pregnancy - she was seriously ill even with medical intervention.

What kind of people are these men?